708A - FW 1.06 fixed slow speed (PIO) problem for me!

vbimport

As the title say’s…

After I upgraded from 1.04 to 1.06, XP seemed to re-detect my drive (it normally doesn’t do this after a FW update) and is now seeing it as a Multi-Word DMA Mode 2 :slight_smile:

It appears to be burning a little faster now :slight_smile:

yup did the same thing to me…

multiword dma2 is not really DMA at all. What you really want it to be is udma2.

Originally posted by sidewinder33625
multiword dma2 is not really DMA at all. What you really want it to be is udma2.

DOH!

Well it’s definitely burning faster, but I have just noticed the buffer (in Nero) is still bouncing up and down like nobody’s business.

My mobo (with the latest BIOS) has a VIA-686B chipset and I have the latest VIA (4.51) drivers installed, yet it’s still saying MWDMA2 not UDMA2.

I have also tried what was suggested in the FAQ as well as one of the registry tweaks that has been posted to this forum, but still no joy.

Does anybody have any further suggestions?

I have to admit, I’m getting sick and tired of compatibility problems with the AMD\VIA combination, it’s back to Intel for me next time.

Do a driver rollback to use Microsoft drivers instead of Via junk!

I know this is an old thread by now, but did you try setting the jumper on the back of the drive? Not sure how this works with the 708A, but with my 712A, the DMA jumper must be removed for UDMA support (factory default).

Cheers,
Alex

Hey Aquarius707, hi.

I’m just wondering what you mean exactly when you talk about the removing the DMA jumper. I have a 712A and only have the option to choose between Master, Slave and Cable Select by using the supplied pin connector on the back of the drive.

Cheers, Kremmen.

Hey!

In some mobo BIOS (like my one) you have to enable UDMA mode for optical drives (CD-ROM, DVD-ROM etc). If this is disabled the highest transfermode is Multi-Word DMA Mode 2!

I have to admit, I’m getting sick and tired of compatibility problems with the AMD\VIA combination, it’s back to Intel for me next time.

Don’t be so sure about going back to INTEL. The INTEL APPLICATION ACCELERATOR has it’s share of problems too. It has conflicts with other dvd burning and authoring software. If you check the FAQ you’ll see it’s recommended to use the MICROSOFT drivers instead of IAA. I just built 2 computers which the mobos had IAA. I had more compatibility issues with the mobos because of IAA not with just optical drives but with USB 2.0 PORTS as well. I installed the MICROSOFT drivers instead of the IAA. No problems now with the USB 2.0 PORTS, optical drives, & with dvd authoring or burning software.

I have a VIA chipset mobo and the 708A drive. I still use firmware 1.04 for my drive and have no problems. I also have the latest drivers from VIA the 4 in 1 drivers. And I still use old NERO BURN version 5.5.10.42! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: