So I attempted to swap out my 411s drive from my LVW-5005, and replace it with a new 1693s drive.
For the “most” part, it works - but NOT in some very important ways.
I put in a DVD-R and it preped it just fine (I didn’t record yet because I had no inputs hooked up to record from).
I put in some DVD-RWs I had made previously with the 5005 and they played back just fine.
I put in some personal DVD ‘backup’ copies I have made on my PC (ie DVDs copied with DVD X Copy) and they play just fine.
The problem happens when I try to play any commercial store bought DVD. Either they don’t play at all, or they freeze a few seconds after the FBI warnings. I have tried a number of DVDs and none of them will play.
I don’t know if this will help, but here is my system info and what I did for the swap:
My 5005 mainboard says “LVW5006A REV:01”
My old serial number (hacked - region free - no macro - 3 hr mode) :
My new serial number WITH ORIGINAL 411 drive (after downloading the new FW from liteon (LNFA1101.E10) and using the ILOHack.exe program on it:
My new serial with NEW 1693s drive (with the KS0B firmware update on the drive): 0102-1140-0101-KS0B
Also of note here is that the link everybody posts to LiteOn to grab the new firmware (http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_downloads/e_firmware_dvd%20rw.asp?Flag=1&Item=DR16KS0B&Model=SHOW-1693S)
has a small problem. Every link I try and click on that site essentially just refreshed the page. I have tried on 2 different computers and on both IE and Firefox and get the same results. Can anyone download the firmwares from Liteon or is it just me that is having this problem?!
I ended up finding the file at
So I don’t know if that is some goofy version of the firmware or if that has anything to do with the screwiness I am experiencing.
And yet another thing - people kept saying I should both download the new firmware for the 5005 and at the same time only use up to the 0098 firmware or hack, and I never quite understood how I was supposed to be able to do both.
As I said, I just dl’d the latest firmware (LNFA1101.E10.0102.114x.zip was the file name) and used the ILOHack.exe program. I burned the resulting file in Nero, and loaded it into the 5005 and it worked fine.
As for my new 1693s, I updated the firmware using the KS0B.EXE file I found at softwarepatch.pl - which was all done under WinXP and was not a Dos based firmware patch.
So I know that is a load of info, but I have no clue as to what to try next.
I guess I can be happy with my 5005 only being mainly a recorder, but I would really like to get it to function fully.