64GB USB 2.0 drive for thirthy-five bucks at Staples

vbimport

http://www.staples.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-64GB-USB-20-USB-Flash-Drive-Black/product_368901

This is a USB 2.0 drive, with rectangular shape (Model: SDCZ36-064G-A11), and it seems sturdier and faster than the rounder model (Model: SDCZ60-064G-A11, which is one hundred bucks, the whole rounder range is to be avoided) from the same manufacturer. The 20GB drive in the same design is twenty bucks, the 16GB is nine bucks, and the 8GB is seven bucks. All these are very cheap.

This is advertised online, and the local B&M store may or may not have them, but you can always ask the local store to order them for you, it comes the next day and you pick it up.

Of course USB 3.0 drive are much faster, if you have a newer computer with USB 3.0 support, but they are very expensive, and for most USB uses speed does not matter anyway.

I’m waiting for an awesome Black Friday deal ($10- $20?)… I currently have a 4gb flash drive as my readyboost… I think 64gb would be a nice upgrade… Anybody having their O/S running from usb flash totally (with the exception of programs directory)?

BTW, I’ve seen online deals for $29.99 f/s too, not sandisk of course… but flash is flash, unless it’s fake…

I stopped by our Staples and showed them the ad. They told me that they would order it and I could pick it up in the next day or two. They showed me a PNY 64GB one and said they would sell it for $40. Our Staples is 11 miles away and about 30 min from the house due to traffic from construction. I also drive a 2004 Crown Vic with about 400 Hp, so that is an hours drive and about $5 to $6 in gas. Iwent ahead and took the PNY.

Here’s a [32Gb Memory Master for $15](http://www.frys.com/product/7051421?site=sa:adpages page:P1_FRI date:082412)…

and a [64Mb Patriot for $29.99](http://www.frys.com/search?plusearch=6827816 7188212)… capless, even. Wheee…

We have MemoryMaster and PNY 64s, and they’re below slow. While that $30 price looks like a deal, when I calculated the hour-long COPY time, I realized I was paying with “what’s left of my lifespan”.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2651786]Here’s a [32Gb Memory Master for $15](http://www.frys.com/product/7051421?site=sa:adpages page:P1_FRI date:082412)…

and a [64Mb Patriot for $29.99](http://www.frys.com/search?plusearch=6827816 7188212)… capless, even. Wheee…

We have MemoryMaster and PNY 64s, and they’re below slow. While that $30 price looks like a deal, when I calculated the hour-long COPY time, I realized I was paying with “what’s left of my lifespan”.[/QUOTE]

One would expect newer to be faster, but the newer and rounder Sandisk model is slower, much slower, and less sturdy, than the older rectangular model. Which is why I said that the rounder model should be avoided. It is below slow.

I’ve been thinking about getting a 32 or 64gb flash drive for readyboost or for interim file storage… but these write speed especially are terrible… 4mb/sec!! Are they serious? If that is the fastest they could make it… then I say it wasn’t worth making it in the first place!! Clearly they want to make money not just on the capapcity but also speed increases as well… this is not innovation, it’s downright greedy…

If you look at the 16gb and smaller drives, these typically have faster read/write speeds… I can’t understand why USB drives are such crap and yet, sdhc flash is so good?!? Read speeds even on 4x(write speed) cards are universally 16.5 - 25MB/sec regardless of capacity… USB? Nope…

TMC - “Why such crap” is my question and the whole Below-Slow crowd’s question, too.

I’m sure these are the garbage chips. The first-runs, the “can we do it?” chips that aren’t fit for normal use.

The Pig-Slop Chips, in other words. So someone sweeps them off the deck, sticks them in a bucket and sends them out to assemblers with a message, “See if you can use them - we won’t put our name on the outside.”

These may be testimonials to the computer assemblers’ notion of recycling - or flea markets. “You can sell anything if it looks like a big enough bargain…”

It’s probably noteworthy that there are huge price variations on these products. The 32Gb prices are fairly stable - from low to high. There aren’t a lot of those that are double-the-price of the cheapest models, and those are usually the USB 3s.

But the 64Gb range has huge variances in prices - the most expensive models are 3 and even 4 times the price. Which means ‘really old inventory’ - yeah, unsellable at those prices when probably the same calibre is $30!

I wish some marketeer would have the courage to print “This is crap, but it works and it’s incredibly cheap!”

I think the term we’re looking for is YMMV… but even brand names such as Sandisk are creating a bad name for themselves with usb 2.0 flash drives that are crap… when you get to the capacities of 32 & 64gb, thereMUST be a minimum write of 10MB/Sec and 20+ read!! Least these mfg. forget, people want to write gigabytes, not a few meg here and there… and take HOURS to write the entire drive… and many minutes to read it back… :disagree:

IMO, this is one place where buying a 3.0 drive for the extra cash is WELL worth the price (the lowest price for the fastest speed & highest capacity you can get, of course). :slight_smile:
Cheapest drives @ Newegg are about $60… read 17mb, write ~10-12 (usb 3.0) If you want the good stuff it seems right now it’s $75 or more (20+ read/write-- average is ~60MB/sec barely besting 2.0 speeds, so they’ve got a waaaays to go)…

TMC, exactly. At these capacities, they must have some speed-level beyond “I can almost burn as many DVDs as fast as burning files to one of these su-low things.”

