6.0.1.0 and Vista: clicking ISO locks up

I just installed v6.0.1.0 and it’s locking up in Vista for me. I select “Main Movie” and then select the “ISO” icon so as to select the path/filename for my ISO file. Clicking on that icon immediately locks up DVDFab. I had a bunch of Vista “updates” pending installation so I went ahead and got up-to-date, and rebooted, but I still have the problem.

OK, some more information…

It looks like the new version of DVDFab may not be the problem, as I re-installed v5.3.0.6 and am now having the same problem with that version (though it didn’t happen the last time I used the version - about a week ago).

So it seems like my problem is that something got screwed up on my computer. I was having the problem before doing the Vista updates and had automatic updates turned off, so I don’t think the problem would have been due to any Vista updates within the last week.

Are there any registry settings I could try clearing out or something? Please help. I rip all my DVDs to ISO files, so without this working, this software is essentially completely broken for me.

try searching here in the forum for one of stormjumper’s post and do a clean uninstall and then re-install dvdfab. as for the updates i let a lot of them build up before i took the time to install them. my fix was to install the oldest updates first by date because when i just selected them all at once it really screwed my rig up (some require a system reboot before continuing other updates) may not help your situation though but hope it helps.

Well, the clean uninstall/reinstall didn’t help. I also did some looking around in my Event log and found some errors which, after Googling, seemed to be related to my NVIDIA nForce RAID driver (though I don’t use RAID), so I then tried upgrading and downgrading that driver, but the problem remained (I don’t think this had anything to do with my DVDFab issue anyway).

Any other suggestions? I can at least rip my DVDs to VOB folders/files and then use ImgBurn to convert all that to a single ISO file, but that requires a two-step process that takes twice as long as it used to take for me to have DVDFab rip the movie to a single ISO file, so I’m really hoping that I can get to the bottom of this.

[QUOTE=Scott R;2277105]Well, the clean uninstall/reinstall didn’t help. I also did some looking around in my Event log and found some errors which, after Googling, seemed to be related to my NVIDIA nForce RAID driver (though I don’t use RAID), so I then tried upgrading and downgrading that driver, but the problem remained (I don’t think this had anything to do with my DVDFab issue anyway).

Any other suggestions? I can at least rip my DVDs to VOB folders/files and then use ImgBurn to convert all that to a single ISO file, but that requires a two-step process that takes twice as long as it used to take for me to have DVDFab rip the movie to a single ISO file, so I’m really hoping that I can get to the bottom of this.[/QUOTE]

Sorry didn’t see where you stated the product you are using :confused:
HD Decrypter or the paid ver.
Also I just updated the Guide for Vista which has been modified according to changes made by V6 so maybe try using the new updated guide.

Thanks, I’ll give that a shot. FYI, I paid for it, and I’ve got the lifetime DVD-to-DVD and DVD-to-Mobile license. A little more background…

• I successfully used a prior version (I can’t remember exactly which version - but it was probably a month-old or so v5 beta version) about a week ago to rip a DVD to ISO.
  • I went away on business for a week and came back and found that there was a v6 out so I upgraded to it and then (if I’m remembering the sequence right) uninstalled my v5 version.
  • Going in to rip my first DVD with the new version resulted in the problem.
  • I then tried uninstalling v6, re-installing v5, following your guide, etc. and nothing worked, so I’m back now to using the v6.0.1.0 version.

alot of people report problems with the vso burn engine thats installed (by option) in dvdfab’s setting click the write tab and you can select IMGBurn as the default burn engine. Ask Stormjumper to post how to configure it to work seamlessly for you, wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a sticky on how to do that here in the fab forum I think.

If you want to set ImgBurn as the burn engine in DVDFab go into common settings->“Write” select ImgBurn in the dropdown window, also set the write speed to “Recommend” you will need ImgBurn installed and do the following…

Open ImgBurn and click on “Tools” located on the menu bar and select "Settings"
click on the “Build” tab and make sure there is a check mark in the following boxes
1…Check 'Close Program’
2…Don’t Prompt Image Details
3…Don’t Prompt VIDEO_TS Content
4…Don’t Prompt Volume Label
any other boxes can stay as they are.

