52246S help

vbimport

i just bought a 52246S, but i forgot to read the system requirements in the back. the system requirements i don’t meet are windows me, xp, or 2000 professional and IBM compatible pentium 3/450 Mhz MMX processor (i have a 400 Mhz celeron with win98). if i install it in my pc will it perform like it should on a system that meets the min requirements or do i have to return it or upgrade my pc?

It should work just fine as long as you have functioning DMA. Other components may inhibit your max possible burn speeds, such as a slow HD or inadequate IDE controller. But the drive will work fine at slower speeds as well. when you get it in, run some tests with CDSpeed.

I run 2 OS (Win 98 and Win 2000) and I can burn fine with either of them.

i have an overclocked 48246s, which now is identical to your drive, and i still run a p2 400.
i have no problem using the drive, but i can’t go further 8x :a :a :a (i know there’s safe-link, but i don’t want to rely on it…)

everyone, thanks for the help. cico: why can’t u burn faster then 8x?

Is DMA enabled for your burner and hard drives, Cico? I know that a Celeron 300 can burn (without any pausing) at 48x if it has a fast enough hard drive and DMA is enabled.

i dunno about dma, will check; i think anyway that the prob lies on the hard disc, although it is a 7200rpm, as it is really full (400 free meg out of 13 gig…)…

ahah! lol! dma wasn’t enabled… now i will restart (smart, aren’t i? :bigsmile: ) and then perform a simulated burning.
will report in half an hour max.

Good deal! I would guess that you can do at least 24x or 32x now!

too bad it didn’t work at all…
i still can’t go furher 8x, plus my burner works really bad (i aborted the simulation, but it didn’t stop…).
i will disable dma and go back to slow burning (what if i rely on burn-proof technology? is it really safe, at least with data discs?), but i don’t really care as, if everything goes on well, by june i will have a brand new pc, with 400mhz ram and a 120gig hd (i will save money not buying a new soundcard, videocard, reader, burner and monitor…).
let’s hope :bigsmile:

I think that relying on Smart-Burn or whatever the buffer-underrun-protection technology is called is safe, but I wouldn’t want to rely on it because it will probably take longer to burn a disc if the burner pauses continually at, for example, 32x, than it would to burn without pausing at 8x.

Your new PC certainly sounds like it will be able to burn faster. Hope it works well for you when you get it!

i have to end well this school year first… :bigsmile:
29 (working) days and counting!! :cool:

Once the buffer under-run protection is activated, it will default to a lower burn speed than what you can actually do. so it’s always “faster” to set the burn speed a little lower to avoid the under-run protection kicking in.
Cico, you need to address your HD problem, that’s nowhere near enough free space for burning. :frowning: You need space for the cache and the paging file both, and of course you can’t defrag a drive that’s so full.

If you’re building a new computer, Cico, I would recommend the Maxtor 60-GB 7200RPM ATA133 drives (if 60GB is enough for your needs). I have two of these, and they’re great!

Originally posted by LiteOnGuy
If you’re building a new computer, Cico, I would recommend the Maxtor 60-GB 7200RPM ATA133 drives (if 60GB is enough for your needs). I have two of these, and they’re great!
yeah, i was hoping to put my sticky hands on an ata133 maxtor drive, but i hope to get more than 60 gig as well :bigsmile:

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Cico, you need to address your HD problem, that’s nowhere near enough free space for burning. :frowning: You need space for the cache and the paging file both, and of course you can’t defrag a drive that’s so full.
i know, dut i don’t want to lose anything on my HD…

Yesterday I was over at one of my friends and gazed upon his Serial-ATA RAID Array… 240GB! Little bastard… :slight_smile:

Cico, buy two harddisks and set them up in RAID and you’ll never have any problem with empty buffers :slight_smile:

I want RAID too…

Originally posted by LiteOnGuy

Can’t totally agree with you, as I can’t stand the high pitched whine all maxtor drives I’ve had/seen/used makes…

Well in fact many of the harddrives I’ve had have made high pitched whines…except seagate barracuda ata and some WD models.

Can’t totally agree with you, as I can’t stand the high pitched whine all maxtor drives I’ve had/seen/used makes…

I second that. The WD Cavier drives with 8MB cache are knocking the pants off of the competition in benchmarks, even the SATA 150 drives. And only the 200GB model seems to have any noise issues. In the USA they can be had for $1/GB on sale.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]

Well in fact many of the harddrives I’ve had have made high pitched whines…except seagate barracuda ata and some WD models. [/B]

That’s interesting… neither of my Maxtors make high-pitched whines, even with all case fans disconnected. One of my Maxtors mentions “whisper-quiet FDB motor”; did your drives have the FDB motor? It is possible that Maxtor has improved their drives to make them quieter.

Edit: I can’t stand loud drives either, and I personally have had too many problems with WD drives to recommend them. :frowning: