712A died

Hi everyone,

I was using my 712A, firmware 1.07 and ImgBurn in burn then verify mode, when I received a Servo Tracking error (Panasonic Branded TYG02 DVD-R). The disc played fine though. To be on the safe side, I upgraded the firmware to 1.08, and once again use ImgBurn, but write only – and the job finished without any problems.

However, after that successful burn, the 712A no longer recognizes any disc I put in – the computer always says “no disc”. I tried downgrading the firmware back to 1.07, then upgrade to 1.09, but neither solved the problem. Now when I put a disc in, it just intermittently flashes orange lights, but it will not recognize anything. Is my drive dead? :frowning:

Please help. Thanks in advance!

712A is an old drive. Your guarantee will have expired anyway.
Open it up and clean the lens, it may have absorbed quite a lot of debris over time.
Did the same for my trusted Premium a few days ago, worked wonders. :slight_smile:

Wow, I’ve never had to do that before. Can I trust the commercially available lens cleaners they sell at computer stores, or do I have to literally take a screw driver and open up the unit and do cleaning that way? I remember reading about knocking the lens or laser off alignment during cleaning and thus render the drive useless anyway…

Remove the front bezel and then open the drive up (yes, you’ll need your trusty screwdriver set) and use a lint-free cloth and some isopropyl alcohol to clean your laser assembly. The commercial lens cleaning kits are hopeless. Let me know if you need some pointers.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

What do you have to lose cleaning this drive anyways? Clean it.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1939143]What do you have to lose cleaning this drive anyways? Clean it.[/QUOTE]

He can loose the chance to repair it by killing it with improper cleaning :stuck_out_tongue:

Steps:

• check yourself for electrostatic charge
  • disconnect all cables, remove the drive from case
  • use emergency eject to open drawer
  • remove front bezel of the drawer
  • remove front bezel of the drive
  • remove 4 screws at the bottom of the drive
  • lift bottom metal plate
  • the drive-assembly can now be taken out of the metal case
  • put the drive assembly on a flat surface with motor-spindle and laser on the upside
  • adjust the drawer and/or laser-sled so you can access the laser easily (do not touch the laser assembly itself, just the sled)

As for cleaning: Any cleaning agent used should be of the “mild” sort. It should not contain any agressive solvents and should not leave any residue material when drying.

I’d not recommend plain glass cleaning equipment. Better look for photographic lens cleaning equipment. Digital SLR sensor cleaning equipment might be the ideal solution. Not only should the cleaning fluid suit the need but it will come with q-tip style swabs that let you apply it to the lens. However plain pure alcohol should do the trick too.

The pic below shows what it will look like (PX-760, drawer fully removed)

Thanks for the detailed instructions, hwp. Question: is the lens part the only area I should use the alcohol to swab? I thought of trying with some sealed packaged pure alcohol pads we have left over at home, since the pads are most likely lint-free; but now I’m thinking the q-tip may be more delicate, though not free of lint. And I’m guessing all other parts should just be gone over with a shot of canned air?

Since opening the optical device is one of your objectives you could also oil the metal ‘‘driver’’ the lens uses for moving, some times works wonders for reviving your old optical device!

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;1939142] Let me know if you need some pointers.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD[/QUOTE]

need some tips from u mate :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=pugdaddy;1939386]Question: is the lens part the only area I should use the alcohol to swab? [/QUOTE]

I think so. Once you have taken a closer look at the lens-assembly you’ll notice it’s quite miniature and delicate. Further cleaning would be very difficult.

[QUOTE=pugdaddy;1939386]And I’m guessing all other parts should just be gone over with a shot of canned air?[/QUOTE]

That should not hurt as long as you respect a minimal distance. Anyway, so far the dirt i’ve encountered in drives is less of the fluffy type but more of the film type. So blowing usually does little or nothing since it really sticks to the surface. However this does not hurt electronics, only optics. You might want to give the tray a cleaning on the occasion. Since it has direct contact with the discs it can have an influence.

