60-Pack of Playo DVD Media - $4.98 - No Rebates - Staples - 2/17/08

vbimport

For President’s Day weekened, Staples will have the Playo brand of single-layer DVD media on sale for $4.98, with no rebates involved.

Yes, we all know it’s MIC. Yes, we all know it uses fake MCC codes.

However, unlike the other brands of MIC media, like Dynex and NexxTech, the Playo media seems to burn half-way decently, and is acceptable for everyday, but definitely not archival, use.

I repeat, you can save the lectures. We know what these are, but for certain limited uses, they are passable.

And as has been mentioned many times in the past by scoobiedoobie, the +Rs burn much better than the -Rs. The -Rs will do OK at 8x, but with very high PIE. The +Rs can be burned up to 12x.

Yes! I can confirm that PLAYO’s SUCK! BIGTIME! Then again if I remember correctly, they were dvd-r’s!

What ever happened to TEON brand? Those dvd+r’s weren’t so bad… cmc mag e01’s… The PLAYO’s were so bad, about half way through the spindle, they hit the trash bin… My Teons were made in Taiwan!

STAPLES, PLEASE, PLEASE STOP SELLING SUCH JUNK!!! TELL THE FACTORY IN CHINA TO MAKE A BETTER DISC FOR A CHEAP PRICE!!!
How come no cheap media comes out of Taiwan anymore?
We all got spoiled by Free After Rebate dvd media, and now it’s upwards of $50 (B&M / MSRP) for a 100pk spindle!!

My opinion differs I have had very good results with Playo -R and +R media both in my DVD recorders and burning at 8x. They make great give away discs for my use.

With a decent burner and updated firmware I have seen many very good scans with the +R’s. Will they last is the unanswered question.
For this price it’s worth a shot for everyday stuff that you wont need years later. Im in for one just to play with.:iagree:

more toys for my dog, time to toss some frisbees, playo time

For one-offs, I’ve had no problem with +R Playos. I picked some up when the 50-packs were on sale for ~$5 in 2006, and I’d never trust them for archival data (never tried), but for throwing something in the DVD player to watch, they’re definitely worth 10 cents apiece. Now they’re even cheaper, so I’m planning on having my wife pick up five or six spindles (she’s in Oregon, so no tax).

wow, there’s no sales tax in Oregon?

I think the Playo’s are worth a shot atleast. I’ll get one pack and test them.

I got 8 of the 11 packs they had on display and use $9 ink cart coupons about 6.5 cents a disc.

Also 100 thin jewel cases for $14.99

burn/scan test results please :slight_smile:

[B]
is this OK for you?[/B]

I hardly ever do scans, if the disc plays fine.

CCRomeo, that’s pretty good for a max speed scan. Results would have probably been even better at 8x. Certainly good enough for stuff you don’t plan to keep. :iagree:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/CCRomeo/playo2.jpg

They show “Out of Stock” online for both +r and -r. And there are no Staples stores in this neck of the woods, so …

[quote=CCRomeo;2002063]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/CCRomeo/playo2.jpg[/quote]Oops! :cool:

My Litey SATA burner rather likes these Playos. I picked up one spindle this afternoon, but may get another one or two later. But the discs ID as Verbatim MCC 004. Those Chinese have [I]some[/I] nerve! :rolleyes:

The following scan was burned at 12x on my LH-20A1S (I don’t totally trust it for scanning) with ImgBurn 2.4.0.0.
9L08 f/w with FB, EOS and EOHT 3 all ON

Not bad for media that costs only $8.30 per 100! :flower:

[QUOTE=larc919;2002200]My Litey SATA burner rather likes these Playos. I picked up one spindle this afternoon, but may get another one or two later. But the discs ID as Verbatim MCC 004. Those Chinese have [I]some[/I] nerve! :rolleyes:

The following scan was burned at 12x on my LH-20A1S (I don’t totally trust it for scanning) with ImgBurn 2.4.0.0.
9L08 f/w with FB, EOS and EOHT 3 all ON

Not bad for media that costs only $8.30 per 100! :flower:[/QUOTE]

Great result for fake media! :clap:

I dont think it is fake, I just think it is made in a China factory with MCC dye. To be honest these burns are better then alot of the MII MCC I have seen.
Here is mine burned at 16X and 12X, for this price who could argue.

wow…so impressive. Those scans even better than the real verbatim i got from Microcenter. Thanks guys.

Burned with Pioneer 112D and scanned on Samsung 203B. Not a bad result. This graph shows a 12X burn. 16X burns look similar but with about twice the pif errors.

now out of stock; I think they wanted to clean out their stock. I did get 8 on 2/17 in store.