600 pound man being cremated causes grease fire

Original url: http://www.abc4.com/local_news/local_headlines/story.aspx?content_id=231A7EEB-BB03-4D79-B967-2EEA839D3D98

A dead man had one final earthly act before moving on.

Fire officials said the six-hundred pound man was in being cremated when his body fluids were too much for the oven. The body fluids seeped out onto the floor and ignited causing a fire at the Garner Funeral Home in Salt Lake City.

“Those fluids can be very flammable,” said Scott Freitag of the Salt Lake City fire department. “Sort of like a grease fire.” An employee used an extinguisher to put out the fire. The room is self-contained and has its own drainage system. “There really is no risk or a hazard of it getting into the sewer system, the water system or into the general public,” said Freitag. Firefighters rarely see these kind of fires. But they say a six-hundred-pound body can create problems during a cremation.

“It really does condense or breaks down that fat into a greasy product, just like a grease fire,” said Freitag. “Only a little bit can cause a flame to go up.”

The crematorium is back in business and the funeral director said they’ll notify the family to assure them their loved one wasn’t harmed.

I also wonder how many backs were broken when they carried his coffin and how big the coffin actually was. :bigsmile:

A picture of the dude before the err accident (wide angle lens wasn´t available at the time) :eek:


Wow

Aww…that’s sad.

FFS!
What could possibly be done that is worse at this stage … the guy is dead & being cremated!
I think the family needs to understand that their big boy is not getting up and joining the party afterwards.