6.0.4.0 Immediately Closes After Startup

Well the problem is back again and this is driving me nuts. I had to revert back last time and when I saw this release I was excited and hoping the problem was fixed but boy was I wrong.

Now what makes this even more insane is that I am ripping Stargate Atlantis Season 5 and I had ripped discs 1,2,3,4 using the previous version and I made the stupid mistake of updating to the latest version and now I am trying to rip disc 5 with NO settings changed, NO configuration differences, obviously the same protection and the same hardware, basically EVERYTHING minus the software version is the same and it won’t do it.

I insert the disc, run the application, it shows up and as soon as it begins to scan the disc, it shuts down. Take out the disc and start up, it stays on the screen, put in the disc then and again shuts down right away after begins scanning the disc. Now prepare yourself for what is mind blowing, I insert disc 1, it works fine, I insert disc 2, it works fine, I insert discs 3 and 4, it has the same effect as disc 5, what the hell?

Forgot to add:

PP is disabled
cache ahead is disabled

it has been like this for a long time and has worked just fine on the previous discs, changing these settings doesn’t fix the problem either, I tried.

Wow, no one has anything to say about this? Talk about getting your money’s worth, support has really sucked lately.

[QUOTE=Guardian666;2414068]Wow, no one has anything to say about this? Talk about getting your money’s worth, support has really sucked lately.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried running the offending discs through Nero Disk Speed to see if any errors show up?

There is also the possibility that Fengtao may not have totally fixed the problem, so a PM to him may not be out of order. You could cross-reference this thread to give him a venue for replying…

Programming error or disc error are the only two things occurring to me at the moment…any thoughts from your end? (I know you have experience…).

OC

:slight_smile:

Did you try a rollback to the version that worked on the other discs? This would be a good indicator to see if it’s the program or the disc.

Vers 5.3.2.0 worked for me will try Ver 6.0.4.0 and let you know on it

[QUOTE=Guardian666;2414068]Wow, no one has anything to say about this? [B]Talk about getting your money’s worth, support has really sucked lately[/B].[/QUOTE]

:eek: We members on the help squad didn’t or don’t get paid for our time or trouble, so please don’t make it sound like we are the bad guys here
about 90% of the troubleshooting support comes from us users helping each other, but we don’t always have the answer but we try our best :smiley:
course I’m sure you already know this :bigsmile: :flower:

[QUOTE=OCanada;2414078]Have you tried running the offending discs through Nero Disk Speed to see if any errors show up?

There is also the possibility that Fengtao may not have totally fixed the problem, so a PM to him may not be out of order. You could cross-reference this thread to give him a venue for replying…

Programming error or disc error are the only two things occurring to me at the moment…any thoughts from your end? (I know you have experience…).

OC

:)[/QUOTE]

Sorry it took so long to reply, I was at physical therapy and I was wiped when I came back. Now to the point.

I hadn’t run it for errors but did it at your recommendation and it came back fine, the disc is not an issue, I even played it in the player and it was fine and also plays on the computer fine.

I was hoping he was monitoring the thread for support issues since its the only way really to get any help but might PM him on this. Usually friends like yourself will help out and the issue is resolved but ultimately this has been an issue that has been lingering for a while and needs to be addressed by the developer.

Thanks for your help, I will keep this thread posted on what happens.

No problems here. Ver 6.0.4.0 on Win 7 64 bit and on Win XP Home 32 bit.
Ripped with Pathplayer always on both systems.

Must have a bad disc is all I can think of.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2414082]Did you try a rollback to the version that worked on the other discs? This would be a good indicator to see if it’s the program or the disc.[/QUOTE]

Last time this happened, yes I rolled back and it worked fine. I hadn’t rolled back but being frustrated, I did actually do it before replying to you to make sure and it worked fine on the previous version. Anything since 5.3.2.0 has been giving me issues and this is the second time I have had to roll back to get it working and that’s just getting ridiculous.

[QUOTE=bean55;2414127]Vers 5.3.2.0 worked for me will try Ver 6.0.4.0 and let you know on it[/QUOTE]

Thank you my friend, I would be glad to see if it works for you. As I said above, it worked on the older version like disc 1,2,3,4 had and so whatever it is must be along the same lines as the problem I had with the last update, StormJumper and Jimbo can attest to that one, they tried to help me with it. Let me know how it goes for you, thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2414145]:eek: We members on the help squad didn’t or don’t get paid for our time or trouble, so please don’t make it sound like we are the bad guys here
about 90% of the troubleshooting support comes from us users helping each other, but we don’t always have the answer but we try our best :smiley:
course I’m sure you already know this :bigsmile: :flower:[/QUOTE]

Hello my friend, I was wondering where you were :flower: I know the volunteers do it without getting paid and I love you for it, what I meant was that the developer should really support better, I mean majority of the time we fix our issues ourselves and that gets a bit old since you pay for the software, you expect the developer for TWO major releases now to address this issue. I am sorry in my haste and frustration I didn’t clarify and seemed to bundle all of you glorious friends into the bunch, please forgive me that was not my intention. :flower: We cool?

[QUOTE=bean55;2414150]No problems here. Ver 6.0.4.0 on Win 7 64 bit and on Win XP Home 32 bit.
Ripped with Pathplayer always on both systems.

Must have a bad disc is all I can think of.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear from you and that is weird. I am running the same setup, Win 7, 6.0.4.0 and 32 Bit machine :confused: Ok my pp is off, but it was for the first 4 discs too on the older version, so you think I should turn on pp for just this disc? I will if you tell me to but I would think that is just asinine, no? :doh:

If it’s not the disc and possibly not the software then that leaves hardware.

