57% of computer users use pirated software

vbimport

57% of computer users use pirated software.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/[/newsimage]

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/57-of-computer-users-use-pirated-software-61841/](http://www.myce.com/news/57-of-computer-users-use-pirated-software-61841/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

In other words, only 43% of the world population (at least the surveyed population) disagrees with piracy.

Laws are defined by what is normal. 57% exceeds the 50%+1 requirement for normal, therefore piracy should be legalised :iagree:

This survey was conducted by the Business Software Alliance. Why should they say anything else? If there was almost no piracy, the software publishers would not actually need the BSA.

I guess we need to build more prisons? If 57% is a realistic number then it is game over for fighting piracy.

I see bought ways,I know if I was a musical person that I’d be reimburse for my talent but the idea of more people that view my work the more fans I get the more cds or dvds I sell.You also make music more available to people that can’t afford to buy it.and wide in the music field to a group of people that wouldn’t be able to hear great things.I believe in free software -why does the rich get to better them self’s and not the rest of the world.

[QUOTE=debro;2636318]In other words, only 43% of the world population (at least the surveyed population) disagrees with piracy.

Laws are defined by what is normal. 57% exceeds the 50%+1 requirement for normal, therefore piracy should be legalised :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Either that or are too lazy to spend a few minutes to look at their options. I am still amazed at the number of people who throw away ridiculous amounts of money because they refuse to do a little bit of research/shopping to get the best price on things. I guess I am too much of a money miser.

With all the free software available the average person really doesn’t need to buy any software, including operating systems. Open Office is a good example of free software that will do nearly everything the average person needs and then some.

[QUOTE=UTR;2636359]With all the free software available the average person really doesn’t need to buy any software, including operating systems. Open Office is a good example of free software that will do nearly everything the average person needs and then some.[/QUOTE]

Yup, forgot to add that for those who want to save money and don’t mind a little work, Open Office will work well. That said however, I have had some issues with it displaying certain things such as Pamphlets made with MS Word properly. For regular text though Open Office works great.

I prefer the fork of Open Office called LibreOffice. Many of the developers have moved to this version.

And free software is amazing these days. There is so much that can be done without spending anything, unless you just want to contribute to the authors. ImgBurn, AVStoDVD, BDRebuilder, Media Player Classic Home Cinema, VLC, Audacity…this list can go on for a ways. I have more free software than paid, by far.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2636319]This survey was conducted by the Business Software Alliance. Why should they say anything else? If there was almost no piracy, the software publishers would not actually need the BSA.[/QUOTE]That’s right. All surveys get the desired results. That’s why the’re called “scientific” surveys. Plus, it isn’t as if everyone tells the truth in surveys. I wonder how many people say they do something just because their friends say they do it, but in reality none of them do it. After all, it apparently isn’t cool to not pirate software these days, at least a little bit.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2636381]I prefer the fork of Open Office called LibreOffice. Many of the developers have moved to this version.

And free software is amazing these days. There is so much that can be done without spending anything, unless you just want to contribute to the authors. ImgBurn, AVStoDVD, BDRebuilder, Media Player Classic Home Cinema, VLC, Audacity…this list can go on for a ways. I have more free software than paid, by far.[/QUOTE]I love LibreOffice. I’ve never had a MS Office document not open correctly in LibreOffice. Plus, did you know you can get LibreOffice certifications now?

57% of computer users use pirated software

The other 43% doesn’t know, because they they asked their nephew to install the usual crap on it.

conducted by the Business Software Alliance (BSA)

If anyone else didn’t notice this but why like the other poster said would they want any other results of their survey to say otherwise. I call this a load of BS with MPAA/RIAA/DODD behind this survey to begin with. I just love how people talk about how survey and polls are the Bible of truth when in reality it’s what they want to hear and nothing else…

N’ah, a site that was originally called CD Freaks and dedicated to CD burning etc. would never attract people who pirate software.

Long live CDFreaks (still don’t like Myce name)

Maybe windows wouldn’t be pirated so much if it was reasonably priced and MS didn’t nickel and dime us with so many silly editions.

There’s one edition of Mac OSX, it’s fully featured and costs $29. And it’s technically superior. Don’t get me wrong I’m a windows user and don’t like Mac. I just know its more stable and secure by nature.

Price is definitely a factor when it comes to piracy, at least for many.

[QUOTE=ivid;2636531]
There’s one edition of Mac OSX, it’s fully featured and costs $29. And it’s technically superior. Don’t get me wrong I’m a windows user and don’t like Mac. I just know its more stable and secure by nature.

