708a having trouble reading some commerical DVD

Hi all,

First post so wanted to say thak you for having this great resource :bow:

Ok now that the butt kissing is done on to my problem / question.

I got a pretty black Plextor 708a roughly a month ago, and I’ve been incredibly happy with it. Been ripping movies and watching movies on it the whole time and not a single problem. Then the other night I went and rented “Master and Commander”, “Miracle”, and “Big Fish”. The only movie the Plextor would read was Miracle – it refused to open the other ones. In DVD Decrypter (the ripping software I use) it gave some sort of spindle error. All three movies worked fine in my TV’s DVD player and in my friends laptop.

I’m wondering if anyone else has experinced this or has any suggestions on what might be the reason of this. I checked for scratches etc and none of the disks were badly damaged.

Thanks
~Monkeywork

Welcome to the forum monkeywork,

It could be a software conflict. When you insert the discs into your drive are there any LEDs blinking on the drive. Any error messages (the exact ones please)?

Ps. Keep in mind that we do not allow people to discuss illegal things here.

outside of the ripping software there is no error – the drive acts like the disk was neve inserted – windows explorer shows the drive as empty and none of my DVD playback software detect anything in there.

I don’t have the disk on me right now (loaned it to a friend to try in his plextor to see if he can duplicate)

try using DVD SHRINK to compress your dvds

dvd_addict – not sure if you read the full thread, there is no problem with my ripping software, the only reason i even mention it is because it is the only thing that I can actually get an error from.

The problem is the drive is not seeing (to play, rip, browse, or anything) the two commericial disks i mentioned.

For the record I use DVD Shrink to compress my disks – thanks for the plug but it has nothing to do with my issue.

back on topic my friend that i loaned the disk to could not duplicate the error on his identical drive. He however is using 1.0.3 firmware version and I had upgraded to 1.0.6. I just rolled mine back and should get the disk back from him in a day or two – i’ll test again then.

dvd_addict – not sure if you read the full thread, there is no problem with my ripping software, the only reason i even mention it is because it is the only thing that I can actually get an error from.

I read your post ok. I suggested you use DVD SHRINK because others have had the same error messages as you mentioned. Instead of using DVD DECRYPTER I would try using DVD SHRINK without ripping with DECRYPTER first. But if you’re saying the dvds aren’t even being read in your 708A then it could be something is wrong with the drive itself. Too many people who have upgraded to the 1.06 firmware are having problems and have had to RMA the drive back to Plextor. Good luck! :slight_smile:

monkey, i had the same problem with cd’s. check this: http://www.plextor.com/english/support/plexhelper/atapi/blink_atapi.html
If your dvd’s have an acceptable quality, the problem is with your drive. You should send a RMA request.

rolled back to 1.0.4 and the disks seem to read ok now.

[QUOTE=monkeywork;604778]rolled back to 1.0.4 and the disks seem to read ok now.[/QUOTE]
hi monkeywork …
i am having the same problem as you do … how did you solve the problem?? :wink: