712SA, should I return it?

vbimport

I’m in the process of building my first PC and recently purchased a Plextor 712SA from Newegg. The burner will be used with an Abit AN8-Ultra (Nforce4) motherboard. The 712SA was a last minute decision and I assumed it would be one of the better burners out there. After getting the drive I stumbled across some threads discussing the problems people have been having with SATA optical/recent Plextor drives (not being recognized/bootable, possibly limiting oc options depending on slot used, forced to use PIO, numerous RMAs on 712/716 drives). I’ve been hearing mixed answers on whether or not these issues are still apparent/problematic. The drive is still boxed and sealed and I was wondering if I should RMA-Refund it to Newegg and grab a different, possibly faster burner(1640?) or should I take my chance and see how it does? I need to decide ASAP.

I found the 716A for a good price and if it is worth it, I could spring for that… have all of the “bad” 716’s been filtered out by now?

If I chose to return the burner will there be a 15% restocking fee even if the box is unopened?

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Anyone? :frowning:

Patience! :stuck_out_tongue:

It is IMHO Plextor’s best DVD burner to date. If DL and 16x burning are not important to you, its range of features and quality of burns cannot be beat. My burns on second quality media are as good as other manfacturers burns on TOP quality media. And my burns on top quality media are outstanding.

After getting the drive I stumbled across some threads discussing the problems people have been having with SATA optical/recent Plextor drives (not being recognized/bootable, possibly limiting oc options depending on slot used, forced to use PIO, numerous RMAs on 712/716 drives).

The SATA compatibility issue is true - you must check your mobo manufacturer, chipset, and BIOS revision, and RAID/SATA configuration very carefully. Caveat emptor, fer shure.
You cannot use this forum to determine failure/RMA rates. I’m pretty sure Plextor has sold a lot more 716s than 712s, so it just goes to reason that there will be more RMAs for that drive than the 712. Statistically - Plextor isn’t saying. Also, this forum is full of complainers - I should know because I’m one of them! In all seriousness, though, forums attract people who think they might have problems, not those with glowing testimonials.
If you are forced to use PIO mode (BTW, that’s for IDE and not SATA), then there is something wrong with either your Windows install or your computer, not the drive.

The drive is still boxed and sealed and I was wondering if I should RMA-Refund it to Newegg and grab a different, possibly faster burner(1640?) or should I take my chance and see how it does? I need to decide ASAP.

I think it’s a bit extreme to return a drive, whatever the manufacturer, based on selected negative comments you have read here. What do other sites hardware reviews have to say? What do the 712 scans look like in the scans thread?

I found the 716A for a good price and if it is worth it, I could spring for that… have all of the “bad” 716’s been filtered out by now?

Depends on who you ask. My opinion is that the 716 still has some “issues” (none of which you mentioned above) with 16x capabilities, beta & jitter, and burning quality - so I don’t plan on buying one. Others here who have bought one, have not had to RMA it, and think it’s the best burner they’ve ever owned.

If I chose to return the burner will there be a 15% restocking fee even if the box is unopened?

Only Newegg can answer that authoritatively. My guess is that they probably don’t.

Ftp, thanks for the reply. Sorry for being impatient… needed to make a decision rather quickly. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I am new to reading scans and such but have been trying to learn within the last day or so. I am more concerned w/ write quality than speed which is why I originally assumed the Plextor would be my best bet (still own a 24/10/40A CDRW).

I emailed Newegg asking them about the restocking fee and instead of just answering my question they issued me an RMA #.

So, at this point I’m not sure what to do. I already told Newegg the drives are still sealed so I can’t open them and test them first. I was thinking about just going through w/ the RMA and ordering the Benq 1640 as it’s the same as the 740A, will allow for disc scans IIRC, and will give me no trouble w/ the SATA interface. Whadda ya think?

You seem to be quite knowledgeable on the topic and I appreciate your input.

If you don’t want to risk incompatibility problems I would say go for an ATAPI drive. I’ve searched this Plextor Forum for “AN8” and the threads I found reported problems with the nVidia nForce 4 S-ATA controller and S-ATA optical drives. Some people did get it to work but it was problematic. Of course, I cannot say if these problems are still relevant and if nVidia has fixed them by now but it’s something to keep in mind. The threads I found all referred to the AN8 motherboard from Abit, not the AN8-Ultra. Hope this helps you a little. This thread has a lot of reports about using S-ATA Plextor drives which might also be interesting to read.