5045 'Flash' and DEAD

vbimport

Stupid me…I was in the process of installing a new recorder for my 5045 when I unplugged the wrong machine. So the 5045 was still plugged in and was on and I moved the new recorder slightly over the back left circuit board and a flash occured. Good news no harm done to me. Bad news 5045 is now dead.

So now I need to try and figure out what shorted out. Are there some tips that can help me do this?

Thanks

You might want to check the fuse on the power board. As you pointed out, by moving the drive back you hit the power board and it flashed, not sure about the flash but I would check the fuse which is right next to the power cord is soldered on the board.

It should be a small white ceramic fuse, they might have marked it with a felt pen, probably as an inspection test, you’ll need a multitester and verify the continuity of the fuse (5045 unplugged).

You might be lucky and the flash might have blown the fuse before any more damage could occur so if the fuse is burndt, to me that’s a good sign, hopefully just replacing the fuse might do it.

Fingers crossed!

Yeah…I am hoping it might just be the fuse…I will try to get a fuse tester tomorrow and see what I can tell.

Well the good/bad news is that the fuse is fine. so obviously something else is burned out, can’t tell by looking at the board what might be out so not sure how to proceed.

By the way…I also have an Accurian 3223…basically a lite-on with an 80gb drive. Curious as to whether if i put the 160 gb drive in it from my 5045 will it recognize the contents of the drive and also be able to utilize the entire drive for recording purposes?

[QUOTE=maineiac;2035849]Well the good/bad news is that the fuse is fine. so obviously something else is burned out, can’t tell by looking at the board what might be out so not sure how to proceed.

By the way…I also have an Accurian 3223…basically a lite-on with an 80gb drive. Curious as to whether if i put the 160 gb drive in it from my 5045 will it recognize the contents of the drive and also be able to utilize the entire drive for recording purposes?[/QUOTE]

check the following links as you will need hacked firmware from mikeb who has hacked the firmware so that the liteons can recognise an fully use a larger hdd. Weather this will work on liteon clones, I’m not sure but it can be a risk when changing firmware.

http://ccgi.mgillespie.plus.com/liteon/smf/index.php?topic=4795.0

http://ccgi.mgillespie.plus.com/liteon/smf/index.php?topic=4803.0

The 3223 might recognize the 160GB from the 5045. If it does great, I would suggest not to use the full HDD erase command as it would only reformat up to 80GB in the 3223. You’ll need to erase individual titles under the edit command.

I’ve upgraded the HDDs in my 4 ILO HD04s (2x250, 1x200, 1x160) and that’s the way that I have to work with it in order to keep the additionnal space on the HDDs.

Not sure about the links that tazprime provided, I tried looking at them but I need to actually register to that forum for them to allow me to see their postings.

[QUOTE=CrazyCanuck;2038003]The 3223 might recognize the 160GB from the 5045. If it does great, I would suggest not to use the full HDD erase command as it would only reformat up to 80GB in the 3223. You’ll need to erase individual titles under the edit command.

I’ve upgraded the HDDs in my 4 ILO HD04s (2x250, 1x200, 1x160) and that’s the way that I have to work with it in order to keep the additionnal space on the HDDs.

Not sure about the links that tazprime provided, I tried looking at them but I need to actually register to that forum for them to allow me to see their postings.[/QUOTE]

If you use the hacked firmware from mikeb in the links given you can erase the hdd to your hearts content as it will not go back to the original hdd’s capacity, but will always give you the new full larger capacity of the new hdd.

The other way is to format yor larger hdd in FAT32 with 64K clusters, but you will lose the extra capacity if you did a disk erase.

Thanks for the comments…my first plan is to just put the 160gb hdd from the 5045 into the 3223 without doing anything else and see if that works…if not then I am generally familiar with the process I will need to go through to get a larger hdd to work…but of course I will first copy all of the movies from my existing hdd to my computer before I format the drive.