6.2.x + W2k + LG GE20NU10 = BSOD

vbimport

Ugly equation :eek:

I am running a fully patched Windows 2000 machine, where I now decided to install Fab 6.2.1.8 on. During installation I opted to not install the VSO engine. For installation, I was using an account with Admin permissions.

After rebooting I logged in with the restricted account I am normally using. Then I switched on my external DVD writer (LG GE20NU) and started Fab. I see the “Welcome” screen and click continue. After that, Fab crashed with a BSOD stating something with USBSTOR.SYS.

Any ideas?

Michael

That’s the Microsoft driver for external storage devices which I doubt is altered by the DVDFab installation process.

Apparently it’s quite bug ridden but for starters I’d try reinstalling the USBSTOR.SYS file anyway in case it’s become corrupt.

A number of viruses and trojans also masquerade as this file. :eek:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Search for “usbstor.sys”, it should be in “C:\WINNT\system32\drivers” in order for W2K to access it. If not there, copy it to that folder. Wait until the computer has completely booted to plug the drive in and if everything else is ok it will see and use the drive.

Hi,[QUOTE=Wombler;2495834]That’s the Microsoft driver for external storage devices[/quote]I know :iagree:

which I doubt is altered by the DVDFab installation process.
I think you are right.

Apparently it’s quite bug ridden but for starters I’d try reinstalling the USBSTOR.SYS file anyway in case it’s become corrupt.

I can use any CD/DVD writing software with that external drive as well as any media player software. No issues. So I think, the setup is fine here.
Fab 5.2.5.0 is installed also, haven’t had any problems with that, yet. But it seems I have to test again.

A number of viruses and trojans also masquerade as this file. :eek:
My system is clean :smiley:

[QUOTE=90312;2495835]Search for “usbstor.sys”, it should be in “C:\WINNT\system32\drivers” in order for W2K to access it. If not there, copy it to that folder. Wait until the computer has completely booted to plug the drive in and if everything else is ok it will see and use the drive.[/QUOTE]See above - no problems with other applications and external drives.

I guess, there are some routines in Fab 6 that trigger the driver’s crash - at least on W2k.

Michael

W2K is not a supported OS of DVDFAB 6.xxxx…Don’t care what the spec from Fengtao says…Atleast 3 in 10 systems I have worked on with W2K will not properly run DVDFAB 6.xxx, no matter what you do…

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2495848]W2K is not a supported OS of DVDFAB 6.xxxx…Don’t care what the spec from Fengtao says…Atleast 3 in 10 systems I have worked on with W2K will not properly run DVDFAB 6.xxx, no matter what you do…[/QUOTE]

Wrong! It’s not DVDFab6 + W2K or not just W2K because I use Fab and a Samsung external drive regularly with nary a problem using Windows 2000 SP4.

Installing this might help, for sure won’t hurt.

Thanks for all replies :slight_smile:

I played around a bit: Fab 5 gives absolutely no problems. Fab 6 works if my GE20NU is not connected. No problem with other external optical drives. I am now really confused.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2495870]Thanks for all replies :slight_smile:

I played around a bit: Fab 5 gives absolutely no problems. Fab 6 works if my GE20NU is not connected. No problem with other external optical drives. I am now really confused.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Make sure you have the latest version of the USBSTOR.SYS file.

I came across one user that had similar problems with DVDFab v6.2.0.5 and this solved it.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2496012]Make sure you have the latest version of the USBSTOR.SYS file.[/quote]Version 5.0.2195.6655 which comes with SP4.

There are some hotfixes, available on demand[ul]
[li]KB841880[/li][li]KB817765[/li][li]KB823086[/li][li]KB890202[/li][/ul]which don’t seem to be related to the issue I am experiencing here.

The problem is really odd. :confused:
Fab[B]6[/B] works with all my USB connected drives except for my GE20NU10. If that drive is active, Fab6 triggers the BSOD where usbstor.sys seems to be involved.

All other software including Fab[B]5[/B] does not show any problem with that drive.

If usbstor.sys were the problem, I would have been thinking that Fab6 (and possibly other software also) would crash the system regardless of the USB optical drive connected.

Same problem with Fab 6.2.2.0 beta, so I changed the thread title accordingly. Perhaps someone from Fengtao might chime in here :slight_smile:

Michael