708, is it broken?

vbimport

Firmware 1.06
:a :a :a :a
Can write dvd-r dvd+r dvd+rw dvd-rw cd-r cd-rw…
Can’t read dvd-r dvd+r dvd+rw dvd-rw

Read only Cd’s and cd-rw’s.

Blink Code
Amber 2
Auto adjustment failed
Cannot read a stamped disc or initialize a CD-R/RW disc because the drive cannot properly configure the focus and track adjustment settings

Any Solutions?

What program are you using to burn dvds? If you’re using NERO burn upgrade to the latest version. Or flash your drive with firmware 1.04

DVD Decrypter and Nero 6.3.0.2

Firmware 1.04 not burn correct those Verbatim dvd-r.
That’s why i use 1.06. It’s work for a time correct, and now it’s blinking leds… :confused:

Run the self test with recommended media, not crappy media. If it passes, there is something else wrong. If it fails, RMA.

Nero latest version is 6.3.1.6 try upgrading to that version.

What help update nero if it not read?

What help update nero if it not read?

I would suggest flashing the drive back to 1.04 before doing the self test. You may have to flash it back to 1.03 first then flash to 1.04. As bob mentioned do a self test and if that fails RMA it back to Plextor for a new drive. If you read the other posts in here regarding NERO most say the latest version 6.3.1.6 works great with the Plextor 708A firmware 1.06. For me I still use version 5.5.10.42

pardon me, but what’s the rational of flashing the firmware by 1.06 -> 1.03 -> 1.04 rather than 1.06 -> 1.04?

denari wrote

pardon me, but what’s the rational of flashing the firmware by 1.06 -> 1.03 -> 1.04 rather than 1.06 -> 1.04?

:stuck_out_tongue: I suggested that because if you read thru this Plextor forum it was suggested to flash to 1.03 then to 1.04. So instead of being a wiseguy read through this Plextor forum site.

Simple question–did the self test pass??

where find that test?

Look in your owners manual, it has instructions how to do it. If you don’t have it download it from Plextor’s website: http://www.plextor.com/english/support/manuals/manuals.html

I have the same problem.

Since I’ve updated the firmware to 1.6, the drive doesn’t recognized any cd or cdrw, not for reading and not for burning.
I’ve tryed different media.

But with dvdr(w)± everything is ok?

I’ve flashed the drive to 1.3 and then to 1.4 but the problem is still there:confused:

Does somebody knows what could be the problem or shoul I return the drive?

It seems like it’s a common problem for Plextor’s 708A to suddenly stop recognising discs. I had the same problem -as well as many members of the forum- and Plextor (king of service, too, I guess) RMA-ed the drive promptly. I assume it’s only coincidential that it happened just after I upgraded to firmware 1.06 (from 1.04) version.

Same exact problem here. Went from 1.04 --> 1.06 and it won’t recognize a cd-r, blank or already written. No problems with any CD-RW’s or DVD+/-R’s - only CD-R’s. I’ve tried cheap brands and recommended brands. I was burning at full speed with no problems on dirt cheap “no name” CD-R’s for two weeks before upgrading so I don’t buy the “don’t use cheap media” angle. 1.06 has crippled the drive - plain and simple. Problems from the pulled 1.05’s must still be around. I’ve tried going back to 1.03 then to 1.04. No difference. I ran the self test and all’s “fine” with the unit. I just wish Plextor would at least acknowledge that 1.06 is at fault and they are fixing the problem. We all shouldn’t have to RMA drive after drive. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that 1.07 will fix this problem.

sup191 wrote

I ran the self test and all’s “fine” with the unit. I just wish Plextor would at least acknowledge that 1.06 is at fault and they are fixing the problem. We all shouldn’t have to RMA drive after drive. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that 1.07 will fix this problem.

Have you contacted Plextor tech support? I wonder if there will be a firmware 1.07 because Plextor’s newer 712A drive is available soon. What software are you using to burn CD-R? I understand using the latest nero burn 6.3.1.3 with 1.06 firmware is suppose to be ok. Hopefully GAMEFREAK will be able to reply to this post and offer some advice.

Originally posted by DVD_ADDICT
[B]sup191 wrote

Have you contacted Plextor tech support? I wonder if there will be a firmware 1.07 because Plextor’s newer 712A drive is available soon. What software are you using to burn CD-R? I understand using the latest nero burn 6.3.1.3 with 1.06 firmware is suppose to be ok. Hopefully GAMEFREAK will be able to reply to this post and offer some advice. [/B]

It has nothing to do with the burnsoftware you use because the drive can’t even read an original cd anymore.(dvd’s are no problem.

I’m at work currently so I can’t do any tests. I will contact someone at Plextor tonight and hopefully I will have some more information for you this week. I haven’t burned any CD’s with my Plextor PX-708A since upgrading to 1.06 so I can’t comment on that. I tend to use my Premium for CD burning and the 708A for DVD burning only. I’ll report back when I know more!

Thanks for letting us know you are into this thread, too, GAMEFREAK. Your opinion is always valuable.

The drive self test check for write, random seek and verify. If it is really not seeing DVD±R/RW or CD-R/RW , the self test shouldn’t work. If the self test is passing, meaning all is right with the world (within the drive), something else is screwed up.

Since the self test works, and you can’t get recognition on the desktop, RMA the drive. Sounds like something they’d want to check.