549 GB Disc

Bet ya wish ya had a few of these fat boys! No really, this is a 16x 4.7 GB disc burned with Chris Rock on it. When I insert it the computer ask me if I would like to write files to the “CD”. It plays fine in Apex 1010W and the kids computer. You can see hiow it is ID’d in mine. Any ideas? I have AnyDVD, CloneDVD, Alcohol 120 etc…could one of the virtual drives be conflicting with reading the DVD-RW drive? Same thing in DVD-ROM drive. Is it a bad burn or the original copy protection?

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:NO_ID_PRESENT]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Manufacturer Not Found In Database]
Manufacturer ID : [Not Present On Disc]
Blank Disc Capacity : [268,238,848 Sectors = 549.35 GB (511.63 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V4.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Without a media identifier it’s difficult to say whether media problems are the cause. You could have mentioned the disc brand that was on the packaging, but even then that’s no indication of the manufacturer. My advice to you would be try out another disc brand but this time stick to high quality discs that will definitely have a media identifier on them. You can check out what the latest views on media quality are in the Blank Media forum.

If you still get the same problems despite better discs, and feel software clashes are the problem, remove all your DVD/CD copying software. Install Nero, AnyDVD with DVD Decrypter and rip the original to an ISO. Make sure DVD Decrypter is set not to remove CSS, structure protection and Macrovision - AnyDVD does that already. Run Daemon Tools, mount ISO file and then run it through DVD Shrink. Burn the resulting ISO with Shrink and check out if it works okay.

Regards

TZ

It is Fuji (ProdiscF02) 16x and I have burn like 10 of them. All are fine except for Chris Rock. Very strange. No errors when burned. It plays in both my Apex players and in the kids computer, don’t know what brand DVD-ROM. It will not play in my computer. I have a Liteon 1693S and a 166S DVD-ROM. It locks the drive for around 60 seconds. Then windows pops up with what do you want to do? Burn file to “CD” with this or that program etc. It might just be a bad burn, but then I am back to it plays in everythng except the computer that burned it! Go figure! If anyone has any thoughts they are welcome! On the kids computer the disc is fine…ID’s fine, right size, chapters work etc.

I read another post where a guy is having a problem with his 1635S discs not playing in a set top player. His discs burn further out from the center than what looks normal. So I took a look at my discs and sure enough the chris rock disc started burning further out from the center. All the others are like 1/16th of an inch…that is there is 1/16th of an inch of unburned media near the center hub. The problem disc is about 1/8th inch of unburned media (same media).

I burned another Chris Rock. It came out ok and has the usual 1/16th inch band. I think it must have been a bad spot perhaps on the DVD so it moved over a hair to start. Anyway, I am glad I will be able to tell by looking which ones do this. I still want some of them 549 GB discs!!! Here is the ID info:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:ProdiscF02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [ProdiscF02]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V4.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

It could be that .exe file installed something on your computer when you first inserted it that affects playback of this disc; especially considering it doesn’t work on both DVD drives of your computer, yet plays fine in the kids’ DVD drive and a standalone player.

As a precautionary measure try the Rootkit Revealer program from www.sysinternals.com. It’s free to use and will tell you whether you have any programs altering the normal operation of your computer while being hidden from the operating system so they can’t be found.

I can’t say for sure that’s the problem but it might be worth a try. :slight_smile: