70% of british prefer physical DVD or Blu-ray over Video on Demand

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: 70% of british prefer physical DVD or Blu-ray over Video on Demand[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2010/11/BluRayDisc-Mirrors.jpg[/newsimage]

DVD and Blu-ray remain popular, according to a report from the British Video Association. More than 22 million british bought a DVD or Blu-ray movie last year, while 3.3 million subscribed to a Video on Demand service like Netflix or Amazon Prime Instant.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/70-of-british-prefer-physical-dvd-or-blu-ray-over-video-on-demand-71868](http://www.myce.com/news/70-of-british-prefer-physical-dvd-or-blu-ray-over-video-on-demand-71868)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I also prefer a DVD.

Optical still rocks for me, but done buying until new 4K format comes out.

4K may still be two years away …

Many of my best friends are in the UK, I love the people there and I would love to know why the British Video Association is not providing factual evidence of their study. I don’t believe it for a minute, the only thing that would hold back streaming video in any country is sufficient broadband service. Why would anyone want to clutter their home with DVDs when they are accessible 24/7 from multiple carriers. Personally I have my movies on Hard drives, but I did not get them from DVDs. Nor did I torrent them. You are right, I don’t live in the UK, but I had an office there when I had my business, and the people in the UK are up to snuff on their technology, even more so than Americans. This study is flawed.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2730234]Many of my best friends are in the UK, I love the people there and I would love to know why the British Video Association is not providing factual evidence of their study. I don’t believe it for a minute, the only thing that would hold back streaming video in any country is sufficient broadband service. Why would anyone want to clutter their home with DVDs when they are accessible 24/7 from multiple carriers. Personally I have my movies on Hard drives, but I did not get them from DVDs. Nor did I torrent them. You are right, I don’t live in the UK, but I had an office there when I had my business, and the people in the UK are up to snuff on their technology, even more so than Americans. This study is flawed.[/QUOTE]

I for one would like to have a physical copy of a movie regardless of broadband services. I do have a 100MBit connection, so it’s not the speed.

How many times I’ve wanted to watched “just that” good youtube or whatnot-video and it is taken down for some reason…

I do have a Netflix account, and I use it only occasionally. At least here the selections are quite poor especially if you want to watch something older.

I don’t trust any stream service providers one bit to retain the selection I wan’t to see. Bankrupcies do happen etc. Only thing you can trust is your own archive.

About 45% of the country doesn’t have access to cheap ultra broadband (above 50 megabits). Nevertheless, in the last 8 years, they’ve made tremendous progress on deployment. The number was a dismal 65% lacking 8 years ago (assuming 20 megabits back then). The other problem is, societal -wise… the UK is a very clan social society… physical media plays into that somewhat. The internet version of ON DEMAND seems a more isolationist viewership, IMO. Also, technology of all sorts costs WAY more, and given the UK’s been in a recession for quite a whle… this is another huge factor. BTW, I love the UK… not bashing here, just explaining…