7203A and tray drive

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7203A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I just bought an AD-7203A drive and when I close the tray without a disk on it, I can hear a little beep and then three sounds similar to clicks such as the drive is searching a disc.

When I close it with a disc on the tray, then there isn´t any kind of sound.

By the way, it seems to read and burn fine.

Anyone got this similar sound on his/her drive?.

Thank you.

I’m not sure about the beeping sound you mention, but my AD-7203A makes the searching sounds you describe when I close the tray or just turn the drive on (mine is in an external enclosure with an on/off switch).

I don’t think the sounds are anything to worry about.

The sound seems to be normal, I hear it from two 7200Ss, one 7201S, and 7203S.

Sounds like a “pii” or “pee” (if you read it in english :D) and then does this other three sounds as searching a disc.

Yes, it also does the sounds when I switch on the PC. Instead of an external encloure, I’ve got it in the tower.

As you say, it may be a normal startup-sequence, but because I have just bought it yesterday, I would like to know if somebody else hear the same or similar sounds.

Thanks to both :). I should have been writing at the same time than KTL. I didn´t see your answer before.

I thought that this kind of noises could be a defective drive. Just asked to clarify it and if it was a defective one, change it.

Thank you :).