52246S and 6S0F bad for RW?

vbimport

I posted these in another thread, but wanted to see if someone can confirm similar results with Verbatim US 24x RW media.
650MB burned at 24x on 52246S, and tested with the same firmware.
I’ve adjusted the scale on the graph to make comparison easier.

With 6S0D:

With 6S0F:

Anybody?

Same issue on 700 MB media

any results with regular cdrs rd?

Looks fine on CDR’s with 6S0F, maybe even a little better on Ritek TG, but I’m back to 6S0D so I won’t be testing it any more.:frowning:

Hi,

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I posted these in another thread, but wanted to see if someone can confirm similar results with Verbatim US 24x RW media.

My results are similar, but with the new Firmware my Pioneer
DV-350 can read SVCD on Verbatim US RW burned with 24*
Speed, before the Firmwareupdate i must burn at 16, faster
produced errors and artifacts. Not so bad:).

Regards,

Thomas

Overall, is it worth upgarding to the new firmware version? There seems to be mixed results here!

i figure that LiteON has some problems with their firmware stuff… most other companies release newer firmware to make their drives work better for some reason LiteON’s newer firmware just keeps screwing up the drive…
i’ll never buy another LiteON drive ever again

LiteON’s newer firmware just keeps screwing up the drive…

I think your experience may be a bit unique. Perhaps if you wish to post your particular problems, somebody can help you resolve it.

well maybe its my drive thats defective…
i dunno…

i bought it and it worked nice real nice burned a lot my own mix songs on cds and it worked (burned at 52X) then after firmware updates from A to B to C to D to F it kept getting worse and now doesn’t burn anything… all CD’s come out as coasters…
can’t afford to take it to RMA cause it’ll take the store 3 months at least to get it back so i opened up the drive and played around with the inside stuff put everything back worked for a few cd’s… then screwed up again
now its just messed up…
it had reading problems since the start when i bought it didn’t really think it was a biggie cause the cd’s are spinning at 52X and for a long time so movies etc would go choppy after 1hr or so of keeping the vcd inside the cdrw…
but now the drive is dead can’t read stuff properly and can’t burn nuthin…

cd’s are spinning at 52X and for a long time so movies etc would go choppy after 1hr or so of keeping the vcd inside the cdrw…

Let me get this right, you were using the burner to watch VCD’s for over an hour at a time? Are you aware that the burner is not rated for continuous use? I’m sure that the heat levels in the drive were off the scale, didn’t you notice that the discs were coming out, um, a bit warm?

Well, you can’t blame him, the drive doesn’t have a huge sticker on it that says “don’t freaking use me for anything else other than burning CDs”.

I mean would the same rule apply to DVD/CDRW combo drives?

i’d have to agree with Stoner. i don’t think it should be considered out of the ordinary for someone to watch (S)VCDs using their burners for extended periods of time, something that i know many ppl do all the time. a burner is not just a burner, but also a cdrom as well. i do think, however, that adequate case cooling is necessary if the drive gets hot.

DVD drives don’t run at a constant high speed. Speed is the thing here, your CDRW can run all day at 24x, but not at full speed. I suspect that some programs will keep it running full blast while others will not. But even with lots of cooling, a drive will bake if it’s running at 11,000 RPM long enough.

yeah, i forgot to add that i think that most movie-playing software won’t spin the disc at full speed, or at least not for extended periods of time. for a movie being played in real-time, there would be little point in running the disc faster than at the “playing speed”, other than maybe to refill the buffer. if it ran much faster than that, there would literally be nowhere for the extra data to go once the buffer gets full.

I’ve played movies many times in my Liteon drives without a problem. I believe most of the mpeg and dvd player software actually pulls data through the Windows file system, so the drive would likely regulate its spin speed. Anyway, even after burning several discs at 40x or 48x in a row, I’ve never noticed my Liteys getting particularly warm. Sounds like it was a bad drive, made worse by opening it up. Should’ve tried flashing back to an earlier firmware version before nuking the drive.