52x CD-R media?

vbimport

#1

who (brand) makes these officially 52x certified discs??

~i can only find 48x’s around…


#2

Bollocks to finding CDRs that are the right speed. It’s a waste of money. Use any media and you should be OK. Save your money and just get a spindle of 100 Ritek or something, but always test the CD afer you’ve burnt it!


#3

Originally posted by pc2100ddr
who (brand) makes these officially 52x certified discs??

I the other day rcvd some 48-52x media samples from Taiwan.
The manufacturer ( let’s call it ??media ) by obvious reasons cannot be revealed, but…the ATIP looks like this :

ATIP:    97m 24s 39f             
Disc Manufacturer: Unitech Japan Inc.  
Reflective layer:  Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type:        CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds:  min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity:  702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 24s 39f  
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Unknown
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 48X

ATIP start of lead in:      -02:35:36  (sector: -11661)
ATIP start of lead out:     79:59:74  (sector: 359999)
Manufacturer code:   97 24 39 - UNITECH JAPAN INC. (Type: 9)
Unrestriced use:            No
Disc type:                  Not Rewriteable
Disc subtype:               Medium Type B, low Beta category (B-)
Target writing power:       5   

The worst thing for me is that I don’t have a 52x writer to test those 52x CDRs. :frowning:
As for the official stuff -> [COLOR=darkblue]Mitsui _52X Press Release & [/COLOR] Verbatim’s latest 52X CD-Rs

So, this stuff soon is gonna be available everywhere. But even the 48x media can be burnt @52.
Have you yourself tried it ?


#4

Originally posted by pc2100ddr
who (brand) makes these officially 52x certified discs??
~i can only find 48x’s around…

Fuji makes 52x certified discs at its own production site.
These discs are not made by TY.

But I doubt that the Fuji 52x discs are available outside Europe :confused:


#5

Originally posted by WebTech Inc

Fuji makes 52x certified discs at its own production site.
These discs are not made by TY.

Yes, those are made in Kleve/Germany.

ATIP: 97m 26s 45f
Disc Manufacturer: FUJI Photo Film Co., Ltd.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f / LBA: 359848)


#6

http://www.traxdata.com/traxdata_products/products_list.asp?id_cat=1

http://www.memorexlive.com/products/media_optical.shtml

All Ritek made (as I have seen…)


#7

All Ritek made (as I have seen…)

Have a look at this.


#8

These ones tested by you,were made by Prodic . So what’s up if other LOT made by Ritek ? - Memorex by Ritek I have seen, were available here,in November 2002, in few quantities and cost expensive -10 in slim case discs 7 euro…


#9

It’s pretty known that the Traxdata mainly are made by Ritek

ATIP: 97m 31s 05f
Disc Manufacturer: Ritek Co.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 656.69MB (74m 45s 00f / LBA: 336225)

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 31s 05f
Norminal Capacity = 656.69MB (74m 45s 00f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = RiTEK JS-dye
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 48X <-- !!!

Please note that the most amazing thing here is that those CDRs were “only” 8x certified !!! ( see pic )
Which means what ?
Only one thing -> some manufacturers were capable of producing their high speed media ages ago.
So, from my point of view, the skip of such media releases (e.g. from 8x to 48x)
wasn’t really commercially justified . Why losing big bucks ?!

You know what I mean ?


#10

How did you remember this ? - It was so long (3-4 years) which these discs available …(i also just remember them in my first CD burner Sony CRX-140E…)


#11

Anyone else think speeds such as this are crazy? The speed is only reached in stages is it not - as such, what does this save you - seconds.

The quality of writing and the forces on the mechanism + media cannot be good for the long term life of the disc - even if they are made for such a speed - this is pushing the limits for no good reason.

They want to sell new drives, so must do something like this, people want new slightly faster and probably less reliable drives so they buy them.

How many 1000’s of cd’s do you wish to produce a month? Because if you really want to make great quality data + music + video originals or copies, the lower the speed the better.

