52246S errors even with TY Media!

Something very strange here… My burns seem to have lots of C1s and some C2s after a particular point. There’s the normal Liteon hi-speed noise then at about 70-95% in Nero with a 702mb image the drive will flash orange once and drop to a lower speed of 24+ to complete the burn.

Even a 40X burn gives errors. Funny thing is that after the slowdown there’s no errors right to the end of the CDR. Only error free burn was at 24X

Tried with EZCD, 6S0C, D and F firmware, uninstalled intel App accelerator, disabled smartburn, all to no avail

Used TY 52X and TDK (Ritek) 48X media.
WinXP
Liteon 52246S 6S0F on Secondary Master, DMA is enabled

Am going out of my mind now, used up 10 CDRs just to test the various configurations ! Is the problem the drive (<1mth old) or media ?

Try a different program to burn with?

The 52x drives will often not complete a burn at 52x or even 48x on most media, SmartBurn slows it to 32x or 24x when you get out to around 95%. (you cannot shut off that feature) This behaviour varies with different firmwares and more so with different drives. Suggest you limit your burn speed to 40x to avoid such issues. Without seeing your error scans, it’s difficult to comment on whether you have a problem with the drive.

Chriso - Tried with Nero and EZCD 6. Both slow down in similar areas.

rdgrimes - The TDK media burnt at full 52X in my sister’s 52X Liteon, and I expected the TY to do 52X in my Liteon due to its reputation as the top media. The Liteon supplied Ritek TG media had the same problems with the TDK CDRs. Which is why I’m wondering if its a burner rather than media problem

Here’s the Kprobe charts, all at 48X burns. The TY had no C2 errors.

The TY CDR had a very obvious buring track pattern change at ~ the last 1/4 of the CD.

It’s pretty easy to see where the drive slowed the burn speed. If you run those discs through CDspeed, do you see any unreadable sectors?
Burning at 52x, or even 48x, is not a quarantee. The combination of drive and media is always different, no 2 drives are the same.
However, your drive appears to have a problem, you should try to get a replacement.

CDSpeed showed some damaged sectors near the end. About 1.6% in total. CD also hit 44X before slowing down near the end in the speed test.

I’ve lodge a RMA form, but not too sure if they will accept a drive that reads fine and apparently burns fine until you use Kprobe to scan the CDRs…

This is the 2nd Liteon 52x that has given me problems in the last 3 mths, old drive’s tray got jammed solid in the open position, and now this. Almost tempted to get a Plextor instead…

The Ritek media doesn’t really look that far off of what I’d expect at 48-52x. What exactly is that TY media? What’s the ATIP?

Sorry, should have included the info earlier.

Manufacturer : Taiyo Yuden
Code : 97m24s01f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 1: Long Strategy (Cyanine, AZO)

That’s CDR, made in Japan. Gold top.

Manufacturer : Ritek
Code : 97m15s17f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 7: Short Strategy (Phthalocyanine)

This is TDK silver/silver which I got in Singapore. No errors on CD Doctor scan at 52X when I used a Liteon 52X then.
The Liteon included 52X CDR was a Ritek with the same ATIP as the TDK.

TY 24X burn was max C1 6 and no C2 of course. Haven’t tried the TDK at 24X yet, but 40X TDK gives the same problem

Thanks for all your help rdgrimes

Manufacturer : Taiyo Yuden

Need the lead-out or “capacity” on the TY to tell for sure what it really is. SmartBurn checker and MInfo give that number.
79m 59s 72f = 48x media
79m 59s 73f = 24x media
79m 59s 74f = 16x media

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Cyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 24s 01f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 72f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Taiyoyuden,DX Dye
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 52X

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 15s 17f
Norminal Capacity = 702.82MB (79m 59s 70f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = RiTEK,TG
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 52X

70f ? That wasn’t in your list…
I might drop down to 6S0A and see what happens.

Are these by some chance 99 min discs?

Nope. It says TDK 80 on the hub, TY says 700mb.

6S0A firmware gave the same problems. So do you guys think its a media or burner problem ? I’ll go out and get some other 52X rate brands of CDRs to test, but something tells me its going to be the same…

TY 52X burnt @ 52X. Firmware 6S0A

I too am having similar issues. I brought the speed down to 40X and managed to burn a TY cd-r w/ no errors revealed in CDSpeed. I suspect the more comprehensive CD Doctor/K-Probe would reveal errors, however.

70f ? That wasn’t in your list…

I was referring only to the TY.

Looks like your drive needs to go back, or you need to limit yourself to 40x and below. this looks like a laser calibration problem.
But i also reiterate that I would not burn at 52x in any case, or even 48x if I wanted to get reliable results. I burn everything at 40x.

Thanks for all the help guys, just got an RMA approval and the store estimates 1-2 weeks for a replacement.

Confirmed its not a media problem, scanned the TDK 48X CDRs burnt by sister’s Liteon 52X 6S0C and it’s a perfect burn.

Plextor starting to look good now, but the Plextor Premium isn’t even in Australia yet…