708a reads data DVD at 4X, not 8X

vbimport

My new 708a seems to work fine with all burning (DVD and CD) and ripping, except it reads data DVDs at 4X. I would expect it to read at 8X being as it burns at 8X with no problems. I know there is a trick to increase the 2X reading of video DVDs but that doesn’t help with data. Is there something else I’m missing? Firmware is 1.06, using Nero 6.3. Media is Sony DVD+R 4X (Ricoh).

Thanks for any thoughts.
jdr

Welcome to the forums jdr.

The Plextor PX-708A drive should be able to read DVD-R and DVD+R media at 8x maximum. However, since the drive uses the CAV reading method, it will not reach this speed until the end of the read process. So, if you’re using a DVDR discs of let’s say only 1GB the drive will not reach 8x. It could also be a media issue. Have you tried reading other DVDR discs as well?

sorry, i only can write it in german:

die auswurftaste bei GESCHLOSSENER Schublade für ein paar sekunden gedrückt halten bis die led anfängt zu blinken. jetzt die taste loslassen. jetzt öffnet sich die schublade und du kannst die dvd einlegen. die beschränkung der lesegeschwindigkeit ist jetzt aufgehoben!

Great, thanks for the help. I was thinking it might be that, but I thought it applied to writing only. In retrospect, it makes sense that it would apply to both reading and writing. I haven’t tried any other DVDRs since the only ones I have are the ones I burned. May I ask from what software is your screendshot taken?

Thanks for you help!
jdr

Plextools

Ok, thanks. I was afraid of that. I have an American drive and therefore did not get a copy of Plextools with it.

jdr

Originally posted by jdr
Ok, thanks. I was afraid of that. I have an American drive and therefore did not get a copy of Plextools with it.
Read through the FAQ on this Plextor Forum… :wink: I can recommend you install PlexTools Professional because it has great features.

I looked at the FAQ several times but somehow missed the part about Flextools. But I see it now. Thanks so much for the info.

jdr

You are welcome :wink:

Flextools??? LOL This is my second Plextor CD burner(2410A),and I had no idea that you could use the European site to download Plextools for an American Plextor drive or am I reading this wrong??

Hi Bob, of course you can… All Plextor drives are the same, worldwide. :iagree:

The only remark is that on Plextor website you find only an “upgrade version” of the package, so you need an “original” version of Plextools (which is bundled with the drive, in Europe). But this difficulty can be quite easily overcome…

Follow G@M3FR3@K’s advice and read the FAQ… :wink:

Cheers,

ET

Originally posted by RoughRob
I had no idea that you could use the European site to download Plextools for an American Plextor drive

Finally got around to installing Plextools. Thanks for the info. G@M3FR3@K :slight_smile:

Thanks ,ET,I was distracted when i read that,when in actuality,it was painfully obvious…:bigsmile: Thanks again