708a not recognizing blank RIDATA DVD+Rs

Hi. I would greatly appreciate anyone’s two cents…

My Plextor 708a suddenly doesn’t recognize blank RIDATA DVD+Rs. Instead of spinning up and being ready to go, the burner just keeps spinning and spinning as if in perpetual initialization.

Never had problem with this media before-previous 90 or so from same spindle worked great. Blank MEMOREX DVD+R and DVD movies still spinup and initialize just fine. Any ideas?

I have seen this when someone returns a half burned dvd and they repackage them at the bottom of a cake. when you put it in the drive tries to read it but cannot. check closely on the bottom of the disk to see if you see any burn starting at the inner circle. Otherwise you could of just got to a batch of bad dye distribution and when the writer tries to read it it cannot (ie defects).

Hmmm…can’t see any burn. Actually I’m not sure what I’m supposed to see because the blanks look identical to my previous successful burns as far as I can tell.

Anyhow it probably is a defective batch-it was the bottom ten on a 100 stack, from NEWEGG. I hope thats it because I dont want to lay out more bread for a new burner.

By the way, nice hardware! Which burner/media combo gives you the very best write quality?

A failed burn looks kinda like a change in the reflectivity of the disk about halfway through.

By the way, nice hardware! Which burner/media combo gives you the very best write quality?

Ooooo, I don’t think you want to ask him that in the PLEXTOR forum! :bigsmile: