I’m hoping someone here can tell me if my 2nd 716A is toast or if there is something else I can try. I’ll paste my email to Plextor tech support below, it’s been almost 36 hours with no response from them. The drive has been working fine up until a few days ago and my old 708A worked fine when I swapped it with the 716A.
Iâ€™m having trouble with the replacement PX-716A Plextor sent me in early January. (Serial 507424107071, TLA#0101, Firmware 1.04) Yesterday it started taking 25-30 minutes to burn a DVD-Video or Data DVD when the burn speed was set to 16X. It has worked fine up until this point. Using Ahead Nero 220.127.116.11 I noticed the buffer was having trouble keeping up and the drive was pausing frequently. I tried several different DVD+R and â€“R recommended media with the same result. I checked Ultra DMA Settings on my hard drives and the 716A. Hard drives were UDMA 5, the 716A was UDMA 2. I defragged both hard drives and tried burning files from both of them with the same result. I reinstalled my old PX-708A and it works fine. I can burn DVD-Video and Data DVDâ€™s in about 8 minutes, so there is definitely some issue with the 716A.
I ran the self-test on the 716A using Verbatim 16X DVD+R media. It took over 15 minutes for the test to run but it did eject the disk at the end so Iâ€™m not getting any obvious error messages. Also, before I removed it the 716A burned a data CD at 48X with no problem so the trouble seems to just be with DVDâ€™s.
I have Plextools installed but do not run it at Windows startup and have not run it since I installed this replacement drive.
I think the drive is failing again but if you can think of something else to try let me know.
Windows XP Pro SP1
MSI MS-6728 Mainboard with Intel 865PE Chipset and P4 2.8Ghz CPU
WD Raptor 36GB SATA 10,000rpm hard drive
2X160GB Seagate drives in dynamic disk-striping.
1GB (2x512) Corsair Memory
NVidia GeForce 5900XT 128MB
716A Master/ LG DVD Reader Slave