To set the write/burn speed do the following
Put a blank disc into the drive/burner, with ImgBurn open make sure your drive is selected in the target window…(lower leftside)
Now on the right hand side click on the “Device” tab, now on the very bottom right you’ll see three buttons click on the top button to open the write speed settings page.
On the lower left side under “Settings” you will see a window next to “Disc ID” which will contain the MID(Media ID) of the blank disc that you have in your drive/burner, just below that window is where you can set the burn speed for that perticular MID once you enter the write speed click on the “ADD”…NOTE…each time you buy a new spindle of media you should check the MID becuase it can change even when using the same brand name.
the other dropdown window below is for setting a perticular drive/burner if you have more then one and one of them has better results with that MID at a different write speed

On top of things as usual, sorry for causing you more work Stormjumper lol

[QUOTE=riptorn;2277133]On top of things as usual, sorry for causing you more work Stormjumper lol[/QUOTE]

Such is life :wink:

You should put this in the sig too. I use it standalone, but many don’t.[QUOTE=StormJumper;2277130]If you want to set ImgBurn as the burn engine in DVDFab go into common settings->“Write” select ImgBurn in the dropdown window, also set the write speed to “Recommend” you will need ImgBurn installed and do the following…

Open ImgBurn and click on “Tools” located on the menu bar and select "Settings"
click on the “Build” tab and make sure there is a check mark in the following boxes
1…Check 'Close Program’
2…Don’t Prompt Image Details
3…Don’t Prompt VIDEO_TS Content
4…Don’t Prompt Volume Label
any other boxes can stay as they are.

To set the write/burn speed do the following
Put a blank disc into the drive/burner, with ImgBurn open make sure your drive is selected in the target window…(lower leftside)
Now on the right hand side click on the “Device” tab, now on the very bottom right you’ll see three buttons click on the top button to open the write speed settings page.
On the lower left side under “Settings” you will see a window next to “Disc ID” which will contain the MID(Media ID) of the blank disc that you have in your drive/burner, just below that window is where you can set the burn speed for that perticular MID once you enter the write speed click on the “ADD”…NOTE…each time you buy a new spindle of media you should check the MID becuase it can change even when using the same brand name.
the other dropdown window below is for setting a perticular drive/burner if you have more then one and one of them has better results with that MID at a different write speed[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=signals;2277149]You should put this in the sig too. I use it standalone, but many don’t.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion :flower:

Success! Switching over to using ImgBurn didn’t fix my problem, but going through the updated clean uninstall guide did. I’m guessing that cleaning up the registry was the missing ingredient for me.

A few bits of feedback on your guide…

Step 2: It states “open the your folder”. Aside from the grammatical error there, I’m not sure which folder you’re directing me to. I did have a “Documents” folder visible as soon as I click on “Start” so for me, steps 2 and 3 were sort of combined (I clicked on “Start” and then “Documents”).

Step 4: It states “On the on the menu bar…” This should probably be reworded as “Open File Explorer. On the menu bar…”

Step 5: This time around, I didn’t have a “DVDFab” folder. Perhaps v6 doesn’t create this folder? (I had previously deleted this folder when following an older version of your guide, and then installed v6). Also, I see that in your updated guide you’re no longer directing us to delete the pcouffin files. Should we? FWIW, I didn’t delete them this time around.

Step 6: The option isn’t labeled “Hide files and folders.” Unfortunately, I don’t remember how it’s labeled and I’m typing this on an XP machine (my Vista desktop is in the other room). I knew what to do, but I figured I’d point this out in case you wanted to double-check the specific wording to make the guide as easy as possible.

Step 7: FWIW, I never got any error messages telling me that I didn’t have permission to touch the Prefetch folder contents.

Step 8: Oops. I see now that I missed this step altogether. Obviously, it wasn’t critical in my case. Just out of curiosity, what freeware registry cleaners would you recommend (you may want to add that to the guide).

Step 9: FWIW, I never found any DVDFab folders under HKEY_USERS.

One last comment: you may want to revise the wording in your guide when telling people to delete the DVDFab folders (whether within File Explorer or the registry) that they should delete any and all folders that begin with the DVDFab prefix. In my case, I had a lot of folders out there from prior installs, not just the single instances referred to in your guide.

Anyways, thanks again for your help. You should pester Fengtao to incorporate some/all of the cleanup advised in your guide into his uninstall routine. My guess is that installing v6 on top of one or more pre-existing v5 versions (possibly specific to previously installed beta versions) caused the problem for me.

One last question…what are the pros/cons of using VSO vs ImgBurn (especially in my case, where I’m not even planning to burn to a disc - I’m ripping to a single ISO file and storing it on an external HD connected to an always-on desktop PC for streaming to multiple XBox XBMC boxes within my house).

[QUOTE=Scott R;2277208]One last question…what are the pros/cons of using VSO vs ImgBurn (especially in my case, where I’m not even planning to burn to a disc - I’m ripping to a single ISO file and storing it on an external HD connected to an always-on desktop PC for streaming to multiple XBox XBMC boxes within my house).[/QUOTE]

Pros of VSO…It is the default burn engine of DVDFab
Cons of VSO…It has many known issues for many users

Pros for ImgBurn…It is the BEST burn engone which has more control of your drive/burner and the write speed of your drive, also you can set diifferent write speed for different MID(media ID) and once you set the write speed for each MID that you use ImgBurn will detect the MID of the blank media you have placed in your drive/burner and will burn at the write speed you have already set … thus you never have to change the write speed
also unerstands the write strategy of low to poor quality media :wink:

Cons for ImgBurn…NONE