7200S better than 7201S?

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7201S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]My 3550a finally bit the dust and after extensive searching on this site it seemed the 7200 was the way to go for a replacement. Unfortunatly, it’s not the easiest drive to find. I ordered one off Amazon.com and it just arrived today but it’s the 7201. I know the main difference is the 01 has lightscribe but my question is, is the 7200 better than the 01. If so i’m sending the 01 back. Any help is appreciated.

Yes :iagree: 7200S is better than 7201S ( better quality scan with BenQ 1655 )
and I own both model mutiple unit

Figures… I don’t suppose you know where I can purchase one. Every place i go they’re either sold out or no longer carry it. Found some in UK but they don’t ship to US.

[QUOTE=DominionZ;2204115]Figures… I don’t suppose you know where I can purchase one. Every place i go they’re either sold out or no longer carry it. Found some in UK but they don’t ship to US.[/QUOTE]

Here you can find
http://www.cesell.com/home.php?cat=800&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=14
I order twice last year without any problem

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2204012]Yes :iagree: 7200S is better than 7201S ( better quality scan with BenQ 1655 )
and I own both model mutiple unit[/QUOTE]

That’s still not enough of a sample to draw any sort of reasonable conclusion. I’m very skeptical of the idea that what is essentially the same drive, only with the inclusion of lightscribe, is somehow an automatically worse burner. :disagree:

Agreed with today prices every burner serie has more or less great quality variations with in the series. It must be cheap so part tolerances are sure widened out.

7201S has same hardware as 7200S so its not to assume lightscribe would worsen scan abilities. And only because a scan of one drive has a little bit better values don’t means it’s a better scanner. It’s an image of the error correction of the drive and there are always individual differences from drive to drive (also from same series). To deliver the nicest scan means not it’s the best scanner. You must see every individual drive for it’s own.

[quote=Burnsama;2204012]Yes :iagree: 7200S is better than 7201S ( better quality scan with BenQ 1655 )
and I own both model mutiple unit[/quote]

[quote=negritude;2204239]That’s still not enough of a sample to draw any sort of reasonable conclusion. I’m very skeptical of the idea that what is essentially the same drive, only with the inclusion of lightscribe, is somehow an automatically worse burner. :disagree:[/quote] Not having tested the 7201S myself, I also doubt that the 7201 should be any worse (or better) than the 7200 on average.

I’m not sure how many “multiple” units Burnsama has, or if they are of the same or different “batches”?

There is significant variance between individual drives of the same model, and you really shouldn’t conclude anything general about quality difference between models just from experience with one drive of each model - you should merely conclude something specific about those two specific drives.

This BTW is a major problem as I see it with drive reviews - the burn quality depends on the reviewer’s “luck” in getting a good, average or bad drive.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2204321]
This BTW is a major problem as I see it with drive reviews - the burn quality depends on the reviewer’s “luck” in getting a good, average or bad drive.[/QUOTE]

Or which manufactorer provides potential reviewers with selected devices. :bigsmile:

Hmmm
think I 215D and 7200S use same chipset I hear about this somewhere anyway
I will open case cover tonight both drive

and other 216D and 7201S use same chipset NEC MC 10044
I check and post about chipset # last year

I just came open 4 drive case
PIO 215D ( NEC MC10042 )
PIO 216D / 7200S / 7201S ( NEC MC10044 )
I was wrong :doh: sorry for confused about chipset # :sad:

and I just answer 7200S is better
( I did burn more than 50disc each drive )
I did not say 7201S are worse

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2204321]
This BTW is a major problem as I see it with drive reviews - the burn quality depends on the reviewer’s “luck” in getting a good, average or bad drive.[/QUOTE]

because I own multiple writer each model :slight_smile: