708a strange problem Dvd+Rw's

vbimport

I got a box of TDK + RW’s at costco and after two burns only, I noticed the discs are no longer readable in my plextor drive. yet new discs are… anyone ever have problems like this. the discs are still readable in my other dvd drive in my pc and dvd player yet are no longer readable in my plextor drive that made the dam thing.

Do you have the latest FW 1.08?

find out the exact media code by using DVDIDENTIFER. it will tell you who the exact manufacturer is. Gotta use the recommended brands of dvd media that plextor supports. TDK DVD+RW can either be one of the following manufacturers according to www.videohelp.com media section, TDK…001, MCC…A01, PHILIPS.041, RICOHJPNW01, or RICOHJPNW11.

what software are you using to burn? NERO? CLONEDVD?

I am using 1.07 FW version, nero 6 ultra,

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+RW:RICOHJPN-W11-001]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+RW] - [DVD+RW]
Manufacturer Name : [Ricoh Company Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [W11]
Product Revision : [001]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

upgrade to the latest firmware 1.08 which can also enable bitsetting by using the latest nero burn 6.3.1.25 or 6.6 and Plextools.

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 250 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER430 WATT
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE, ANTEC SLK2600AMB CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARD

Yeah, I bought the same TDK [RICOHJPN] DVD+RW 4x and it seems that my PX-708A (fw 1.08) doesn’t like it… burned DVD-Video with Nero 6.6 without problems but my standalone DVD player couldn’t recognise it although it didn’t have any problems recognising Verbatim DVD+RW (MKM) 4x… In Plextools the burned DVD+RW could only be read at 2x

Did you try to enable the SpeedRead option? Sometimes the drive gets locked when it detects that the inserted disc is a DVD-Video disc. Enabling SpeedRead will fix this and make the drive read at full speed again.

I haven’t thought about that, I should recheck the disc once i get home.

I don’t have problems at all with them being played in dvd players, only my 1998 sony doesn’t like it but it wasn’t made to play dvd+r’s or RW’s, my problme is just with the plextor drive alone, once i’ve burned a TDK DVD+RW at 4X disc, two or so times the disc after that can no longer be read in the plextor drive, but everyother drive still reads the disc… the LED lights blink off and on after a minute or two on the plextor so there is no way to erase the disc agian. it acts like normal Dvd+r but can’t be read in the plextor drive. yep others can.

I’ll try uping to 108 but it’s half life2 day so it will have to wait a day or so.

I made sure that SpeedRead is enabled and redid the test: once again in Plextools it was only read at 2x.
But than I tried Nero CD/DVD Speed transfer rate… here is a shot

I had the same problem with DVD+RW. I thought that my drive (708UF) was defective.
Now, after almost 50 coasters, I know that Plextor is not the King of the Quality, and the 708 one of the more incompatible drives with software and media I ever had

I tried with Maxel DVD+RW and with Memorex (RICOHJPN) 1-4X

Firmwares: 1.03, 1.04,1.06, 1.07 and 1.08
Software: Nero 6.3.1.17, DVD Infro pro, Plextools 2.17 and 2.18

The results were very disappointing, because the system froze and DVD were unreadable

Someday I found two Compusa branded DVD+RW and finally I could burn my first DVD Rewritable. No system freezes, no corrupted files, everything Ok.

Believe or Not, these DVD+RW were OPTODISC OPT1 2.5X

Usoledad wrote:

Software: Nero 6.3.1.17, DVD Infro pro, Plextools 2.17 and 2.18

Try updating your Nero to the latest version 6.3.1.25 or 6.6.

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 250 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER430 WATT

hi guy I update firmware to v1.08 and nero v6.6.0.1 but when I goto choose
record/options and I don’t see any thing to set bitsetting on nero
any ideas guy

hi guy I update firmware to v1.08 and nero v6.6.0.1 but when I goto choose
record/options and I don’t see any thing to set bitsetting on nero
any ideas guy

Ummmm…besides having firmware 1.08 and latest Nero you need to install PLEXTOOLS to enable BITSETTING on the 708A drive. :slight_smile:

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 250 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER430 WATT

In my experience Verbatim (MKM) and OPTODISK DVD+RW are fully compatible, it is strange though that these RICOH DVD+RW are poorly written, I doubt it occurs due to poor media quality.
to dvdfun:
You can also use latest Nero CD/DVD Speed utility to enable bitsetting

hi guy,
yes, I can change bitsetting in cd/dvd speed utility for dvd+r to dvd-rom only,
dvd+rw and dl+r is grey out can not change any of that.
Thanks guy

It is correct. DVD+RW bitsetting is not supported by any Plextor DVD-writer, DVD+R DL bitsetting is supported only by the 716 (talking about Plextors, of course).

Regards, :slight_smile:

ET

i have tried a memorex 2.4X DVD+RW (CMC MAG but i forgot the full code because the disc isnt here) with my PX-708A and it could burn it well (well: for cmc quality).
i have some philips 041 4X RW but i burnt them with my NEC so i have no idea how well the plex can handle them.

I am not so sure about media anymore as much as the drive being a lemon. I mean it can’t be that picky. why does some discs work and then stop working all together. I had a problem with the Maxell CD-R’s, I had a spindle of 50 of them, when I first got the drive, they worked perfectly and would burn at 40x but after I got mid way down the spindles the drive started giving me Power Calibration error’s in Nero and now those discs only burn at 8x.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=88095

I flashed my drive to 1.08 and it made no difference in reading the TDK DVD+RW discs. I don’t see the point of uping nero because the drive will not even read the disc let alone yet the software have access to it. I mean it blinks or acts like there is a bad disc in the drive. the light comes up green for a bit and you can tell the drive is having a hard time reading it. then after a minute the drive binks 5 times. can’t read the disc.

With dvd+RWs is it better to do a full disc erase everytime or just a quicky?

I agree with you, updating nero is not a solution. The drive can’t read the disc and the software freezes. I tried two Sony´s DVD+RW (RICOJPN01) and I got unreadable DVD’s (With Nero 6.6.0.1)

I tried again another Compusa DVD+RW (OPTODISC), and the drive read it smootly :smiley: