50th Anniversary Godzilla Movies - WTF?

vbimport

Trying to make backups of Godzilla vs Gigan and Godzilla vs Hedorah (50th Anniversary Editions). Strange thing is, they work GREAT on the computer if I play them back in a DVD-ROM but no output at all on any of my stand-alones. I’ve tried DVDDecrypter, AnyDVD, CloneDVD2 (latest versions of all of the above) and several combinations of the three. Any ideas on how to get some good backups on these? Some new Japanese copy-protection that we don’t know about yet?

what media are you using? DVD+R or DVD-R? what is the burner? if it is DVD+R does your burner support Bitsetting?

Media
Memorex
Disc ID: MCC-003-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: MCC-003-00

Burner
Plextor PX-716A (1.04)

I’ve burned 3 different movies from this new 50th Anniversary set and the only one that seemed to work was a Fuji blank:

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: YUDEN000-T02-00

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: YUDEN000-T02-00
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,134,495

Not sure about the bitsetting, how would I go about checking that? Should I just start buying Fuji media from now on? The really weird thing is, the ones that don’t work in my high-end Sony stand-alones work great in my daughter’s cheap ass Audilogic player.

Not sure about the bitsetting, how would I go about checking that? Should I just start buying Fuji media from now on? The really weird thing is, the ones that don’t work in my high-end Sony stand-alones work great in my daughter’s cheap ass Audilogic player.

Plextools professional should have come with your drive. if not you can download it from plextor. ( for the link and more info on plextools check out the thread on it in the plextor forum.) run plextools go to “drive settings” and check the box that says " change booktype for DVD+R" this will set the booktype to DVD Rom which increases the disc’s compaitability with most stand alone players as there are still alot of them that wont play a DVD+R.

I have a high dollar stand alone player that wont play copied DVD+R disc’s if the booktype has not been set to DVD Rom. but my daughters cheapo 39.00 player will play them just fine. Nero also supports Booktype setting as well.

Will this have an effect on AnyDVD and CloneDVD? Why have all my copies except these worked just fine? Both of my high-end players play +R/-R/+RWs, natively.

I’ll give it a shot, thanks.

Sorry for the Double… where’s the EDIT button?

Anyway, the Selection you mention under Drives->Advanced says “Change booktype for DVD+R” Should this be checked or unchecked? With it checked, it made no difference, the backup still would not work. I locks up as soon as I hit PLAY.

yes the box next to "change DVD+R booktype"should be checked. if that didnt make a difference then it must be something to do with the original disc you are copying from. I dont have any experience with that title so I cant tell you if there is some new form of protection on it or not. maybe someone else will know.

It’s gotta be some kind of new copy protection scheme. They play great in any computer, great on the super-cheapo player and not at all on my high-end Sony players. Incidentally, it’s only the 50th Anniversary editions of these titles and they are released by Sony Pictures.

Anyone running into the same problems with any of these titles?

BUMP

No replies in two weeks… surely someone else has run into this?