5007 TV Guide question

vbimport

OK 5007 guys…can anybody provide any ideas on this? I’m surprised that the TV Guide programming data is downloaded FOR FREE :slight_smile: from the cable system. Tivo, as we all know, charges for this data. SOMEBODY has to type all that crap into the system. How is this system FREE?? I’m GLAD it is free, of course, and don’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth, I’m just curious about this. How are the programmers getting compensated for this and is this expected to be available long-term? Tivo originally offered a “lifetime” fee but later on many purchasers discovered the fine print…they were referring to the “useful lifetime of the product” not the purchaser’s lifetime. Rats! Anyway all that data being free seems rather amazing and I’m hoping it remains available. I’m just wondering if anyone out there knows anything about this and can shed some light on this for me.

I’m sure the free TV Guide will outlive your recorder. The Gemstar Guide+ has been out for years and still works. I had never even heard of TVGuide On-Screen before I bought the 5007. Normally there are advertisements on the left side of the screen while in the guide, and that’s how it stays free. I have had this unit for 2 weeks, and have yet to see one ad.

Yea, I too was expecting some on-screen advertisements to be there and that would explain the free cost but I too haven’t seen a single ad so far. I can live with that! I am just surprised all that data is free, or at least appears to be free, and that more units aren’t out there taking advantage of this. The 5007 seems to be a 5006 unit without the -R / -RW capability but with the TV Guide. It must have been spec’d by Sears so it would be an exclusive product. No easy way to compare apples-to-apples this way but I’ll take this unit over the “-” capabilities of the 5006. I just wish I could solve the tuner attenuation/noise problem that seems to be a design flaw as many people have reported their tuner works this way as well. You really need that built-in tuner to capture off the cable so it needs to work well but the audio output signal is severely attenuated and sometimes I have to jack up the tv volume so much you clearly hear a very noisy signal. That is the only serious complaint I have with my unit and I hesitate to return it to Lite-On…what could they possibly do to fix this anyway??

Does anyone know what broadcast station the TV Guide on Screen comes from? I have a 5007 that I am testing in our basement. For some reason, even though I have a wire hooking it up to an antennia, I only can get WGAL-TV in Lancaster PA. Would the guide come in piggy-backed on this signal? :confused:

I have an RCA TV with the guide that was good while it lasted. It always gets the channel data/names wrong so I have to go and set them myself. Not only that its like it doesn’t download the data anymore so you don’t know you have no data until “oh I think I’ll see what’s on later” BAM! You get the message saying the TV has to download the listings. I thought it was suppose to be automatic?

When my unit was first setup or manually “reset” it must download the TV Guide data. When it completes the download overnight and you turn it on it finds four listings to choose from (different listings shown for Comcast). You must choose the correct one (they are not all the same) or the channels will be mixed up. You may have to experiment until you find the correct one. This could be your problem…I don’t know. I’m not sure why the channels line up the way to do, either. I reordered all the channels in ascending order. You’d think it could handle that automatically. I also found the clock is very finicky. The 12:## noontime hour is displayed as 0:##. When you try to set the clock to the exact time you cannot. Plus after a system reset the clock CANNOT be set correctly at all BUT does seem to be fine after the TV Guide download is completed overnight! My unit recently stopped recording scheduled recordings for some crazy reason. It simply wouldn’t record anything scheduled anymore. I reflashed the firmware (that had no effect) and reset the system and the TV Guide and it seems to be working again. I don’t know if a power outage might affect it or if this is somekind of “lockup” people have been seeing. It responded to the remote but simply wouldn’t record anything scheduled…even a manually scheduled recording. My 30 days are up…I’d like to return this thing but really am fond of the TV Guide functionality and I like the +R +RW format so getting a 5006 isn’t really what I want. Why are these things so fussy??? It’s not the hacked firmware. They are simply very picky. Of course not very long ago a DVD burner for a PC was well over $150 and this unit was $150 and includes a burner, the case, display, and CPU/electronics to interface the unit. So the price is cheap…perhaps too cheap to expect more reliable operation.

So the price is cheap…perhaps too cheap to expect more reliable operation.

I agree/disagree with that. Yes, sometimes the saying “You get what you pay for” is true, but does that mean they can sell us crap that barely works and let us be their beta testers? I don’t think so, but on the other hand, the 5007 does have a lot of features for the price. I was very happy with it except for the fact that every time it locked up it had to be unplugged, and the TV guide had to be dowloaded all over again. I barely got one full day of listings before it locked up and had to be unplugged to fix it.

To answer the question from ‘dmickey’ the TV Guide downloads over a PBS station, but if you are only getting one station in the basement, then what good would the guide be to you?

BTW, I found a Panasonic DMR-E85H on clearance at Circuit City for $399 which also has the TV Guide On-Screen service built in. I immediately returned my 5007 and bought the Panasonic. I now have all 8 days of program listings and not one lockup. I guess you do get what you pay for… :wink:

So the price is cheap…perhaps too cheap to expect more reliable operation.

I agree/disagree with that. Yes, sometimes the saying “You get what you pay for” is true, but does that mean they can sell us crap that barely works and let us be their beta testers? I don’t think so, but on the other hand, the 5007 does have a lot of features for the price. I was very happy with it except for the fact that every time it locked up it had to be unplugged, and the TV guide had to be dowloaded all over again. I barely got one full day of listings before it locked up and had to be unplugged to fix it.

To answer the question from ‘dmickey’ the TV Guide downloads over a PBS station, but if you are only getting one station in the basement, then what good would the guide be to you?

BTW, I found a Panasonic DMR-E85H on clearance at Circuit City for $399 which also has the TV Guide On-Screen service built in. I immediately returned my 5007 and bought the Panasonic. I now have all 8 days of program listings and not one lockup. I guess you do get what you pay for… :wink:

Sorry for the double post…I have no idea why it did that???

There is a firmware fix for the Panny e85 available on the internet. See the AVS Forum
for lots of info on the Panny e-85. I had a e85 and returned it because it would only record rewriteables on RAM disks. If it had -RW I would have kept it. The Panny is a nice unit. I still have my 5007.

So how do you get the TV Guide feature to work? Mine has no listings, just says “There is no data” all the time.