$700 device allows criminals to pay with your contactless payment card

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: $700 device allows criminals to pay with your contactless payment card[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/06/myce-contactless-payment-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

A $700 small device is sold on the black market that allows criminals to clone contactless payment cards and then pay with them. The device makes it possible to copy 15 contactless payment cards within a second.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/700-device-allows-criminals-pay-contactless-payment-card-79688/](http://www.myce.com/news/700-device-allows-criminals-pay-contactless-payment-card-79688/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Problems you should know something is not right.

Victims have to be in a range of 8 cm.

If you don’t notice someone that close then your in trouble especially when your making payments or just way to close to you-with a large device in their hand then you are prime target.

Hmmm, it could be I am wrong, but I thought it to be 10 cm… Still I agree with coolcolors, if someone is acting that close to you when you pay, you have to be more than ‘less observant’ not to notice :iagree:

I would imagine that someone with this device could use it at any time, not just while you’re paying, so they could clone at any time by holding the device in a bag and putting it close to your wallet.

It’s almost like picking your pocket, except that you won’t be missing your card, because it’s still there.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2776241]I would imagine that someone with this device could use it at any time, not just while you’re paying, so they could clone at any time by holding the device in a bag and putting it close to your wallet.

It’s almost like picking your pocket, except that you won’t be missing your card, because it’s still there.[/QUOTE]

If that could be done in a passing, I agree the picture would be entirely different :eek:

I’ve no doubt this will become a major issue as it was predicted by the security experts even before this technology was launched.

I was happy enough using a pin code but my bank forced contactless cards on all their customers.

Welcome to the world of banks making things less secure. :rolleyes:

[B]Wombler[/B]

One thing worth noting is that phones with NFC can read most contactless credit/debit cards, including the card # and expiry date and there’s plenty of apps available for doing so. This information is generally not encrypted (at least not with my bank cards). For example, all a criminal would need to do is place the phone in its trousers pocket and walk through a packed crowd. There’s a pretty good chance it’ll capture some cards.

For anyone that travels by public transport or regularly walks through crowded areas, it’s well worth getting an RFID blocking wallet.Â

I have a RFID blocking sleeve I keep my debit card in

If I were a credit card thief, I would attempt to hide a device near a credit card terminal. When customers buy things, I would record their credit card information. Then, I would have plenty of money to steal.

[QUOTE=Seán;2776282]

For anyone that travels by public transport or regularly walks through crowded areas, it’s well worth getting an RFID blocking wallet. [/QUOTE]

You know it really bugs me that we should have to do things like that to protect us from the position the banks have put us in. Crazy! :rolleyes:

[B]Wombler[/B]

No one has to steal. There are plenty of jobs if you are not a lazy bum or ill.And dont tell me about senior citizens, if they didnt plan for their retirement, shame on them.