708a too sensitive?

vbimport

I’ve had this drive for quite a few months now and it seems like it is very picky about reading DVDs. Is it just me, or is this common? I’ve tried to make back ups of many movies and if the disc has even the slightest scratch it seems like the drive won’t read it. But then, sometimes, it will tolerate 'em. It is so frustrating. It won’t even read the data dvd my friend gave me but my crappy hp dvd rom drive will. I don’t know what info you need so ill just tell you I have firmware version 1.09, I use Roxio to make the DVDs, dvd Shrink to compress and DVD decrypter to…decrypt.

thanks!

Hi milk_fat, welcome to CDFreaks. I have the external version - 708UF and it reads pressed and burned DVDs (and CDs) without trouble. i’m also using FW 1.09.

do the read issues occur regardless of what program you’re using to rip/read/play?

Yes it happens regardless of how I try to open the disc. I insert the disc into the drive and after a minute or two I get the blinking amber lights.

do you still have the manual? if not, try downloading it from the website and run the self-diagnostics test with a piece of recommended media (verbatim/mcc or fuji/taiyo yuden). blinking amber lights aren’t a good sign (i believe the manual tells you what the different colors/blinks stand for).

And in the FAQ of course :wink: My Plextor drive has a problem I think. Its light is blinking, what does this mean?

OK I ran the diagnostics test and it failed. It has one blinking green light which, according to the manual, indicates a read/write error. I used the disc that came with the drive so it is definitly approved media. I am assuming it is RMA time, yes?

-julie

OK I ran the diagnostics test and it failed. It has one blinking green light which, according to the manual, indicates a read/write error. I used the disc that came with the drive so it is definitly approved media. I am assuming it is RMA time, yes?

yup it’s RMA time if you’re still within your warranty.