64 Bit Questions

vbimport

I was looking at upgrading my motherboard, processor and ram. I decided I wanted to go with 64 Bit and I’ve already figured out which devices I want.
Motherboard
Processor
And ram.

My questions are the following:

1. Does windows xp home edition SP1a support the Athlon 64 bit processor?
  2. Are there any special requirements for device drivers? (Or is that just in 64 bit edition of windows?
  3. From what I can gather from reading off of AMD’s website is that the Athlon64 supports 32bit and 64bit natively and there is no emulation neccessary, is this correct?
  4. Any other suggestions/advice/feedback?

1. I’m quite sure it does.
  2. No, except for the chipset drivers.
  3. Yes
  4. I personally would not go with a nForce-chip since they have rather poor support in other operating systems such as Linux, *BSD and due to the fact the nVidia still hasn’t managed to get working drivers for the nForce2-chip (Windows) which was released years ago (bad omen from my point of view). btw, nForce3 doesn’t feature SoundStorm which was the reason why you would buy nForce based mainboards in the first place.
    //Danne

Does anyone have any experience with the nforce3 chipset and the drivers for it. Maybe they got the issues from nforce2 solved :confused:

I personally would not go with a nForce-chip since they have rather poor support in other operating systems such as Linux, *BSD and due to the fact the nVidia still hasn’t managed to get working drivers for the nForce2-chip (Windows) which was released years ago (bad omen from my point of view). btw, nForce3 doesn’t feature SoundStorm which was the reason why you would buy nForce based mainboards in the first place.

I am not planning on using ny linux or alternative os’s on my machine.

What is soundstorm, is it the onboard audio or what?

Also I was kind of confused on the situation of matching the memory and stuff. The athlon 64 runs at a FSB of 1600MHZ right? But the ddr400 memory is only 400mhz fsb, won’t this cause a bottleneck or am I just confused.

Maybe someone could point me in the direction of how to match memory and motherboard and processors.

Kenshin has the setup, wait for him to get on.

Again, if you don’t know, read up at Anandtech.com. Very in-depth report on the A64 tech.

I thought Athlon 64 runs at 800MHz FSB, but it’s actually 400MHz in sync with 400MHz DDR memory.

Next to me is an Athlon 64 2800+ system. A Chaintech Nforce motherboard that has 4-ch. SATA, GbE, IEEE 1394a, 8-ch. audio. I added two modules of Samsung DDR 400MHz CL3 memory. Windows XP SP1 is the OS I use for all of my 845/865/72xx/Nforce motherboards. I don’t care much for 64-bit. I just wanted to try this Athlon 64 thing because I got a chance to buy the Chaintech board at half the market price, about US$100.

Yep, you probably started to post just the same moment I did.

The heatsink and fan bundled with Athlon 64 2800+ are great. Good for cooling and rather silent. I like the CPU packaging design, too, much different from any Athlon Socket A. I have tried Thunderbird, Duron, Palomino so far, but not Thoroughbred and Barton. I’ll probably have a Barton mobile soon.

I don’t recommend Athlon 64 yet. Right now, Barton 2500+ to 2800+ are the most for the money I think. I bought this Athlon 64 2800+ processor for about US$200. It has only 1800MHz clock which is lower than what Barton 2500+ has.

Quoted from the motherboard listing in my initial post:

Supported CPU: AMD Athlon64 Processors(1600MHz System Bus)
Under the specifications, is this a misprint?

But as a final question, the above combination of mobo, processor, and ram would work well together?

An Athlon 64 setup will do you quite nicely while using any 32Bit OS/Progrmas that you decide upon. My suggestions:

• I do not care much for the NForce3 chipset…The VIA chipset is better suited to the A64. In which case, I’d look at the ABIT or ASUS offerings for only a few $$$ more.
  • You may want to go with the 2800+…it’ll save you ~40$ that can be used elswhere and you’ll only drop 200MHz in CPU speed (this can be made up easily through OCing).
  • You RAM is fine…CRUCIAL and KINGSTON are good choices for basic memory.

The biggest performance increase you’ll receive by going with the Athlon64 is the integrated memory controller. This means that RAM bus speeds are not dependent or hindered by a Northbridge and will operate at the clock speed of the CPU itself

My 2nd rig is an A64 2800+, Foxconn 755A01, and 2x512MB Kingston DDR266 and it has excellent performance in gaming…it also performs exceedingly well during DVD>DIVX encoding under the WinXP 64Bit OS (enough to compete with my P4 3.0).

