7900 GS 256 mb - Power Needed?

vbimport

Hi,

Does anyone know what PSU i would require to run this. Currently its running off a 320 watt… and whilst it runs i get very very poor fps in call of duty 4 like about 10-30 fps. My other computer has a 7800 GTX 256mb i can get 125 fps… only real diff between them is my other one has a 520 watt PSU. Could this be power related?

All power issues I know resulted freezes or bluescreens, but never low frame rates. That would be new for me.

I must say I really do not know the exact differences between 7800 GTX and 7900 GS. Maybe the problem is that the video card with the “higher” number is not faster.
For example the 7950GT is faster than the 8600GT in most cases.

Since you wrote only that the other PC has over 100fps, tell us more about the two systems (CPU, board, RAM, HDD…)

A friend of mine has a 7800GTX in his computer and it kindly tells him that performance may be reduced due to insufficient power :slight_smile:
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2013956]A friend of mine has a 7800GTX in his computer and it kindly tells him that performance may be reduced due to insufficient power :slight_smile:
//Danne[/QUOTE]
Interesting… never heard this :eek:. In this case a “larger” power supply may help

The GS is a lot slower than the GTX. Like TM said, it sounds like the system specs are also different.

Check to make sure vertical sync is disabled, that slows frams down quite a bit.

Normally a 300watt psu will work fine… I would rather have a good quality 300watt psu, than a bad 500watt…

300W may not be sufficient… but it wont cause slowdowns.
//Danne