716sa XP Pro 64 Bit Problems

This drive performs flawlessly with my K8N Neo 4 Platinum Pro SLI Motherboard, 3500xp and 32 bit XP Pro. I have a dual-boot with 64 bit XP. The drive works fine while installing the OS, but when I use it after installation the system hangs and it won’t read a disk. I have the newest firmware, have tried reinstalling, different SATA ports, bios settings, etc etc.

It’s odd that it installs with no problems, but fails to work afterwards.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help…

In your bios, do you have the option to set your SATA bios portion to base (IDE) rather than using the RAID setting?

There is a Raid or SATA setting…its on SATA

PROBLEM SOLVED. The solution was to uninstall the nVidia IDE drivers as described in post #20 of this thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=135406

Thanks for the help.

One more question: Why do IDE drivers affect a SATA connection in the first place? I thought SATA was completely independant of IDE/EIDE. Sorry if this is a newb question…

One more question: Why do IDE drivers affect a SATA connection in the first place? I thought SATA was completely independant of IDE/EIDE. Sorry if this is a newb question…

Without getting too involed S ATA still uses ATA/ATAPI(IDE) controllers to configure the Drives. S ATA is just a differnt way of attaching Drives to the IDE controller.HTH.:slight_smile:

IC…Thanks for the info. I need to learn more about it, obviously.