500W Powersupply too much for my Pentium 3?

Hi,
I know what your thinking-- your still using a pentium 3?!

I know I need to upgrade but I cant afford it right now.

What I plan to do is buy my case and a power supply that I can transfer my current system to.

I need a power supply that will work for my future upgrade.

I was gonna get this power supply-

What I’m wondering is will I damage either that power supply or my P3 computer by combining them into one system?

Will the Powersupp. be too much for the P3 and MoBo thus frying them?

Could I burn out the powersupp. by not allowing it to expend its output?

It will only need to last a couple months till I can save enough to buy the rest of my new PC components all at once.

Assuming that your pentium 3 computer uses a standard atx power supply, you could use a 1000 watt power supply if you wanted. the power supply doesn’t put that much power through the computer. Rather, the computer only uses as much power as it needs, up to the maximum limit of the power supply. Having too small of a power supply will cause problems but having too big will make no diffrence whatsoever. Your old pentium 3 computer might use 200 watts or less, and even with a much larger power supply, that is all the it will use.

think of it kind of like a wall socket. It can output up to 15 amps (on the average socket), but say you plug in a cel phone to charge. Its going to use less than 1 amp and the wall socket is not going to force 15 amps through it. It only draws the current it needs. If you tried to run something over 15 amps though, it would trip the breaker.

It’ll work (if its ATX that is) although I’d highly suggest a PSU with a 120mm fan.
//Danne

No it’s never too much, the more you have the better it is. :slight_smile:

500W for a P3 is more than enough and can be a good potential prospect for future upgrades. Although I noticed this theory never works out for me, such as an example when I had bought my Antec 550W when it just hit the market and I too was on a P3. Now I got a new Antec 550W Gold series because of added connectors for SATA and SLI ready feature which help lessen cable clutter and it does overall supply more juice to the system. Just a lil something to keep in mind.

You cannot have too much power - the wrong kind… AT / ATX 20 pin / ATX 24 pin - or lacking extra connectors, but not too much.

No real-world application would ever be below the minimum load.

NB. The 20/24 pin issue has several variations:

1. Some motherboards accept 20 or 24, leacing the extra 4 unused if a 20 pin PSU is connected - this is ONLY possible if the motherboard specifies it.
  2. It may be possinble to “overhang” the remaining 4 when fitting a 24 pin PSU to a 20 pin motherboard.
  3. Best solution is a splittable 20+4 PSU connector, second best is a cable adapter, due to risk of additional voltage drop on the contacts.

Excellent, just looked at the one you say, and it’s a splittable 20+4 with all the connectors a current system should need. So unless the old wreck needs AT instead of ATX, then you’re good to go.

Thanks for the help everyone!

My comp. is ATX so I’ll be okay.

I think my future system will comprise of an AM2 AMD X2 since the new slashed prices are so low. A newer PCI-E vid card (7800 or 1800), 2gb ram, 1 SATA HDD, 3 PCI devices, 2 DVD burners, and at least three case fans.

Should that PS suffice?

Thanks again for all your help.

I think you’ll be OK with that PSU. I’m using a 400W SmartPower 2.0 atm and have no complaints. :slight_smile:

I have ran an overclocked athlon xp 2500, 1 gig of ram, 4 pci cards, 6 hard drives, 4 optical, a half dozen or more fans etc. off a 465 watt. you should be good. The areas where you generally run into problems are overclocking (that ones still big enough for overclocking), high end video cards (that one should be big enough for most if not all single high end video cards). If you were to overclock, have a very high end video card, and a fully loaded system like what I described, you are probably getting into the area where you might be maxing it out (in part due to the split 12v rails). If you were to overclock, run sli with high end video cards, and have a fully loaded system, you might very well exceed the power it could handle.
With what you are starting with it should be more than enough and leave you plenty of room for upgrading (higher end video, overclocked processors, sli etc are the bigest power hogs that may require atention to what exactlly they require).
Fyi water cooling, pelt cooling if powered off the main power supply would of course also be areas where you might need more power.