5006 Finalizing Issue Solved w Firmware Update

DVDs that I had finalized in my 5006 had stopped playing in DVD players other than the 5006 and computers (see http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=150462&highlight=finalizing).

When I sent an e-mail to Lite-On tech support, they sent me back a message written in their hilarious pseudo-English suggesting that I update the firmware. Yeah, right, like that’s going to help. I was pessimistic, but as a last step before plunking down aroound $160 for a new unit, I tried it. And lo and behold, it worked!

Thought I would pass this info on, since no one responding to my plight had mentioned that fix, and this site has provided me with a lot of useful support in the past.

So the bottom line: if rebooting doesn’t work, install or reinstall the latest firmware!

Regards,

Bill

very interested what was your old fw and new fw. Please respond

The old firmware was that which came installed on the unit. I had not upgraded it before because I figured “if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.” The new firmware was the latest version, which I downloaded from Lite-On’s website, following their directions. The name of the file is LNHA1101.E30.

Hope this info helps.

Bill

@Bsquared18 - Glad it worked out for you!!! What country and serial number did you use to get the update and what was your serial number after the update?

Country = USA. Why is the rest relevant?

Bill

All info is useful as it can help to identify differences in the firmwares which are often revealed in the serial numbers, even by just one digit change.

@Bsquared18 - The serial number you used to get the updates that was asked for is not the serial number of the unit that you bought and makes that unit unique to you as the owner but the internal serial number from the setup screen. The Country and internal serial number are useful in seeing what fw you had on the drive before and after the updates and in determining what could be done to help you.

I see, jm1647. However, I posted this msg as an FYI on an issue that has been solved. No further help needed, as far as I can tell (unless you want to help me with my heating-bill payments…), but thanks anyhow.

Bill