I fear that Floppy Write speeds top these! Frankly, I’d hate to even test that - what if it was true?!! (“Grab three dozen and finish the job this week, OK?”)

Yes, “only 3.0 for 32Gb and above” sounds like a good rule of thumb. Hopefully those assemblers will use a high-enough quality mem-chip to accept 3.0’s speeds.

I’ve been surveying the crop of 3.0 32 & 64gb flash drives and there is still a wide variety of read/write times… they ALL vary between using the 3.0 interface and the 2.0 or lower interface…

On the low end… 16mb read, 6mb write… for 2.0 // high for 2.0 was 30mb read 20mb write. For 3.0 20mb read and 16mb write seems to be the lowpoint… and it goes up from there… the last drive I saw specs on was 125mb read and 85 write-- I also think there are 200mb read and 50mb write drive out there under the 3.0 spec but they are CRAZY expensive… might as well buy SSD, it’s cheaper…

[QUOTE=Coconut;2651271]the 16GB is nine bucks.[/QUOTE]

Bestbuy has the 16GB USB 2.0 rectangular model for eight bucks, with free shipping. The speed is bearable.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SanDisk+-+Cruzer+16GB+USB+2.0+Flash+Drive/9226875.p?id=1218062423830&skuId=9226875&st=9226777, 9226875, 4089179, 2301792_&cp=1&lp=2

I just posted my notes on the PNY 64Gb that I had, and which was identical to a penpal’s “problem” stick over in the MEMORY CARDS & USB STICKS thread about problems-possible-solutions…

Not a good finding!

[QUOTE=Coconut;2651271]http://www.staples.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-64GB-USB-20-USB-Flash-Drive-Black/product_368901

This is a USB 2.0 drive, with rectangular shape (Model: SDCZ36-064G-A11), and it seems sturdier and faster than the rounder model (Model: SDCZ60-064G-A11, which is one hundred bucks, the whole rounder range is to be avoided) from the same manufacturer. The 20GB drive in the same design is twenty bucks, the 16GB is nine bucks, and the 8GB is seven bucks. All these are very cheap.

This is advertised online, and the local B&M store may or may not have them, but you can always ask the local store to order them for you, it comes the next day and you pick it up.QUOTE]

The prices are back, the 64GB is thirty-five, the 32GB is seventeen, the 16GB is eight.

I’ve done a full 60-Gb COPY process and it didn’t feel so slow, then I did a mass DELETE, started a second 50Gb COPY of different files and dumped those and reformatted the drive.

Here it is, Day 2 and my new PNY 64 (technically an “Attaché 2 64Gb”) seems to be fine. The volatility, though, is noted on so many reviews. “It died after X days” is a recurring theme.

It’s easy to make this a good reason to stop dreaming that a Few Big Ones will be sufficient and opt out for Many Smaller Ones and lessen NAND Death Risks.

Still… I can’t help but feeling like Woody Allen on a first-date with bulging pockets full of change, giving handfuls of pennies, instead of having a slim one or two 64’s.

EDIT: I went over to some PNY website and couldn’t find any mention of an Attaché 2 64. The 32Gb was displayed, but not the 64. I am always suspicious when a vendor doesn’t have even website mentions of one of their products.

I still have some gift cards and new amazon credit I intend to use… can’t decide which/where I will get a new flash drive from, but it’s on my to do list… but so are some other things, including cordless phone batteries from ebay–from a USA seller. X-)

Webmasters are lazy… and it’s possible flash companies RUSHED out 64gb drives this year because a boatload of 128gb drives will be commonplace next year-- BUT there better be a sizeable increase in speed (ie all drives using usb 3.0). B&M Retail’s been the last to get 64gb drives in only the last few months–that I’ve noticed them because they finally reached a reasonable pricepiont. That will give consumers a reason to buy a usb 3.0 card-- in 2010, that feature was at $50+ on a motherboard, but now it’s closer to $20.

Somewhere else, I posted a pix of a ‘bad’ PNY 64Gb - black case with a blue plastic ‘strip’ down its body. “So slow” and ultimately died with a Write-Protect Error.

Over on Newegg, PNY has a service-rep that pays attention and we just completed an 8-device RMA - less than 10 day turnaround - so I’m very impressed with PNY’s service. Maybe not their products YET but we’ll see.

I asked for a diagnosis of the problem drives and I hope their techs will give me some findings. Just out of curiosity.

The 8 replacement drives are identical - no etching on the metallic USB connector, etc, but I’ve filled them up (took about 40 minutes - ugh - with VOB files) then I deleted them (12-13 minutes! yikes) then I re-filled them up overnight. All of them took the 50Gb COPYs, so I’m a happier camper.

Will they last a week or two now? Longevity then becomes the issue.

We’ve seen Fry’s selling these Patriot 32Gb flips for $17 and picked up some of these.

and one thing that certainly can’t be described in this oversize image is the TEENY SIZE of these units.

But notice carefully - the ‘body’ of the unit is only the size of a standard USB Connector. TINY. The nice swivel-back ‘cap’ makes it slightly longer, but we’re still talking a fingernail-sized device. TINY.

Don’t drop this in your salad over lunch - you might swallow it.

Of course, if you’re in a Christopher Walken skit in PULP FICTION, I suppose “small size” has its, uh… place… uhhh… (squirm… twitch…)