Ice


#12

icey–i agree:D i dont usually burn faster than a disc’s rated max speed. often, even the slowest possible (4x).

i’m just asking because i want to be able to make use of my drive (i have it for reason!)…and want to make quick discs of data that i give to colleagues, where quality i dont really give a dingdong :cool:

of course, if the quality of the disc was that bad, my burner wouldnt let me burn that fast anyways (Optimum Write Speed Control/etc)


#13

the lower the speed the better.

While this may be something of a “conventional wisdom”, it’s just not accurate. My 52x liteon is producing much better quality burns than either my 48x or my 40x, or even an older OEM 12x drive I have. This issue is not so simple as just speed. Even at 48x, the 52x drive produces better quality burns than either of 2 40x drives that I have had. So it seems that “slower is not better”. As for a disc’s “long term life”, if it is burned well to begin with there is no reason to think it will not last as long as any other. The 52x drive also offers 24x rewrite speeds, and delivers better quality discs at 24x than ANY 12x RW drive I have ever seen, so again it seems that slower is not better. I’ve also done several tests of high-speed media where burn speeds of 8x produced measurably higher read-error rates than burn speeds of 48x, so again it seems that slower is not always better.
For the most part, I never burn anything over 40x, but if I can get a drive that will do this better than a 40x drive, it makes perfect sense to me to do so. As for reliability of the drive, there’s certainly no evidence to suggest the 52x drives are any less reliable. Reports here are common that all the newer LiteOn drives are burning in the range of several thousand discs reliably, which well exceeds the needs of the average consumer.


#14

slower IS better! why do speeds of 40x or over produce c2 errors often? with the right media this might not happen but burning slower does greatly reduce any possible chance of errors, regardless of the media.


#15

Originally posted by rdgrimes

While this may be something of a “conventional wisdom”, it’s just not accurate. My 52x liteon is producing much better quality burns than either my 48x or my 40x, or even an older OEM 12x drive I have. This issue is not so simple as just speed. Even at 48x, the 52x drive produces better quality burns than either of 2 40x drives that I have had. So it seems that “slower is not better”. As for a disc’s “long term life”, if it is burned well to begin with there is no reason to think it will not last as long as any other. The 52x drive also offers 24x rewrite speeds, and delivers better quality discs at 24x than ANY 12x RW drive I have ever seen, so again it seems that slower is not better. I’ve also done several tests of high-speed media where burn speeds of 8x produced measurably higher read-error rates than burn speeds of 48x, so again it seems that slower is not always better.
For the most part, I never burn anything over 40x, but if I can get a drive that will do this better than a 40x drive, it makes perfect sense to me to do so. As for reliability of the drive, there’s certainly no evidence to suggest the 52x drives are any less reliable. Reports here are common that all the newer LiteOn drives are burning in the range of several thousand discs reliably, which well exceeds the needs of the average consumer.

the newer high speed dye formulations do not perform well when you are using low burning speeds. Especially on the outter parts of the media, where they change the dye thickness accordingly to suit higher speed burning.

One caveat is that the newer dyes have lower reflecitivity.


#16

I just got some’Multispeed 1X-56X’ rated discs,:stuck_out_tongue: :rolleyes: at least that’s what the package says. Smartburn sees them diferently though :frowning:

Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 28s 26f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = KingPro
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 32X

These discs are branded: Personal Computer World CD-R80 MULTISPEED 1X-56X.

Nero Info tool says that they are made by Multi Media Masters & Machinery.

The supplier claims to have tested them at 56X :confused:


#17

The supplier claims to have tested them at 56X

I would be interested in knowing that drive they used to test them at 56x :confused:


#18

Originally posted by rdgrimes

I would be interested in knowing that drive they used to test them at 56x :confused:

Before this post I have asked the supplier this question out of curiosity.


#19

Originally posted by Techmeister

I just got some’Multispeed 1X-56X’ rated discs,:stuck_out_tongue: :rolleyes: at least that’s what the package says. Smartburn sees them diferently though :frowning:

Same here. I bought a pack of 1x-48x Fujifilm a while ago.
And to my big surprise, the actual speed was determined as only 32x :

Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 26s 45f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Unknown
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 32X

:confused:

So, I guess one has to be very cautious when choosing media
and especially when it comes to those so called multispeed rated CDRs .