Price is definitely a factor when it comes to piracy, at least for many.[/QUOTE]

Reason being it’s not the most worldly used O/S that is why so it isn’t worth those hackers time or money to go after Mac O/S currently so I doubt one can really claim secure by nature. Stability is only if many independent testers can show to be so. Any popular software M$, Adobe will be pirated regardless. It goes like this you can make it they can break it. Sure OSx is fully feature but then again you have to buy their hardware that is where they get you bank account so you might pay less for the OSx but then you have to buy their hardware and that is where they will make you pay more for the same thing. IBM PC is popular because there is more variety of system and hardware making them less expensive to fix and upgrade and your not tied down to having one type of hardware and can go and use what hardware will match your needs when you want to.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2636672]Reason being it’s not the most worldly used O/S that is why so it isn’t worth those hackers time or money to go after Mac O/S currently so I doubt one can really claim secure by nature. Stability is only if many independent testers can show to be so. Any popular software M$, Adobe will be pirated regardless. It goes like this you can make it they can break it. Sure OSx is fully feature but then again you have to buy their hardware that is where they get you bank account so you might pay less for the OSx but then you have to buy their hardware and that is where they will make you pay more for the same thing. IBM PC is popular because there is more variety of system and hardware making them less expensive to fix and upgrade and your not tied down to having one type of hardware and can go and use what hardware will match your needs when you want to.[/QUOTE]
Technically, OSX is more secure than windows.
OSX is based on unix, a mature Multi-User based OS which isolates root from users, and hence prevents users from accessing/installing things they aren’t supposed to.
Windows was designed as a single user OS, and hence all user actions were basically trusted.

In terms of actually fixing exploits, Microsoft has a much lower response delay and much higher response rate than Apple.

Unfortunately much of Windows exploit issues are not even Microsofts fault - many exploits actually come from poorly secured 3rd party software, something that Apple doesn’t really have to deal with, because typically the MacOS is insignificant, and only a few major developers actually program anything for it, rather than every man and his dog which programs for Windows OS’s.

It’s the same problem with virii … only a few hardcore major virii vendors develop for MacOs, but every man and his dog programs virii for windows, because windows is the majority market.

In the event that Apple Mac’s get owned by virii, I suspect that most of the users would be at a total loss what to do, not that PC users are significantly more clued in. But on PC, you can find someone that can fix it easier/quicker than you will find someone that is a Mac administrator :wink:

[QUOTE=ivid;2636531]N’ah, a site that was originally called CD Freaks and dedicated to CD burning etc. would never attract people who pirate software.[/QUOTE]

True, dat… or whatever the kids are saying these days.

[QUOTE=ivid;2636531]Long live CDFreaks (still don’t like Myce name)[/QUOTE]

Agreed. One billion +1 to you.

[QUOTE=ivid;2636531]Maybe windows wouldn’t be pirated so much if it was reasonably priced and MS didn’t nickel and dime us with so many silly editions.[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure it would be just as pirated, but it would be pirated by people who did NOT visit CDFreaks.
MyCE? Yeah, probably.

[QUOTE=ivid;2636531]Don’t get me wrong I’m a windows user and don’t like Mac. I just know its more stable and secure by nature.[/QUOTE]

It’s “secure” because the people who write spyware and computer viruses don’t see the need to pick on the little guy. There’s no glory in it. It’s like saying you just kicked the snot out of a homeless guy. No street cred there. But if you were to stroll up to the front of a Hell’s Angels clubhouse and kick over a Harley, causing a domino effect on the 9 other Harleys next to it, then people will be talking about that for ages. Mostly how you were killed by a bunch of revenge-seeking Hell’s Angels members.

[QUOTE=debro;2636676]Technically, OSX is more secure than windows.
OSX is based on unix, a mature Multi-User based OS which isolates root from users, and hence prevents users from accessing/installing things they aren’t supposed to.
Windows was designed as a single user OS, and hence all user actions were basically trusted.[/QUOTE]

Even Unix been hacked so that secure is just a line people use…

[QUOTE=debro;2636676]In terms of actually fixing exploits, Microsoft has a much lower response delay and much higher response rate than Apple.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that they might be late but at least they fix it compared to Apple unless enough endusers revolt they won’t fix it.

[QUOTE=debro;2636676]Unfortunately much of Windows exploit issues are not even Microsofts fault - many exploits actually come from poorly secured 3rd party software, something that Apple doesn’t really have to deal with, because typically the MacOS is insignificant, and only a few major developers actually program anything for it, rather than every man and his dog which programs for Windows OS’s.[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly the problem their own unsecure 3rd party software cause there problem and then they attribute that to M$ lack of security. I call that a false sense of security. One controller doesn’t give much room for ingenuity or revolution in software programing or developement of new ideas and software to do more for more people. Apple more or less wants to much control of the software and hardware and that to me is akin to Big Brother…

[QUOTE=debro;2636676]It’s the same problem with virii … only a few hardcore major virii vendors develop for MacOs, but every man and his dog programs virii for windows, because windows is the majority market.[/QUOTE]

You can bet they are out there but they don’t release it because it won’t make money for them…Money is primary driving force to make botnet and spam Windows computer to make money.

[QUOTE=debro;2636676]In the event that Apple Mac’s get owned by virii, I suspect that most of the users would be at a total loss what to do, not that PC users are significantly more clued in. But on PC, you can find someone that can fix it easier/quicker than you will find someone that is a Mac administrator ;)[/QUOTE]

That is why you don’t hear people from Mac asking for help cause they either don’t want to or not willing to let others know they got a virus or malware in which someone could help them get rid of it. PC on the other hand will get a viral reply back with many people finding ways to kill the virus, spam, botnet…

not me:D

Piracy will continue on if one stops another starts…that just basic knowledge you can’t stop all piracy just like you can’t stop people from breathing air. Never will stop nor will you curb it to stop. The line goes “If you can make it they can Pirate it.” That is a simple common knowledge and rather then banging their heads against a brick wall never much accomplished anything good.