5280S-CB-PLUS Cant Overburn

vbimport

Just got my new 5280S-CB-PLUS that I ordered from amazon. I put a disc into imgburn and it says:

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Empty
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 4,173,824
Free Space: 8,547,991,552 bytes
Free Time: 927:32:74 (MM:SS:FF)
Next Writable Address: 0
MID: MKM-003-00
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x

Im trying to write a bigger image and it ask me to truncate or overburn, but selecting overburn fails.

What firmware version do you have on your drive? It should be 1.Z6, 1.Z7 or 1.Z8

If it’s 1.00 or 1.01 it seems that you’ve got a regular 5280S - without PLUS

My firmware is 1.Z8

if it’s the right burner, maybe you use the wrong dual layer media. For overburning I advise you to use Verbatim MKM +R dual layer media only.

[QUOTE=xtremepcs;2671061]Just got my new 5280S-CB-PLUS that I ordered from amazon. I put a disc into imgburn and it says:

Disc Information:
Free Sectors: 4,173,824
Free Space: 8,547,991,552 bytes
Free Time: 927:32:74 (MM:SS:FF)

Im trying to write a bigger image and it ask me to truncate or overburn, but selecting overburn fails.[/QUOTE]

hmm the free space is wrong for a plus drive unless they removed the overburning capability. it should be something like this:-

Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S 1.Z7 (ATAPI)
Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:
Free Sectors: 4,267,040
Free Space: 8,738,897,920 bytes
Free Time: 948:15:65 (MM:SS:FF)

DVD±R DL Boundary Information:
L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2,133,520
Changeable: Yes

I am using Verbatim media and the description on amazon says DVD+R DL Overburn - Can extend the listed capacity from 8.5 GB up to 8.7 GB* to allow the user to capture more content on a single DVD+R DL disc.

I am running windows 8 if that make a difference.

It must have been a mislabelled ‘5280S-CB’ drive then rather than the ‘5280S-CB-PLUS’.

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2671235]It must have been a mislabelled ‘5280S-CB’ drive then rather than the ‘5280S-CB-PLUS’.[/QUOTE]

the baq it came it said 5280S-CB-PLUS. But I ordered another one from Amazon, and I should get it on Thursday so I will see if that was the problem.

Same thing here, I just spent the last couple of hours trying to find out why mine isn’t overburning. I registered on this forum just to post on this thread.

I am the same as the OP, I ordered the AD-5280S-CB-PLUS from Amazon(Link Here). Received it today(Wednesday, 1/2/2013) and installed it in my computer. Put in a new verbatim DVD+R DL MKM-003-00 and it came up as 8,547,991,552 bytes. Just for the heck of it I tried burning it.
As I burned (Option came up for Overburn or truncate) it gave the message saying it failed to set L0 Capacity and at 97% it failed. I then proceeded to search the internet for answers.

My drive says it was manufactured in October 2012 and the bag says it is a 5280S-CB-PLUS. I checked all over and it seems impossible to tell the difference between 5280S-CB and 5280S-CB-PLUS. The label on the drive only says AD-5280S and so does Device manager. The only thing that suggests that this is a CB-PLUS is that the firmware is 1.Z8. Did the Manufacturer update 5280S-CB to 1.Z8 and Amazon mix them up? Although the bag does say CB-PLUS. Either way if I do not find a solution I will send it back to Amazon on Monday.

Does anyone know for sure how to tell the difference between 5280S-CB and 5280S-CB-PLUS Not using the firmware version.

Tell Amazon about the problem and get them to look into it with their suppliers.

Can you take a picture of the label on the drive so we can see it (clearly!) ? Blank out the serial number if you want.

I’ll play ‘spot the difference’ between your drive and mine :slight_smile:

Ah pictures, Hold on while I take it out of the computer…

Ok so upon further inspection of the label it does have right next to the AD-5280S a small box that has -CB in it and next to that an R (see attachment). If someone else could upload a picture of there CB-PLUS I would very much appreciate it.

Also attached is a picture of the bag it came in. It looks like they might have misbagged the wrong DVD drive.

I think I will send this one back once I confirm it is a CB and order one from Newegg.

You could still try flashing firmware 1.Z7 which is known to support overburning. Maybe this functionality was broken with firmware 1.Z8

@LUK - Have you already tested your drive with 1.Z8 or are you still on 1.Z7?

Here’s mine. It was manufactured long before your one but that shouldn’t make a difference. Whilst I guess it’s possible they’ve now dropped the overburning feature, I don’t think they’d be able to do so whilst keeping the ‘PLUS’ name. AFAIK, overburning was the only thing the ‘CB-PLUS’ added over the basic ‘CB’.

I’ve asked a contact a Vinpower to take a look at this thread. Hopefully he’ll be able to work out and tell me what went wrong and where!

EDIT: Hi Liggy - yeah, I have 1.Z8 on mine and overburning is still working just fine.

Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S 1.Z8 (ATAPI)

Disc Information:
Free Space: 8,738,897,920 bytes

DVD±R DL Boundary Information:
L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2,133,520
Changeable: Yes

Huh, well the only difference between our labels is the place and time of manufacturing. Your drive also has a label that includes the firmware and model but mine doesn’t. Besides that there is not much difference.

Maybe I do have a 5280S-CB-PLUS. I am going to flash 1.Z7 and see if that changes anything. I will post the results.

So I flashed the 1.Z7 Firmware and it was a no-go. Nothing changed except for the firmware number. Now flashing the original firmware.

If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them. Also does anyone have a non-plus version? A photo of the label would help to see the differences between CB and CB-PLUS.

I’ve just sent you a PM with the link to a tool that will show you a number between 0 and 255 (usually only 0 and 1) when you execute it and provide the drive letter (e.g. [B]D:[/B]) as parameter.

If it shows 0 then they gave you a drive where the Plus functions were not activated.

Just got the second drive that I ordered from Amazon and here is the imgburn readout:

Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S 1.Z8 (ATA)
Disc Information:
Free Space: 8,738,897,920 bytes :bigsmile:

looks like the first one I got was mislabeled, and the one I got now is the PLUS model

Liggy may i also have the tool. I got the same problem.

[QUOTE=jeffnet;2671355]Ah pictures, Hold on while I take it out of the computer…

Ok so upon further inspection of the label it does have right next to the AD-5280S a small box that has -CB in it and next to that an R (see attachment). If someone else could upload a picture of there CB-PLUS I would very much appreciate it.

Also attached is a picture of the bag it came in. It looks like they might have misbagged the wrong DVD drive.

I think I will send this one back once I confirm it is a CB and order one from Newegg.[/QUOTE]

Mine is exactly the same as yours. Firmware is 1.Z8

OK finally I have some definitive proof that this is not a CB-PLUS. Thanks to Liggy and LightningUK for helping me thus far.

So is it possible to activate the PLUS features?

Unless someone can tell me how to activate the PLUS features I will schedule UPS to pick it up tomorrow. Just for the heck of it I will include a printout of this thread and the various photos. Assuming Amazon’s return team does not simply just throw them away and put the drive back on the shelf we can avoid this from happening again.