52246S New Firmware Released

it turns out to be my nero cap the burning speed at 32x. but this burner is capable to burn at 52x. even though i used another media which is rated at 40x max, but i cannot see anywhere beyound 32x. which is this disc showed below.

The “rating” of the media doesn’t enter into it. If you turn off SmartBurn in Nero, you might see full speed on the media. Also, different F/W may see a given disc with different speed limitations. Try some 48x media.

after reading elsewhere in this forum… i found that SmartBurn kicks in during CDSpeed test and there is nothing i can do to disable SmartBurn.

this seems like the best burning speed before making a CD coster.

Tekwiz, have you tried the small standalone util called SMARTBURN.EXE?

It shows the speed that Nero will burn the piece of media that you are using.

Originally posted by tekwiz99
[B]after reading elsewhere in this forum… i found that SmartBurn kicks in during CDSpeed test and there is nothing i can do to disable SmartBurn.

this seems like the best burning speed before making a CD coster. [/B]

Originally posted by mpsan
[B]Tekwiz, have you tried the small standalone util called SMARTBURN.EXE?

It shows the speed that Nero will burn the piece of media that you are using. [/B]

SmartBurn is highly unreliable. You can put a 4X media in there and it’ll tell you its max speed is 40X.

i’m thinking of the fault is to blame on my slower CD-ROM which uses “Multi-Word DMA Mode 1” on ‘slave’ of same channel; and lags the performance of this LiteOn.
[/B]

So take out the low CD-ROM, run the Lite-On again and see if it’s really the culprit of your neutered burn speed.

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]

SmartBurn is highly unreliable. You can put a 4X media in there and it’ll tell you its max speed is 40X.[/B]
Yeap, that’s true :slight_smile:

that quote was from me, and nope, the slower CD-ROM on same channel does no affect on the burning speed.

there is nothing i can do to disable SmartBurn

Not so. you can disable the speed limitations in Nero. (choose recorder - options), then CDSpeed will show a full-speed test. Smartburn can still slow the actual burn speed if the media gets overheated, but this is not what is being seen in this case.

Smartburn is neither reliable nor unreliable, it simply invokes limitations based on a database of ATIP info contained in the firmware. This does not relieve the user of the need to test the media and adjust speeds accordingly. One can hardly blame SmartBurn, or LiteOn, because media varies so much. They have no control over what happens to the CDR stamper at the factory.

In most cases, SmartBurn will over-rate the media and allow you to burn faster that you really should on a given media.

Verbatim 24x CD-RW (Made in Mexico)

http://www3.sympatico.ca/brad.ormsby/6S0D_Verbatim24xCDRW.html

Now after the upgrade yesterday (from 6S0C to 6S0D) my drive was no longer supported by Direct CD. I had installed it with WinOn CD 5 PE. There was no patch on the WinOnCD site, so i tried the one over @ Roxio. Even though it was for Easy CD Plat. ver. 5, it worked!

Now, after the 6S0D upgrade, I find that the damn amber light comes on frequently, when it never did with 6S0C. My PNY 16x rated cd-r’s used to burn error free @ 40x, now that’s getting more steady amber light than it is red.

Grrr.

I may have to revert back to 6S0C, which for me was fine.

here is the screen captures by turning smartburn off

GAT

Cursor (Manu’d by Sony)

sums up… smartburn feature can be either helpful, or painful. note the Elapsed Time was shaved off by 10 secs. is it worth it? i’ll leave that up to you guys/gals.

thanks for clearing that up, everyone. :bow:

I have InCD loaded and 6S0D was OK with it.

I also use Verbatim UltraSpeed 24X and they are great. Actually Amazon has 10 packs for about $12.

Originally posted by Spazmogen
[B]Verbatim 24x CD-RW (Made in Mexico)

http://www3.sympatico.ca/brad.ormsby/6S0D_Verbatim24xCDRW.html

Now after the upgrade yesterday (from 6S0C to 6S0D) my drive was no longer supported by Direct CD. I had installed it with WinOn CD 5 PE. There was no patch on the WinOnCD site, so i tried the one over @ Roxio. Even though it was for Easy CD Plat. ver. 5, it worked!

