52246S PMA error (again!)

Okay, last week I had this error on some MBI 52X discs. They refused to burn in any program (tried Nero 5.5.10.42, burnatonce 3.99, nero 6.0.11). There was a very long lead-in time during which my drive spun up and down many times, and then the burn failed,giving me the PMA error. I bought a spindle of Acer 48X media, and burnt 2 in a row. They worked well. HOwever, today I tried again, and I got this error in burnatonce:

Writing track 01 (mode MODE1/MODE1 )…
?: I/O error. : scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB: 2A 00 00 00 01 60 00 00 17 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 73 04
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x73 Qual 0x04 (program memory area update failure) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 107.506s timeout 180s
ERROR: Write data failed.
ERROR: Writing failed - buffer under run?
ERROR: Writing failed.

Any idea why this happens? Drive problem? It wrote to a 4X CDRW fine though.

Are you sure about the quality of your IDE cable? Have you tried burning them slower?

Seems to work at 24X with Burnatonce. Any idea why?

When the drive initiates the burn, it’s setting the laser power according to the ATIP of the CDR. If the CDR doesn’t handle the power level that’s applied, you can get a failed burn in the first few minutes. Lowering the burn speed sets the laser power lower. In short, the drive is just unable to adjust the power for the media at higher speed. Anyway, it sounds like that may be what’s going on, just crappy media. See how fast you can burn it, then check for C1/C2 errors to see what it looks like.

Bhairav

According to a CDR seller in Bombay most of the Moser Baer CDR’s available in the Bombay are actually 32x. I use only No-Label Moser Baers on my 52246s Liteon which burn sucessfully at 48x.

@rdgrimes: Thanks for the explanation! I burned 680 MB onto the CD @ 24X using burnatonce, and the C1 count was decent, with an average of 1.4 or so. No C2 errors. So I guess the media is a bit crappy. WHat is weird is that discs from this same spindle did 48X last week, without a problem.Oh well, Acer QC may be crappy,who knows!

@subman3: Firstly, nice to see another Mumbaikar here! Where do you buy your No-label MBI cds from? I only see 52X rated MBI Pro discs at Lamington Road.

Bah. FLunked out again. Here’s the error message from burnatonce:

Starting write simulation at speed 24…
Using multi session mode.
Turning BURN-Proof on
Writing track 01 (mode MODE1/MODE1 )…
?: I/O error. : scsi sendcmd: retryable error
CDB: 2A 00 00 00 01 60 00 00 17 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x00 (write error) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 95.247s timeout 180s
ERROR: Write data failed.
ERROR: Writing failed - buffer under run?
ERROR: Simulation failed.

Also, I rescanned a CD in KProbe. Last week or so, I got an avg. of 1.5C1/0C2 on that disc. Today I got 4-5C1/0C2, with the same settings. Does this mean the drive is dying?

I would replace the IDE cable and try some different media. You clould also try the drive in another system to see if it still has the problem.
One other thought, run memtest86 for a few hours to check your RAM for errors. Or, as a test, set your FSB back to 166.

Yep, system is running at default now. 133*15. Replaced the IDE cable with a brand new one, same error in burnatonce. Nero 6.0.11 just plain crapped out on me. I’m going to the place I bought the writer from tomorrow, they’ve agreed to check the drive out, and if there’s a problem, let me pay the small price differential between this drive and the 52327S and let me take the 52327S home, cos this drive is still in the 1 year warranty period.
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll let you know what happens tomorrow.

EDIT: Also tried Verbatim DLP 16X @ 16X, same error. Waiting for tomorrow.

I’m going to the place I bought the writer from tomorrow

Well they can’t say you haven’t tried to sort it out. If it is the media, that’s some really crappy media! :frowning:

Originally posted by Bhairav

@subman3: Firstly, nice to see another Mumbaikar here! Where do you buy your No-label MBI cds from? I only see 52X rated MBI Pro discs at Lamington Road.

Likewise :slight_smile:

I get my CDR’s from under the Grant Road Bridge - on the South side of the bridge there is this place Novelty run by this cat Manoj - he is right next to those guys repairing speakers. If you buy from him you must bargain. I got 500 MBI’s over a year back for about 9 bucks each.

Just burned 30 CDR’s - not a coaster at 48x.

Have you checked your ASPI layer ?

@rdgrimes: Heh… these writers of mine have a funny way of working again when I take them to the hardware guy! The media was Benq 48X, which have had good results with the guys here at cdfreaks. Also, the Verbatim DLPs crapping out… makes me suspect the drive, as these have worked very well earlier.

@subman: Thanks dude! I’ll check this place out… I have an idea where it is, because I used to commute from Grant Road station anyway.

Thanks for your help,rdgrimes and subman3. I exchanged my old drive for a 52327S.So far, I’ve burned about 6 CDs, the Acer/Benq ones which were crapping out on my 52246S. Nice fast burns, with low error rates. I’m hooked!
The drive is nice and small too, improving the airflow in my cramped case.
Thanks again!

Originally posted by Bhairav
The drive is nice and small too, improving the airflow in my cramped case.

Cramped case + Bombay temperatures = overheating of CD Writers and HDDs.

I use a full tower which has 5x5.25 and 3x3.5 drive bays, I have the drive bays above and below the CD Writer empty to keep the CD Writer cool. I have 5 extra case fans to cool hardware in the case.

I understand that Connectronics who are located on the same road as Novelty may have rounded IDE cables. I have slit my IDE and Floppy cables into slim strips of 8 wires and this has improved air flow in the case.

hey bhairav for how much r u gettin the 52X32X52 (LITEON CDRW),
r u getting it from lamington rd. ???:confused:

Originally posted by pankaj_xyz
hey bhairav for how much r u gettin the 52X32X52 (LITEON CDRW),
r u getting it from lamington rd. ???:confused:

I got a price of Rs 2500 at Lammy road about a month back. Maybe a bit cheaper now.

I paid about 400 rupees, the difference between the price of the 52246S and the newer 52327S.

Bhairav is it good for copy protected game cds "safedisk 'etc

Yes, it is a good drive for protection-killing. It can do SafeDisk 2.9+, which is good!

Ok Bhairav whos the most trustworthy Retailer/seller at lamington road.
i’ll be going there on friday to buy liteon 52327s…
please reply…soon:bigsmile: