708A burns DVD but not CD after firmware upgrade

This is too wierd. Did the 1.01 firmware upgrade, and every time I try to burn a CD I get an write error (same brand as I was using before). I tried with Alcohol, Nero, and CDRWin, same result. I reflashed, deleted the drive from device manager and rebooted. Burned CD again, yet another failed burn. Then I burned a DVD, burned at 8X in Nero without any trouble and verified perfectly. Any ideas?

Edit - tried a different media and it works. Guess the 1.01 firmware makes it incompatible with some CDR media, very odd.

Weird indeed, could you post here which media didn’t work anymore?

They are TDK 48X made by the infamous CMC Magnetics. Even my Premium doesn’t like these much, often burning them over 4 minutes or so instead of the usual 2:35. The odd thing is that the 708A never slows down (PowerRec not working right?) so just ends up with a bad burn. I tried Verbatim 48X media (made by Mitsubishi) and they burned just fine.

For my review I’ve burned a couple of CD-R media and the drive’s write quality with low quality media is indeed questionable. When I used quality media like Maxell or TY everything is fine but with some other brands I sometimes get some C2 errors. I think Plextor is working hard to improve media compatibility for the PX-708a drive so I think we’ll see new firmware releases soon.

That is weird. I backed up 3 discs using alcohol and TDK media last night right after the flash. I think they were 48x but can’t say for sure (at work now.) My drive was mfg in Japan.

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
For my review I’ve burned a couple of CD-R media and the drive’s write quality with low quality media is indeed questionable. …

where can we find this review ???

Originally posted by spectra
where can we find this review ???

He’s still working on it :wink:

I had the same problem as well (TDK Ritek 40X media and Memorex Prodisc 48X media)
You can find the thread at:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=12523

Sorry if linking to another site violates rules, but I didn’t feel like rehashing the whole thread here.

It’s no problem when you link to other websites Nhawk.

As for my review, I hope to finish it soon. I’m almost done but I am experiencing some problems with InCD. Keep an eye on our mainsite this week :wink:

Speaking with Plextor Tech support (I’m dealing with Engineering now), they were worried if I was using InCD or Drag to Disc (Roxio).
Apparently these type of programs may not work very well with Plextor 708.

Originally posted by Nhawk
Speaking with Plextor Tech support (I’m dealing with Engineering now), they were worried if I was using InCD or Drag to Disc (Roxio).
Apparently these type of programs may not work very well with Plextor 708.

Yeah tell me about it… Check out my review and see what kind of problems I had with InCD. The software needs almost twice as much time as it should when packet writing or when doing Mount Rainier writing tests :frowning: