708A buffer level goes nutz in NERO

I’m wondering if my 708A drive is crapping out on me. I noticed the buffer level in NERO 6.3.1.25 goes from 10% to 97% and it goes up and down. I’ve never had this happen before, the buffer level has always been at a steady 92% without dropping at all. I’ve burned 2 coasters already using TAIYO YUDEN DVD-R PRINTABLES. :a I’m not happy with wasting good dvd media.

Anyone experience this type of problem before? I wondered if it had anything to do with plextools 2.18 so I downgraded it back to 2.17. I only upgraded to the NERO 6.3.1.25 because of the bitsetting. I had used NERO BURN version 5.5.10.42 from day one and had no problems in burning TAIYO YUDEN discs. Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated! I checked the purchase date of my 708a drive and it’s November 13, 2003. I’ll have to see if this drive is on it’s way out to that BIG PLEXTOR DRIVE HEAVEN up above! If the drive is dying a slow death I would like a RMA. Or better yet send me a 716a drive as a replacement! :bigsmile:

I’m sure is not the DMA problem because you are one of “plextor family member” who always help others with DMA problem lol.

And since you’re also one of 708 “guru” lol, I think we can cross out those system setup, dma jumper etc lol.

Maybe you can try to put the drive in another comp? or change IDE channel?

If you still having problem by this week, I would suggest RMA-ing before it’s too late (a week left lol).

I’ve uninstalled the latest nero and put back the older version just to test out the drive. lol! Yuh, I have another pc to test the drive out. I’m just being lazy although it isn’t hard to remove my drives from my antec cases. Hmmmms I’m really beginning to think the 708a is dying a slow death. I’m doing a simulation with older nero burn and the buffer level is going nutz yet. I’ll have to remove that drive and put it on this pc. I’ll let you know what happens.

Before you remove the drive to another pc, maybe is faster if you change it to another ide. Remember when I got buffer problem with my 716a and I thought because it’s not in UDMA4? Well after I did “something” (I forgot what lol), now my 716a buffer level stays 98-99% even @16x in UDMA2.

:slight_smile: Ok so far I’ve found out that the 708A drive works fine in my PENT 4 3.0 pc. I’ve come to the conclusion it could be the SHUTTLE AV49N motherboard SECONDARY IDE on my PENT 4 2.4 pc. Because I put my PIONEER 107d in the there and got the same nutz buffer levels. :confused: Anyone else have any suggestions? The drives are all DMA enabled, using NERO version 6.3.1.25 with PLEXTOOLS 2.17. I also deleted the secondary ide from device manager and still the same problem. I hope I don’t have to buy another motherboard for that pc. :sad:

EDIT: I did use (3) new 80 pin cables to test the 708A drive and still the same problem. I think I’m going to have to use the 708A drive along with the Pioneer 107d in my PENT 4 3.0 pc. Whoas! I’m going to have to change the configuration with that pc. :eek:

Problem is solved by connecting all my hard drives to the ide controller card, & hooked up the 708A to the primary master ide on the motherboard. The buffer level is steady at 92%. I guess sometime down the road I’ll have to purchase a new motherboard for my Pent 4 2.4 pc since the Secondary IDE doesn’t work. Newegg here I come! LOL! :slight_smile: Thanks Zevia for replying! :slight_smile:

Just a thought but have you checked fragmentation and available space?
Funny it would change all of a sudden but still “work”…

Just a thought but have you checked fragmentation and available space?
Funny it would change all of a sudden but still “work”…

I defragged and yes I have tons of space available. I have the 708A drive back on the original pc that I had it on the PENT 4 2.4. I’m not using the motherboards secondary ide controller. I got all my hard drives on the ide controller card and the 708A on the motherboards primary master ide and my toshiba dvdrom 1612 on slave. Everything works fine now with the 708A drive. I’ll eventually get a new motherboard. Thanks for the reply pchilson!

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE
ANTEC TRUE POWER430 WATT
ANTEC SLK2650 CASE
CANOPUS ADVC-100 ANALOG TO DIGITAL CONVERTER
MAXTOR ATA -133 PCI CONTROLLER CARD

Have your problem solved?
Though mine isn’t Plextor brand but Optorite DD1205, it concerns me as well on buffer level issue while using nero.
Although it hasn’t had any damage in burning, it seems taking much longer time to burn while buffer level moving up and down.
It was burning fine in first few burns when buffer level was stable.

I considered the possibility of harddrive fragment. But I have plenty of space and it wasn’t like that when buffer level was stable.

By the way, I found that playing video is having buffering issue (lack of smoothness) as well when nero is burning with unstable buffer level.

Have your problem solved?

Yes, I solved the problem for now until the new motherboard arrives in a few days. The 2nd IDE controller on the motherboard wasn’t working correctly. I put the 708A drive in another computer which did not have the buffer level in NERO going up and down. It was stable at 92. I then put the 708A back into the older pc but connected it to the primary IDE controller set as master, had all my hard drives connected to a pci controller card. The buffer level was again stable at 92. My conclusion is the 2nd IDE controller on the motherboard is flaking out for some reason or the mobo is dying. That particular mobo is about 2 years old.

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 250 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)120 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 60 GB HARD DRIVE