7200A stays at low speed after spindown

vbimport

My 7200A (v1.06) tends to stay at a low reading speed after it spins down (maybe just partial spin down to “idle speed”). It happens with multiple discs, all of which are in perfect condition according to an error level scan.

Normal reading speed can always be restored by reinserting the disc, and sometimes by using DriveSpeed to set the drive to a low speed, then to maximum back again.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I’ve mailed Optiarc a few days ago, but there’s no response. Should I persist or is it a waste of time?

This is interesting. I have this behavior too.

I had no choice, I once had to install Vista with my 7200S (I know, shame on me). I had to start the whole installtion process anew (formatting HDD/starting Vista disc again), because it was spinning at low speed and installation would have taken ages. It simply did not go back to higher speeds without ejecting/loading the disc again!

Note that that was with previous frimware than 1.06. So this seems not to be a specific issue of the 1.06 firmware.

Does it still happen now, in normal use?

I got a reply from Optiarc, but no useful information. They suggested it may be due to bad disc conditions (despite me already telling them the discs are pristine, show good scan results, and that reinsertion [and sometimes DriveSpeed] resets the speed to 100%).

They even tried educating me about how CAV reads slower on the inside…

Now I’m waiting for another reply (hopefully I’ve passed the barrier of canned answers).

And I’m surprised no one else noticed this? It smells like a firmware bug, so it’d be rather odd if it turns out to be a unit-specific problem.

Sorry for not replying sooner. I have incredibly busy weeks behind me. Well, yes, it does. And indeed. No other reactions. Strange.

You know, I’m not sure about that, but somehow I have this thought in my head, that prior to my Plextor era, I had at least one drive that didn’t spin up again. Isn’t that a sad but normal behavior with a long tradition to some drives, but not specific to certain brands. I think a DELL/SAMSUNG OEM drive I had once among so many did that too. That one was a DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive.

Did/do you own an AD-7170A or AD-7170S drive? If yes, does that one spin up again?

[QUOTE=georgekellerman;2072764]Sorry for not replying sooner. I have incredibly busy weeks behind me.[/quote]Don’t you just hate these? :slight_smile:

And indeed. No other reactions. Strange.
What reactions?

a sad but normal behavior with a long tradition to some drives, but not specific to certain brands.
I’ve never had a drive do that, not on good discs. I may have encountered drives that after encountering a rough patch with lots of errors took a while to decide to pick up speed again. But I can only attest to the ones I’ve had; Creatives, Yamaha, Sony, and NECs.

Did/do you own an AD-7170A or AD-7170S drive? If yes, does that one spin up again?
Only had 3520 and 3550. Neither had this problem.

Well, no reply from Optiarc after the first useless one. Gotta try through their site again.

I have an Optiarc 7200A and this one is fast to get up to speed again after a reading problem. I’m using Vista SP1.

Do you have original firmware?

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2075396]I have an Optiarc 7200A and this one is fast to get up to speed again after a reading problem.[/quote]The problem is not after the drive reads areas with errors, but on perfect discs. It happens after a spin down due to no reading for a few seconds (might be partial spin down. I think it’s going to x5 or so, then waits some more until a complete stop.)

Do you have original firmware?
Using 1.06 from NEC.

Could it be that the hard disk has a hard time to keep up with saving the data?

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2075651]Could it be that the hard disk has a hard time to keep up with saving the data?[/QUOTE]No. Normal drives wouldn’t slow down their rotational speed according to the speed of read requests. (And in most cases I notice this when the HDD isn’t involved at all.)

I thought it happened when you ripped the disc to the hard disk. Which program do you use when you are reading the disc?

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2075680]Which program do you use when you are reading the disc?[/QUOTE]Any software that reads data from the disc after it has spun down. Stuff like CD Speed might be an exception.

The 2nd reply I got from Optiarc says I should attempt a replacement because the drive “may be defective”. That’s peculiar. How could a drive be defective in such a specific way?

Can other 7200 owners confirm they DON’T suffer from this problem?

I don’t suffer from the problem you described. The Optiarc 7200 writer is actually the best NEC reader I ever had.