7.1 speakers?

vbimport

If the DVD and SACD are all 5.1, what is the use of 6.1 or 7.1?

[QUOTE=Goit;2061357]If the DVD and SACD are all 5.1, what is the use of 6.1 or 7.1?[/QUOTE]

On a PC, almost none except for games.

In a HT setup, it offers greater depth of the sound field when used with decoders like DD-EX, DTS-ES, DD PLIIx and of course the lossless HD audio codecs. Most AVRs also offer 7:1 sound field processing.

[QUOTE=CDan;2061391]On a PC, almost none except for games.

In a HT setup, it offers greater depth of the sound field when used with decoders like DD-EX, DTS-ES, DD PLIIx and of course the lossless HD audio codecs. Most AVRs also offer 7:1 sound field processing.[/QUOTE]

As a follow up question, is this kind of speaker good?

http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file=north_product_detail&iproduct_id=fx5051

It is basically one of those digital input speakers that bypasses the analogue soundcard.

I have a different model of Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers, and for some things, they sound every bit as good, as my klipsch pro media speakers.

From experience, you need a larger room to appreciate more than 5.1 channels. The surrounds at the middle of the side walls will be useless in a room smaller than 30 feet long. They are mainly for dealing with gaps in the sound field.

[QUOTE=slytrans69;2061921]From experience, you need a larger room to appreciate more than 5.1 channels. The surrounds at the middle of the side walls will be useless in a room smaller than 30 feet long. They are mainly for dealing with gaps in the sound field.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty inaccurate. Size of the room has less to do with it than the layout of the HT and your listening position relative to the back wall. Furthermore, the “side” speakers in a 7:1 setup correspond to the “rear” speakers in a 5:1 setup. They have nothing to do with “gaps” in the sound field.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2061876]I have a different model of Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers, and for some things, they sound every bit as good, as my klipsch pro media speakers.[/QUOTE]

Aren’t the promedia 2.1 speakers? I was looking for a 5.1 for DVDs and dvd Audio.

What do you mean by “for some things”? Does that include music?

[QUOTE=Goit;2061966]Aren’t the promedia 2.1 speakers? I was looking for a 5.1 for DVDs and dvd Audio.[/QUOTE]They made both at one time but now only make the 2.1’s I believe Rob has the 5.1’s as do i :smiley: and with my Creative X-Fi Elite Pro the sound is incredible.

[QUOTE=Bob;2062000]They made both at one time but now only make the 2.1’s I believe Rob has the 5.1’s as do i :smiley: and with my Creative X-Fi Elite Pro the sound is incredible.[/QUOTE]

Can the promedias be “expanded” into 5.1? Like buying 3 extra satellites?

Also, if you have higher than 5.1, and play a dvd with 5.1, what happens? Do some speakers go silent or do they double up with the others producing the same sound?

If I use 2.1 and 2 sets of 2.0 into a 5.1 setup, but instead of only one of the 2.1 satellites sound, you let both the satellites sound (producing the same channel ofcourse)?