50-Packs of worthless Prodisc DVD-Rs

vbimport

Hi guys, last month, I ordered 200 prodisc 8x dvd-rs from supermediastore.com 3 of the 4 packs worked great but one 50-packs bundle
just did not work. I use a lot of dvd-rs to burn movies in DVD format, however, when I burnt using these discs, I was able to burn them fine but wasn’t able to watch any of them when I put them in both of my standalone dvd players. It says “No Disc” in both dvd players. I tried different burning softwares and different movies and the disc burnt successfully but just weren’t playeable. I am using an NEC-2150A. My friend’s Pioneer DVR-108 burner didn’t even recognize the disk when I put different discs from the same bundle in… it kept on asking to insert media.

Anything I can do to get these things to work?

-hades

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID MCC 02RG20
Format Capacity Blank Disc
Free Blocks 411107328
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-ROM
Media Type DVD-R
Manufacturer Rated Speed 8.0x 11080KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 09
2x Speed OPC power 0D
2x Write Strategy field 1 13 87 78 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 05
4x Speed OPC power 15
4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 10 0B 0A
4x Write Strategy field 2 98 08 0F 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 80 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 07
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 19
4x Write Strategy field 4 15 A7 88 75
4x Write Strategy field 5 99 BC AA A2 20 22
4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code                           

00000000 00 6A 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 85 0D 10 .j…@…R…
00000010 88 9A 80 00 03 4D 43 43 20 30 32 00 04 52 47 32 …MCC 02…RG2
00000020 30 20 20 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00 06 09 0D 13 0 …

Maybe SuperMediaStore will replace them or give you a refund.

Not likely :disagree: . Try to return them! They are obviously defective.

“Prodisc”? Is this the actual brand on the package?? Never heard of Prodisc-branded MCC02RG20. Could be fakes. :confused:

Have you tried another media in your NEC so you can rule out a hardware problem?

It’s definitely the discs, not my NEC burner. I didn’t keep the receipt so, I don’t think I can return :frowning: ehhh… I’m really disappointed at supermediastore.com, I’ve never had this problem before with them.

It says on the label it’s Prodisc. I don’t think I’m going to buy another prodisc again.

Prodisc has made dvd for Verbatim in the past (now mostly made by CMC and MBI). It is maybe a backstock rebadged with prodisc brand.

Makes sense. :slight_smile:

If you browse the forum, you’ll see that there is no reliable brand (not talking about manufacturers here) apart from Verbatim and maybe Plextor. There were more reliable brands in the past (Philips, Sony, Fuji, Maxell, Pioneer) but now they’re all changing their outsourcing too often, in an unexpected fashion, and the consistency is not guaranteed from one disc model to the next, sometimes not even from one batch to the next…

Prodisc is able to produce OK media, but as a brand I think it’s definitly not to be trusted…

Without the receipt, you can still try to exchange them for something else… at least you’ll have tried :wink:

Thanks for the help guys, I’ll see what I can do by calling them up.

Forgot TDK in my list of once-were-reliable…

I think a friend of mine bought some Prodisc from Supermediastore that had the MCC 02RG20 code… A handful had horrible visual dye defects, maybe it’s a batch they made with MCC dye that didn’t meet Verbatim’s quality standards?

Plextor can be trusted but plextor is quite expensive in most stores.
So can JVC. But JVC’s media seem to be hard to find in some places.
That’s. However that one will be hard to find outside Japan.
And for +R you could use Ricoh. (Not for -R with the CMC manufacturerd media)

Verbatim is probally the most easy to get reliable media.

to tehGrue. Hmm let me say this there is a lot of media by Prodisc on the market which shouldn’t be there according to MCC/MKM quality standards.

Plextor: Here in Europe they can be found for cheaper than unbranded TYs… but I don’t know much about other models than TYG02s.

JVC : I’m not convinced. Some JVC discs I’ve tried here (4X -R, 2X RW) finished in the trash (that was before I knew about manufacturers, quality scans etc… so I can’t prove my claims). Many coasters.

That’s: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: bring them on!! I wouldn’t buy anything else, ever. Sadly, never heard of any being sold out of Japan.

Ricoh: as you mention yourself, they have reliable and less reliable discs.

That’s why I was only mentioning Verbatim… :wink:

Cheers :slight_smile:

Strange because the -R plextors are actually harder to get.
PLextor started with only 4x +R taiyo yuden for 8x they also introduced -R.
That’s why they only have +R also on spindels.
For Plextor taiyo Yuden +R in france I can recommend. (But also Verbatim Pastel and normal Verbatim media)
http://www.cdrvierge.com/

JVC : I’m not convinced. Some JVC discs I’ve tried here (4X -R, 2X RW) finished in the trash (that was before I knew about manufacturers, quality scans etc… so I can’t prove my claims). Many coasters.

4x -R from JVC was allmost completely made by maxell or Taiyo Yuden. Hmm strange that you had problems with or were you really that unlucky to encounter a prodisc manufacturerd batch.

That’s: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: bring them on!! I wouldn’t buy anything else, ever. Sadly, never heard of any being sold out of Japan.

On very rare occasions sometimes that’s branded media ends up outside Japan.

The -R 8X Plextors are sold (at an excellent price) at the shop you mention… :wink: - actually I was myself referring to their belgium shop when stating that these discs could be found at a lower price than unbranded TY around here.

As for JVC, well, difficult to say. You’re probably right (you often are… :flower: )

Actually JVC -R 8X discs are “MJC ME” at present. Very difficult to find reliable infos on this mediacode, at videohelp only 6 comments… and nothing here except questions. No first-hand comments.

I’m pretty sure the JVC 8x DVD-R 5 pack in jewel cases (model VDR47EU5) is still TYG02.

Last disc’s I used from JVC ( which was today) dvd-r were TYG02.
The 8x -R stuff currently sold is MJC ME ( reports are ok ) or TYG02 (Very good as allways). So far I only can get the JVC Taiyo Yuden -R stuff or the JVC ricoh +R myself and for that I have to pay to much. Thanks to our Dutch levy. :frowning:

Current JVC branded media distributed in the USA is trash!
They rebadge media from Wealth Fair Investment made in China.

I’ve also checked JVC brand 4x DVD-R in the USA and found it had a MID of ProdiscS03!

Wesociety, I know the spindle stuff is no good, but last I checked the jewel case 8x -R in the box was TY media, unless something has changed.