708A and formatting CD-RW

Hi,

I tried to format a CD-RW with Quick Format (both Plextools and Nero). Both tries failed. The led turned orange and the drive started formatting, but it drive hung up and continued an endless formatting operation. I had to restart to PC to stop the process.
Then I put the same CD-Rw into my good old 1210Ts and it had no problem with the same job.
Any guess???

Mark

What vendor, size, and speed is the media? The 708A will use normal speed @4x, high speed @10x, and Ultra speed @24x. Old media that may work on the 1210 may not work on the 708A.

Yes, you are right. It is a max. 2x media from Princo. I did not know that PX 708A does not support this type of CD-RW.

regards, Mark

Mine did the exact same thing. Only the process killed my drive. When I rebooted the system came back online and the 708A was recognized, it just will no longer read any media. DVD, CDr, CD, Game, NOTHING. Of course this is a year and 1 month so the warranty is no good. i wonder how many customers Plextor is losing every 13 months…

jeez, you act like Plextor does this on purpose and/or that all plextor drives are like this (and no other brand has defective/failed drives :rolleyes: ). i’ve had 2 plex’s for more than 13 months and both are working just fine - one happens to be a 708UF.