As for oiling the sled rails notice they’re greased, not oiled. I’d advise against adding oil unless you find them completely dry. The tyniest amount of oil should be plenty and you don’t want a fog of oil in the operating drive.

Oil them with some high quality oil from like an auto parts store, grease is not recommend…example bearing grease! This type of grease is not used on any drives. Sometimes companies may use a white grease specialy made for these apps. Using small amounts of this oil will speed up reads and stop read and write errors. If your worried about what oil use, then use some mineral oil in small amounts will do just as good. If you can extend the drive another year or hundreds more burns than that is well worth the couple of bucks! Good Luck

I have revived 2 Plextor 716A units in the past by lightly dabbing a Qtip with isopropyl alcohol to clean the lense…

I did not see any residue on the Qtip but it must have been a light film fo whatever…

both units still working fine.
btw:
the errors I was getting was “power calibration error”.

could read a disk but would not burn…

1. Ground yourself etc. etc.
  2. Remove the drive from your 'puter.
  3. Stick a long and thin but strong object (e.g. straightened paper clip or a special emergency eject tool) into the emergency eject hole.
  4. Pull the tray out a few cm and turn the drive over. Place both of your thumbs firmly on the edge of the front cover of the tray and push directly down to unclip and remove it.
  5. Use a small flat head screwdriver to push out the tabs holding the rest of the front bezel onto the chassis.
  6. Unscrew the four retaining screws at the bottom of the chassis. Remove the cover.
  7. Now you can gain access to the laser assembly. Carefully wipe the lens with your isopropyl pads.
  8. Once your done, reassemble the drive. DONE!

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

[quote=hwp;1939301]He can loose the chance to repair it by killing it with improper cleaning :stuck_out_tongue:

Steps:

• check yourself for electrostatic charge
  • disconnect all cables, remove the drive from case
  • use emergency eject to open drawer
  • remove front bezel of the drawer
  • remove front bezel of the drive
  • remove 4 screws at the bottom of the drive
  • lift bottom metal plate
  • the drive-assembly can now be taken out of the metal case
  • put the drive assembly on a flat surface with motor-spindle and laser on the upside
  • adjust the drawer and/or laser-sled so you can access the laser easily (do not touch the laser assembly itself, just the sled)

As for cleaning: Any cleaning agent used should be of the “mild” sort. It should not contain any agressive solvents and should not leave any residue material when drying.

…plain pure alcohol should do the trick too.[/quote]

HWP, I used your cleaning procedure on my dead drive. To clean the lens, I used a sterile cotton ball lightly soaked in isopropyl alcohol and immediately blew it dry using canned air.

While I had it open I cleaned off the slide rails and applied a very small amount of white grease. However, I did not do any adjustments on the drive itself.

After re-assembly, the drive works perfectly.:):):slight_smile:

Thanks a million for the information.

Ralph

Great to hear, Ralph. And thanks for reporting back!

on the attachment of post 6 I see only one len
where Is located the other

A CD and DVD drive only needs one lens. This is because the reading/recoding layer is similar enough in distance that one optical construction can do both. Blu-Ray however needs an entirely different optic. So current CD, DVD, Blu-Ray Drives have two lenses.

One lens, but there’s two lasers underneath (one for CD and one for DVD). You can only clean the lens, if one of the lasers is bad, nothing you can do.

my 712a (2004 mfg) got a problem with burning and reading
after opened It and cleaning the lens there were no problem to write a dvd at x8 and the verification was ok but after this the drive can not read the disc
so I place the disc In tray for 5-6 hrs and go away from pc
when i access back the pc the tray was locked, I restart the pc and now It seems that drive Is dead
when place the disk green led is not blinking and drive says that there Is no disc
Is It completely dead

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;1940142]1. …
2. …
3. …
5. …
6. …
7. Now you can gain access to the laser assembly. Carefully wipe the lens with your isopropyl pads.

[/QUOTE]
Hi there!
I have access only to one side of the lens. Is it possible to clean the other side?

Thank you in advance!