5115GHC+ and Aspect Ratios

OK, I’ve been tearing my hair out on this one.

My Lite-On 5115GHC+ ALWAYS outputs its VTS-.IFO file with a 4:3 aspect ratio. I am trying to do some 16:9 shooting with my Panasonic GS300 camcorder (chops the 4:3 from top and bottom and calls that 16:9, really). My Magnavox TP2784C TV seems to play the “16:9” video at full screen w/o top and bottom black bars (people are stretched thin) no matter how I set the Playback Aspect Ratio in the Lite-on setup menu. The TV has no aspect ratio adjustments in the menu that I can find. The TV is probably 7 or 8 years old.

I suspect my TV first and the camcorder second (since its not true 16:9), but I would like some info on how the DVD recorder decides what to write in the VTS-.IFO file as far as aspect ratio.

thanks for any advice.

Todd K.

The DVD writer as far as I know always writes the header as 4:3, My 5055GDL+ and DVDR80 both only record in 4:3 format so if the original source was 16:9Amorphic then everyone goes all thin.

The easyish way to sort this out is to make a DVDRW disc, import it into your PC and use IFOEdit to edit the IFO files on the PC. There is a single setting in the IFO that specifies 4:3 and 16:9 formats, just change to the one needed.