708A revs up and ruins burns

vbimport

I have been using my 708A burner for almost four months without any problems. Until a week ago, that is. As I burn a DVD with Nero 6, everything goes OK and then all of a sudden the drive revs up and becomes EXTREMELY loud. As this revving up occurs, burning ceases (even though Nero still shows that the project’s still in process).

Like I said, I’ve had the burner for four months and successfully burned almost 300 DVDs. In the past week, I have created almost 10 unusable discs.

I don’t think it could be the media, because I always use the Ritek Ridata brand.

Any suggestions on what may be going on?

Thanks.

I don’t think it could be the media, because I always use the Ritek Ridata brand.

In the last few months RITEK quality has been crappy. There quality control is not the greatest. I would suggest you try to use another brand of media like TAIYO YUDEN(FUJI DVD-R), MAXELL DVD-R, TDK DVD-R (TTG01) @ IMATION DVD+R(RICOH). Those are the RECOMMENDED BRANDS that PLEXTOR supports. RITEK is listed as COMPATIBLE. Although it’s listed as compatible does not mean they will work well with the drive.

At the end of the burn process, when writing the lead-out, the drive will spin-up. This is normal.

It’s not the lead out. This “revving up” happens at any point during the burn: start, middle or near completion.

When it does happen, recording stops from that point on (you can tell by looking at the underside of the disc just how much got recorded and how the rest from the “speed up point” is still blank).

What’s odd is that Nero still shows the recording process is going on.

This just started last week and I haven’t had a successful burn at 4X. Burning at 2X, however, worked up until yesterday when it too made two or three coasters.

I had a drive that started to do that. RMA’d it.

When it does happen, recording stops from that point on (you can tell by looking at the underside of the disc just how much got recorded and how the rest from the “speed up point” is still blank).

Use better dvd media. As I’ve stated RITEK isn’t a brand that is on Plextor’s RECOMMENDED BRANDS OF DVD MEDIA. Use the RECOMMENDED BRAND of DVD MEDIA and if you still have the same problem do the self diagnostic test. If it fails the test then RMA it back to Plextor. Even if you wanted to RMA the drive now, Plextor Tech Support will ask you to do the self diagnostic test before they give you a RMA number.

Yup, I agree with DVD_ADDICT. If your drive also performs like this with recommended media then it’s probably a drive related problem. You could try using the drive in another system to see if it performs the same there. If it does then RMA the drive and get it replaced. Good luck and let us know how things go.

I’m going to call Plextor. The drive did the same thing to a batch of Maxells and Imations that I just bought.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!