52246S and 24x CDRW readability

Just got my new 52246S and the first thing I did was burn a CDRW at 24x with the supplied media…My Plextor 24/10/40 could only read certain files on the disc and had CRC errors trying to read others…

Anyone else have any experience with the CDRW quality at 24x?

I honestly can’t speak well of the plextor drives in combination with RW media. The RW media that I used to burn in my dad’s 16x10x40A plextor wouldn’t read in my 16x10x40x TDK drive… Also, RW media in general isn’t a great choice becuase of readability.

The other thing that concerned me was that I burned a CD at 52x that takes about 3 minutes for it to be recognized in just about any drive, but then reads fine after that…

Now, the CDs were only 24x rated, but the smart burn put it at 52x (and I know it can be wrong)…

well I tell ya one thing, you have more patience than me. I never would have waited 3 minutes for a CD to ready itself. I am wondering if possibly it’s the type of dye on the CD causing the problem. Prehapps try a different CD-R? Did this happen with the disc that was included with the drive?

Can Ultra speed drives, write HS-CDRW disks at 10-12x ?
(because Ultra speed media cannot write in HS drives )

Yes. The relation highspeed <-> ultraspeed is the same as lowspeed <-> highspeed.

Anyone else have any experience with the CDRW quality at 24x?

We have no reason to assume that the 24x RW discs are any more reliable than any other RW discs. One would wonder, given the higher burn speed, if they may even be less reliable and less “compatable” with other drives.
Someone should start a educational thread on these new discs, Id like to know are they more or less reflective, less likely to be playable in other drives, etc., etc.

I was just rather surprised because my Plextor could usually read just about anything…

I burned a regular CDR at 52x yesterday (don’t know what the media is rated at though, although smart burn claimed 52x) and the end is unreadable by all of my drives…

“Upgraded” from a Plextor 24x where all of my discs were readable in anything…This is rather frustrating, although I shouldn’t blame the drive for now until I get some actual 52x rated media…

The CDRW issue still concerns me though, as the supplied disc is supposedly 24x rated…

Originally posted by rdgrimes

We have no reason to assume that the 24x RW discs are any more reliable than any other RW discs. One would wonder, given the higher burn speed, if they may even be less reliable and less “compatable” with other drives.
Someone should start a educational thread on these new discs, Id like to know are they more or less reflective, less likely to be playable in other drives, etc., etc.

Any time that the write speed is increased, the readability in older drives is potentially decreased because the drive is spinning faster, and because of that the laser spends less time on each part of the disc. Because it doesn’t remain on the same spot as long, the depth of the pits and grooves are slightly reduced. That can reduce the readibility of the CD. That is where media quality comes in. If a CD-R or CD-RW is properly designed, a shorter amount of laser contact time will produce a deep pit or groove. I would try a high quality CD-R like RiTek or Taiyo Yuden that is certified for the speed of your burner, and if you still have problems, I would begin to think that your drive might be defective and you should begin at looking to exchange it for a replacement drive. I have a LiteON 40x overclocked to 48x and I am able to burn 32x rated CD-R at 48x that will read in all but the oldest CD-Rom drives, so I should think that only going from 48 to 52 shouldn’t make much of a difference.

Burning at that high of a speed, you should try using some certified 48x cdrs and do a 52x burn again. With that high of a speed, you’ll definitely need some quality media. My friend tried using the LiteOn 52/24/52 to burn 32x rated media at 52x and failed.

…Because it doesn’t remain on the same spot as long, the depth of the pits and grooves are slightly reduced…

Not necessarily. Laser power is increased to compensate. The entire profile for 52x writing is different depending on burn strategy, media brand/type, CAV/PCAV/ZCLV, etc… That’s why FW contains profiles for each recording speed & media. What you may find, however, is a kind of “smearing” of the pits depending on drive/media/strategy. There were some electron-microscope slides on the net showing this.

Here you are Electron Microscope Pictures of the CDR Tracks

I did some more extensive testing, and here are the results:

-The burner would read everything it burned at full speed (24x CDRW writes, 52x CDR writes), regardless as to the media used…

-24x CDRW media supplied with the drive was not readable in anything at full speed when burned at 24x (very slow to read files at the end, or CRC errors in other drives)…

-16x generic 74 min media that the drive claimed it could burn at 52x didn’t work (very slow to read files at the end on 3 different readers)…

-24x generic 80 min media/24x TDK 80 min worked fine at 52x…

Drives used for read testing were a Plextor 24/10/40, Sony CDU5211 52x reader, and Sony CRX140E 8x burner…

So, in conclusion, the CDRW thing is still an issue - Either the media provided is crap, or the drives I tested with just aren’t very capable CDRW readers…

Hopefully this problem is fixable through f/w updates. My friend just got the LiteOn 52x recently and I’m looking to put the same in my next rig. Either that or there’s also a 52/24/52 drive sold by Digital Research at my work but I don’t know who the manufacturer is or whether or not it’s a good drive.