Are you using a laptop that may be old or getting overheated?
Were you trying all 5 back to back and maybe your burner can not handle 5 in a row?

so you think I should turn on pp for just this disc? I will if you tell me to but I would think that is just asinine, no?

Since I like to experiment I would , but your statement does have merit.

[QUOTE=bean55;2414155]If it’s not the disc and possibly not the software then that leaves hardware.

Are you using a laptop that may be old or getting overheated?
Were you trying all 5 back to back and maybe your burner can not handle 5 in a row?

Since I like to experiment I would , but your statement does have merit.[/QUOTE]

I would think hardware but its relatively new, passes all the checks and works fine with the same disc using an older version, just not the new one.

I am running on a desktop although it rips fine using 6.0.2.0 on my wife’s Vista laptop but not 6.0.4.0 on our other XP laptop. No no boss, I didn’t try them all back to back :slight_smile: I can barely do maybe 3 on a good a day and almost never back to back. There was a full day and half between ripping 3 and 4 and then trying 5 on the new version.

As I said earlier on the suggestion of another friend who was kind enough to help, I rolled back and it ripped fine. So that kinda eliminates both hardware and the disc but I don’t know. This happened before too with the last version and Bedtime Stories and Good Morning Vietnam, StormJumper was there when we tried to debug that and ultimately I had to roll back then too.

I was pretty excited since this new version I hoped had fixed this issue but bam the very first disc it does this to me and has me rolling back again, it just gets disappointing, you know? I have been developing for 20 years and hacking since I was 14 and working with all kinds of hardware since I could hold a saudering iron. I love experimenting as much as the next person but sometimes you just want things to work.

I know what you mean about disappointing.:iagree:

This does seem to be a weird one though. :confused:

Another thought is did you get any Microsoft updates in between, had a problem before that started after an update.

Never did figure it out After a complete reinstall of my system everything started working fine again.

So far I have been pretty lucky and most of my back ups have been smooth running,
Has been a couple that I had to roll back also.Just figured that’s part of the game. :slight_smile:

No recent updates in between. There was a silverlight one and one or more other ones and since I do IT for a living, I am very picky about which updates I install, so I didn’t install anything. In fact last update on the log shows was about a week ago, before this problem started and before the program update. Its a head scratcher alright, thanks for your help though, I will stick with this older version and hopefully fengtao will stop trying to push new features and actually get the basic ones working right first. No point having new features when you break the standard ones. :confused:

I will stick with this older version and hopefully fengtao will stop trying to push new features and actually get the basic ones working right first. No point having new features when you break the standard ones.

I have ver 5.3.2.0 installed and actually use it more than the new 6 version. :bigsmile:
Only use the 6 for ones that 5 can’t do or for testing.

In Fengtao’s defense I would have to say that his product sure cuts out a lot of extra work :iagree: and with you being in IT you know that no 2 machines are the same.:disagree:

It would be close to impossible to get any program to work on all machines all the time.

It worked on 4 out of 5 disc. for you and it has worked on all 5 of the disc on mine. :confused:
Really hope someone can find some kind of answer on this one. I will keep an eye on this one also.

[QUOTE=bean55;2414173]I have ver 5.3.2.0 installed and actually use it more than the new 6 version. :bigsmile:
Only use the 6 for ones that 5 can’t do or for testing.[/quote]

I would do that if I could but I am limited since I do mostly VM for software testing and the laptop is mostly a road warrior for when I need to take my act on the road :Z and I wouldn’t expect it to do anything like this, so I am somewhat limited to my desktop at the moment for it.

In Fengtao’s defense I would have to say that his product sure cuts out a lot of extra work :iagree: and with you being in IT you know that no 2 machines are the same.:disagree:

Oh I know, no two machines are the same. Hell two machines imaged from the same configuration are never the same but still, as much slack as we love to cut it, it should work as expected and not be so finicky. If such slight differences throw it into dysfunction then its not well written. If a software is supposed to do 1,2,3 on x,y,z then it should do it within a high amount of reason unless there is a very fringe anomaly introduced.

It would be close to impossible to get any program to work on all machines all the time.

With great respect for you, I have to disagree. I have written many security application for government/military use and 10 years later, they still work and they were written to work on Win 95 for goodness sakes. As I said, I agree with you that some anomaly is expected but not this much walking on eggshells. Although I know where you are coming from and in spirit I agree with you for a philosophical perspective.

It worked on 4 out of 5 disc. for you and it has worked on all 5 of the disc on mine. :confused:
Really hope someone can find some kind of answer on this one. I will keep an eye on this one also.

Well thank you very kindly for trying, I really do appreciate you testing it for me, I wish I could pay you back for your effort but for me it didn’t and its ok, rolling back took care of it but I would really liked for it to work on this version. I hate having to always run an older version because the newer ones never work. Well not never, I should be fair, on many they don’t work.

I hope we can figure it out and as I said before to SJ and Jimbo and other friends who stuck by me with the previous version giving the same problem, I will hope to figure this out for my own curiosity mostly and the fact that I like to know “THE WHY”, just the way I have always been. If you figure out, I would be grateful to know and if I do, I will extend you the same courtesy. In the meantime lets just say its the alignment of the of the stars :flower:

Hi Guardian666,

You can ues “Always enable PathPlayer” to avoid the problem.

The problem will be fixed in next version.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

[QUOTE=fengtao;2417358]Hi Guardian666,

You can ues “Always enable PathPlayer” to fix the problem.

The problem will be fixed in next version.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Fengtao[/QUOTE]

I look forward to the fix, thanks. PP has always behaved anomalously and makes menus behave oddly. Probably why most people have it disabled.

PathPlayer has been improved a lot, I think you can leave it enabled safely for now.