Now, after the 6S0D upgrade, I find that the damn amber light comes on frequently, when it never did with 6S0C. My PNY 16x rated cd-r’s used to burn error free @ 40x, now that’s getting more steady amber light than it is red.

Grrr.

I may have to revert back to 6S0C, which for me was fine. [/B]

Been doing a little testing with 6S0D, looks pretty good from here.

I notice that the problem of unreadable sectors at 52x seems to have subsided. Using some new 48x Fuji, it downshifts to 24x at around 85% (45x), which makes it slower than burning at 40x, but there are no errors. 48x burn speed does about the same.
With CDDr, C1 = max - 6, ave. - 0.043
guess I’ll stick with 40x burning.

Hi all - I flashed my 52246S from 6S0C to 6S0D. The Princo budget 48X cdr’s were finally identified by Smartburn as 52X-capable where the earlier firmware maxed at 48X. Unfortunately, I just tried to burn the same CD image twice and both times that neither the Liteon or my Sony DVDRom could get past. So on my 3rd try I bumped the max speed down to 48X and was finally able to burn the image and able to read the CD. That kind of defeats the benefit of firmware upgrade for me (at least for this stack of 100 Princo cdr’s).

When I tried to flash back to 6S0C, LiteOn’s .exe won’t let me. How do I flash back? Thanks!

Look at threads on MTKFLASH.
You can go back to anything you want.

Originally posted by Shrink
[B]Hi all - I flashed my 52246S from 6S0C to 6S0D. The Princo budget 48X cdr’s were finally identified by Smartburn as 52X-capable where the earlier firmware maxed at 48X. Unfortunately, I just tried to burn the same CD image twice and both times that neither the Liteon or my Sony DVDRom could get past. So on my 3rd try I bumped the max speed down to 48X and was finally able to burn the image and able to read the CD. That kind of defeats the benefit of firmware upgrade for me (at least for this stack of 100 Princo cdr’s).

When I tried to flash back to 6S0C, LiteOn’s .exe won’t let me. How do I flash back? Thanks! [/B]

Thanks - is there a .bin file kicking around for 6S0C? I just did a search of the forum and the only site listed was offline. I’d appreciate any links you might have to the .bin files and the right version of MTKFLASH to use with this drive.

Thanks again.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=6&manufactor=17

I see it here, but I do not think it is Binary. BUT, go to Daves site…it is in all of his messages…

Dave | http://dhc014.rpc1.org

Get any 52246S bin…I believe he has 6S02. Flash it then use the normal LiteON for a flash from 6S02 to 6S0C.

Originally posted by Shrink
[B]Thanks - is there a .bin file kicking around for 6S0C? I just did a search of the forum and the only site listed was offline. I’d appreciate any links you might have to the .bin files and the right version of MTKFLASH to use with this drive.

Thanks again. [/B]

[B]http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=6&manufactor=17

I see it here, but I do not think it is Binary. BUT, go to Daves site…it is in all of his messages…

Dave | http://dhc014.rpc1.org

Get any 52246S bin…I believe he has 6S02. Flash it then use the normal LiteON for a flash from 6S02 to 6S0C.
[/B]

Excellent! Thanks a lot.

I just got my verbatim drive today and made it a Lite-On

Here’s my results with 6S0D

I’m very pleased with the results.

Also, it took 2:32 minutes to burn that 78min disk on this drive. Nice.

Also, it took 2:32 minutes to burn that 78min disk on this drive. Nice.

What media did you use? Please post the ATIP. Thanks.

Originally posted by DamnedIfIknow
[B]

What media did you use? Please post the ATIP. Thanks. [/B]

Here it is:

ATIP: 97m 24s 01f
Disc Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden Company Ltd.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f / LBA: 359848)