708A Dead? One last try

Hi, folks - my 708A (vintage Dec-2003, purchased sometime in 2004) stopped working and I think I’ve tried everything that’s recommended to debug with no luck. It worked fine until recently, I believe I’m not a heavy user.

For quite a while, the drive blinked green 5 times. According to the Plextor blink codes, the drive recognized a disk but couldn’t read it. At this point, the drive became unusable.

Now, I consistently see 2 amber blinks with any loaded disk, which is supposed to mean “Cannot read a stamped disc or initialize a CD-R/RW disc because the drive cannot properly configure the focus and track adjustment settings.”

Nero Info Tool indicates No Disc Inserted consistently.

The self-diagnostic test gave 3 amber blinks, which indicates the drive may need to be replaced (assuming you’re using blank approved disks) FAQ

A call to Plextor tech support suggested updating the f/w to latest - I did apply 1.12 from 1.10, but saw no improvement. Plextor said go ahead and blow with compressed air but explicitly recommended against opening the box. Since I’m well past the warranty, the cost of repair doesn’t warrant the service.

I opened the drive and blew it with compressed air - although I didn’t see very much dust - and dabbed what I think is the laser with a dry qtip, following this post

Anything else I can try? I’d love to continue to use it, even as a secondary drive in another box. If this is it, then I’m disappointed in the lifespan of this product. Based on reading here, it doesn’t seem typical, so maybe I was just unlucky. :sad:

THANKS

I started getting that “No Disc in Drive” message recently too. I don’t know whether it’s because I recently installed Nero 7.5.1.1, AnyDVD, or the ASPI drivers which were the older 4.60. I reinstalled my ASPI drivers to a later 4.70 version, and it seemed to fix the problem, but I still occasionally get the no disc message.