Most people will look down on the Foxconn because they do not know much about the company…and will further frown upon the SIS chipset because of its past reputation. However, for the money…the Foxconn/SIS solution is by far underrated hardware. In the past 8+ months we’ve been carrying Foxconn motherboards, it has proven itself to be our most reliable brand.

I work for a PC System/Parts retailer and with AthlonXP CPUs I push the NForce2 chipset. But, when it comes to the Athlon64, I recommend VIA and SIS.

jms

Ok, well I decided to go with the 3200+ Barton with 1gig of corsair dual channel memory on Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 With nforce2.

All in all, its gonna cost about $450. Thanks for the information everyone.

Why waste money on a 3200+ when you can get a 2500+ mobile?

Because the fsb isn’t 400mhz.? :confused:

Why would you suggest a 2500+ mobile? What’s the advantage besides being cheaper?

A lot more overclockable though it is not 100% certain.

Foxconn is famous though not exactly as famous as Asus and ABIT. Foxconn makes motherboards for Intel. I have some Foxconn P-ATA cables.

1600MHz is the correct speed but the CPU actually runs at 400MHz FSB so DDR 400MHz is fast enough for Athlon 64. The coming Prescott with 1066MHz FSB will require 533MHz DDR II memory.

These following processors all run at 200MHz system bus clock.

AMD Athlon 64 2800+ (1800MHz): 1600MHz FSB
AMD Barton 3200+: 800MHz FSB
Intel Pentium 4 Northwood C: 800MHz FSB
Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 2.8E: 800MHz FSB

There will be even more confusion thanks to Intel’s new processor IDs.

So what’s the difference between the FSB and System Bus Clock? :confused:

Better ask Intel and AMD. :slight_smile:

I don’t know a good way to explain but it’s something with internal and external clocks. Intel has some documentation about their processor architecture available online.

Here is one for Pentium 4 with 800MHz FSB: ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/30235101.pdf

It says 200MHz FSB frequency for 2.8GHz to 4GHz Pentium 4 520 to 560 on 90nm process in 775-land LGA package. Multiply 14 to 200 and you will get 2.8GHz. The multiplier for 3GHz Pentium 4 LGA 775 is 15. Athlon 64 2800+ runs at 1800MHz so it has 9x multiplier.

@ kwkard

What is soundstorm, is it the onboard audio or what?

Basicly it’s the audio processing unit that makes dolby digital encoding available otherwise it’s just as good or bad as any other onboard sound.

@ Kenshin

I don’t recommend Athlon 64 yet. Right now, Barton 2500+ to 2800+ are the most for the money I think. I bought this Athlon 64 2800+ processor for about US$200. It has only 1800MHz clock which is lower than what Barton 2500+ has.

You can’t compare different CPUs by looking at the Mhz. In that case P4 would be superior which they aren’t.
No, Foxconn aren’t that famous for their Mainboards but many mainboards manufactorers are using Foxconn as a supplier.

@ jmike314
Right on, Foxconn has made an excellent value board for the A64. This is at the moment my favourite mainboard for the A64 although your memory configuration is a bit odd on your 2nd comp… DDR266? :slight_smile:

Going for a high-end Athlon 3200+ instead of A64 3000+ is just stupid from my point of view but hey, its not my money…
//Danne

@kenshin
I know about Foxconn very well. They make boards for INTEL, have done OEM work for DELL, HP/COMPAQ, GATEWAY, and are even producing GIGABYTE boards. They also make a good portion of the parts that every other manufacturer uses to make their boards. May statement was not intended to mean that I was unaware of their status…only that most people seem to have never heard of them, although it’s highly likely that they’ve owned Foxconn products.

@DiiZzYy
Yeh…It was kind of a Franken-Puter that I threw together. In the end, I replaced everything but the video card and memory. I had a gig of Kingston lying around so I figured I’d use it until I came by the $$$ to get a gig of OCZ DDR400 like my P4 rig is running. I’m running Foxconn/SiS solutions on both of my main PCs (P4 3.0 & A64 2800+) and I think they’re rock-solid setups.

@kwkard
I’m with DiiZzYy…the A64 setup would be a more performance oriented machine…but, hey, it’s your $$$. Just make sure you’re happy with what you’re getting.

jms

Well the gigabyte board I was looking at for the Athlon64 didn’t support dual channel memory, but on the other hand it had 4 ide ports 2 that support raid, so it’s kind of a trade off for me. I want the extra performance, but I also want all the extra hdds and opticals. I would get both if I could, but my budget is around 500 or so.