7200A in external enclosure?

vbimport

Hi,

I consider getting a 7200A drive. Since there are no free slots in my case, I intend to install it in an external enclosure.
At the moment I have enclosures with Cypress AT2 and GL811E at disposition.

Is there any experience with such a combination?
Slowdowns due to interface issues?
Unability to flash firmware?
Any other nasty things I have to be aware of?

Thanks,
Michael

I guess I could test a 7203A in one of my Cypress AT2 enclosures, if you bribe me with cookies. :stuck_out_tongue:

What do you want to know?

Hi,[quote=DrageMester;2070865]I guess I could test a 7203A in one of my Cypress AT2 enclosures, if you bribe me with cookies. :p[/quote]
http://www.mindspring.com/~cborgnaes/cookies.html - you can even patch them :slight_smile:

What do you want to know?
I just edited my initial post.
I am especially interested to know

• if there are speed limits due to the enclosure
  • if the external installation makes firmware updates impossible (I read something about setting to PIO ages ago)
  • if there are other restrictions

Would be great if you could provide some input :slight_smile:

Michael

There should not be any problem in flashing the 72xx series in an external enclosure. The bootcode bug that stopped the 71xx series being flashed is fixed on this drive.

Regarding speed. It will be dependent on the burst rate of the enclosure. Perhaps 14x would be max on some IDE to USB chipsets. NEC’s own IDE to USB bridge can do 18x without problems.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f58/5-25-nec-chipset-enclosure-12-99-21-98-2-dealsonic-236983/

Hi,[quote=Dee-27;2070881]There should not be any problem in flashing the 72xx series in an external enclosure.[/quote]Thanks, that’s good news :slight_smile:

Regarding speed. It will be dependent on the burst rate of the enclosure. Perhaps 14x would be max on some IDE to USB chipsets.
:iagree: My old Liteon 165P6S reaches 16x with AT2 and GL811E chipset. Other drives I own, don’t, regardless of the UDMA mode these drives support.
I would be satisfied if the NEC can deliver 16x with one of the two chipsets. No need for 18x and above.

NEC’s own IDE to USB bridge can do 18x without problems.
This is a great chipset. But really hard to get here (if at all). And I don’t want to buy another enclosure at the moment.

Thanks for your input,
Michael

[quote=mciahel;2070893]This is a great chipset. But really hard to get here (if at all). And I don’t want to buy another enclosure at the moment.l[/quote] You don’t want to buy more stuff or specifically not an enclosure?

I have one of these for when I can’t be bothered to use an enclosure.
I have flashed my Optiarc AD-7203A using this and I have also burned at approx. 16.5x:

Perhaps I’ll have time tomorrow to try the Cypress AT2 enclosure.

Hi,[quote=DrageMester;2070896]You don’t want to buy more stuff or specifically not an enclosure?[/quote]I have 3 enclosures lying around here, plus a Sharkoon Drive Link :Z thingy. So, no more stuff at the moment.

I have one of these for when I can’t be bothered to use an enclosure.
let me guess: Jmicron chipset?

I have flashed my Optiarc AD-7203A using this and I have also burned at approx. 16.5x:
Looks nice :slight_smile: :iagree:

Perhaps I’ll have time tomorrow to try the Cypress AT2 enclosure.
Great! Thank you :slight_smile:

Michael

[quote=mciahel;2071107]let me guess: Jmicron chipset?[/quote] Is there any way I can see the USB/IDE bridge chipset using Windows or a utility program?

I have a 7200A in a Prolific PL3507 based enclosure and have no problem reading or writing at 16x when connected via USB.

I’ve also flashed the drive a few times using NECWinFlash.

Hi,[quote=DrageMester;2071121]Is there any way I can see the USB/IDE bridge chipset using Windows or a utility program?[/quote]MSInfo32.exe should show PID and VID, that allow some further research.
Another option is to check the Win98 drivers inf file, this is what I have done sometimes before I bought some piece of hardware :wink:

MS has had a tool called UVCView (very nice one) on their servers, but they seem to have that retired.

@mankmeister: Thanks for that information :bow:

Michael

[quote=DrageMester;2070896]I have one of these for when I can’t be bothered to use an enclosure.[/quote] [quote=mciahel;2071107]let me guess: Jmicron chipset?[/quote] [quote=mciahel;2071326]MS has had a tool called UVCView (very nice one) on their servers, but they seem to have that retired.[/quote] I found the UVCView utility elsewhere and it reports that the USB-ATA/ATAPI bridge chipset is indeed by JMicron.

The UVCView utility also disables my Bluetooth mouse when I use it, but that’s another matter. :doh:

Testing an Optiarc AD-7203A in a Cypress AT2 based external enclosure…

1. Flashing firmware using the official flasher is working

2. Flashing firmware using binflash (NECWinFlash) is also working

Now on to read/write tests…

… writing a Verbatim branded 16x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T03) at 20x

The setup is a three-year old Intel Pentium M 760 Dothan 2 GHz laptop with USB connection to the Cypress AT2 based enclosure.

Some programs like IE7, Windows Live Messenger, and a couple of others running in the bacground during all the following tests.

1. Create Disc - the drive almost reaches 18x but not quite

2. Transfer rate test - the drive reaches 16x and 22-23 MB/s burst rate

3. Quality scanning at maximum speed (16x) is for some reason only performed at 13x

4. Another quality scan at 16x - this time the achieved speed is the same as the requested speed

With a faster computer, this drive in a Cypress AT2 based enclosure might be able to reach 18x or more.

In any case, it seems to me that it works as well as can be expected.

Roar,

thanks for testing :slight_smile: :bow:

cheers,
Michael

I can haz cookies now? :smiley:

[quote=DrageMester;2071525]I can haz cookies now? :D[/quote]Of course, they are well deserved :slight_smile:
should be enough for a hungry dragon: