7% of most popular websites try to ban users with adblock software

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: 7% of most popular websites try to ban users with adblock software[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/02/adblock-95x75.jpeg[/newsimage]

About 7% of the 5,000 most popular websites block visitors using an adblocker, according to a report written by researchers from several Universities. Researchers from the University of Cambridge, Stony Brook, Berkeley, Queen Mary and the International Computer Science Institute analyzed how many websites currently employ anti-adblock technology.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/7-popular-websites-tries-ban-users-adblock-software-79544/](http://www.myce.com/news/7-popular-websites-tries-ban-users-adblock-software-79544/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Any long term solution must address the reasons that brought users to adblockers in the first place”, the researchers conclude.
Really they just figured this out? :wink:

7% of the 5000 most popular websites has been dropped by one user :bigsmile:

I am getting tired of all this ‘let’s do it by force’ instead of taking the subject seriously and start evaluating why Ad-Blockers became an integral part of our surfing culture.

It was not for fun you know, rather it was because of annoyance caused by intrusive ads.

They can try to ban adblockers all they want if a site does not load for me because I use adguard I do not need to be there.:smiley:

Well until they address the problem ad blockers will continue to thrive and expand. The horse is out of the barn and trying to get it back in is next to impossible.

Its up to us, the users/visitors to also return the favor by not visiting those sites that dont want you yo have an adblocker.
Then the question would be how much lower their income is going to be? and how quickly will those sites change their policy on advertisement and adblockers?

[QUOTE=vroom;2775364]Its up to us, the users/visitors to also return the favor by not visiting those sites that dont want you yo have an adblocker.
Then the question would be how much lower their income is going to be? and how quickly will those sites change their policy on advertisement and adblockers?[/QUOTE]
I don’t think that is the problem-the problem is sites use in your face ads and popups that cause undue burden on one’s paid Internet they paid for no one is paying me for my ISP subscription. Now if the ads were on the top or sides or bottom and stayed there I highly doubt people would give it a thought but those aggressive multiple ads/popups are the one driving people to go with adblockers or my PC hosts type blockers. Those sites can help improve traffic if they choose to do so but seems to think “Inside the box of Outside the Box” that is why they can’t seem to think how can we IMPROVE traffic to our site without driving Traffic away. If you want users to come to your site you should look from the stand point of users the more you block them the more they will stop coming and reasonable ads don’t deter people from coming. There is a fine balance between good ads and Intrusive ads to the point you don’t see what your trying to see instead all you see are ads ads ads. That serves no one. Also I know of one Auto Fan site that I am on that if at work when I go there words in the forum sites if you mouse over them they popup ads now what kinda sites does stupid things like this? But at home none of those words links comes up on my computer with my personal PC hosts edits. That’s also the kinda adware I don’t like - it interferes with just the ability to read what is posted. For a forum to do that is unconscionable and boarding on hijacking posting threads and probably violating their own board posting rules against advertisements. So you see it not just ads/popups but some words in the very post could be linked to advertisements even though the poster never permitted it. That is why I use the PC hosts edit route it kills those in word posting advertisements from bothering me. So that I can at least read the posting to see what is being said at home since at work it is a never ending battle to see what is posted.

I agree. Ad’s got out of control. They started as small unobtrusive banners.  Then they became animate banners.  Then animated banners with flashing colours.  Then videos, then Videos that would overlay your screen.   They basically drove people to adblocker’s because the internet looks like some cheap ***** if you don’t run one. Luckily I haven’t encountered too many websites that block adblockers.

I am surprised newspaper sites don’t do it. You can use adblockers to block paywalls… lol.

What I find questionable is that the sites by their ‘modus operandi’ shows little or no responsibility for their part in it all.
First they let any and all obstructive ads display on their site, then when the users had enough and get an ad-blocker, the users are the ‘problem’???

Mind my language, but dang, keep a sober attitude towards it will you? It is the Ad-industry and web-sites which are the real problem as they both had years to evaluate this, but both parties were to ignorant to read the writing on the wall for reasons I will not speculate in.
When the situation was allowed to come this far with very little being done to rectify it, I perceive the whole resulting scenario where the internet users are to blame as nothing but whining.

As a little humoristic view, here is a flowchart to visualize a little and I can’t help thinking they are somewhere in the bottom middle loop desperate for someone to blame, but as much as it is said; trying to blame users for what both parties really are responsible for is not working…

I don’t use an ad-blocker but even if I did, there are very very few sites that I’d regard as absolutely essential except Myce of course! :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]